Kill Bin Laden on 60 minutes

It's my understanding that missions are planned and executed by "boots on the ground" in regards. Interesting that this wasn't the case this time as I'm sure the initial plan would have been effective. In sum, regardless of the "righteousness of the cause", is whistle blowing really the best way to settle something contained by an NDA? Fakes beards and gay non de plumes aside?

I picked up the book on Itunes, since I do a lot of driving, I had time to listen. It was nice to see someone give credit to other units, especially the NG, when its due. Though he should have let someone else write the thing; his writing sucks...

Personally I dont think it should have been written (its airing dirty laundry), but I salute the Maj for his service to our country...

I just started reading this book, yeah he does suck at writing. I am going to be optimistic about thie read until I am complete. I did read "The Mission, The Men, and Me" by Pete Blaber recently. I don't know these two guys personally so I can't bash them. I have a shit ton of reading material if anyone is interested in my list. Let me know.

I enjoyed reading Dalton's book and understood the situation more clearly after reading Gary Berntsen's book Jawbreaker.

I enjoyed reading Dalton's book and understood the situation more clearly after reading Gary Berntsen's book Jawbreaker.

I haven't read Jawbreaker, but it's on my list....however after thumbing through it awhile back at B&N, I thought to myself, how in the hell can you glean anything out of this, it was like 3/4 (prolly exaggerated) redacted. Have there been later editions? Perhaps I am thinking of the wrong book, but I thought it was this book and a prologue indicating an ongoing battle with the Agency's department that handled this.

I have a little ways to go with Kill Bin Laden, had mowed through a huge portion, then set it down, and haven't gone back to it. Not sure my opinion would be worth much on the book overall, but have found it interesting so far. Hopefully I can learn something.

I enjoyed the bits about how he praised his men, their background and the Night Stalkers (}:-)). Kinda hoped I would actually get to the part when they put a .308 between UBLs eye balls. Still the strobe light and Spectre gunship part was funny, even though it was dangerous.

Got an audiobook if anyones interested.

I haven't read Jawbreaker, but it's on my list....however after thumbing through it awhile back at B&N, I thought to myself, how in the hell can you glean anything out of this, it was like 3/4 (prolly exaggerated) redacted. Have there been later editions? Perhaps I am thinking of the wrong book, but I thought it was this book and a prologue indicating an ongoing battle with the Agency's department that handled this.

I have a little ways to go with Kill Bin Laden, had mowed through a huge portion, then set it down, and haven't gone back to it. Not sure my opinion would be worth much on the book overall, but have found it interesting so far. Hopefully I can learn something.

I don't know if there are more editions for Jawbreaker. I wouldn't know if it was exaggerated or not because I didn't have any real prior knowledge of what was going on in A'stan (after 9-11) before reading these two books. The one thing I didn't like is the CIA read Jawbreaker and blacked out sentences and even paragraphs, and Gary left the blacked out parts in the book.
But overall both were good books, but I preferred Jawbreaker over Kill Bin Laden.

Has anyone read First In, by Gary Schroen?
I thought it was pretty good, and quite a career bookend.

Quite something if you've read Steve Coll's Ghost Wars, which starts out in '78 (?) as the US Embassy in Islamabad gets invaded by mad locals. There's young Schroen embarking on his career helping to organize Embassy defense.

It made me wonder if he has a nose for trouble, or if shit just always happens to him.

Has anyone read First In, by Gary Schroen?
I thought it was pretty good, and quite a career bookend.

Quite something if you've read Steve Coll's Ghost Wars, which starts out in '78 (?) as the US Embassy in Islamabad gets invaded by mad locals. There's young Schroen embarking on his career helping to organize Embassy defense.

It made me wonder if he has a nose for trouble, or if shit just always happens to him.

I didn't care for it. I though the book had a number of simple errors that a guy with his background should know. I also thought it to be a bit self-serving. The last issue that I had, and if true it is pretty damning, is his criticism of JSOC's requirements to insert troops in the first place. He made it sound like JSOC would have had guys on the ground before the CIA but JSOC was risk adverse.

I'm sure there were factual parts to the book, but the above made me question some of it.

Back