Las Vegas Shooting

Fucking sick to my stomach.

M.

Muppet - I just cannot wrap my head around discussing the event itself; so allow me to talk around it? In your role as an EMT (if I have your title wrong please forgive and correct!), what happens when something like this begins?

Is it "all hands on deck" and every available ambulance and police tears off to the area, or is it much more coordinated than that?

Same goes for ER's....do they stop taking patients, or just become significantly more choosy until the casualties begin to roll in?

Rest In Peace to the fallen and prayers out for the recovery of the wounded!

That is a truly sad incident!

Reports keep rolling in. Dude was firing from the 32nd floor of the hotel. SWAT teams smoked him, and found multiple weapons inside his room. The shooter was from Nevada.

Sebastian Gorka was suggesting it was a bit odd for a 64 year old like this Stephen Paddock. It will be interesting to see what kind of motivations were involved.

Multiple sources are reporting that several off-duty officers were among those killed and at least one responding to the shooting was critically injured. In some of the videos from concert goers it sounded like police were shooting back at him with rifles from the ground. Terrible tragedy.

Muppet - I just cannot wrap my head around discussing the event itself; so allow me to talk around it? In your role as an EMT (if I have your title wrong please forgive and correct!), what happens when something like this begins?

Is it "all hands on deck" and every available ambulance and police tears off to the area, or is it much more coordinated than that?

Same goes for ER's....do they stop taking patients, or just become significantly more choosy until the casualties begin to roll in?

I am not going to speak for @Muppet , but that is a MCI of epic proportions. On the scene...do-gooders will take injured to several places, there isn't going to be one triage area. For every one bus rider, there will be 10 walking wounded. After you do some semblance of triage, you transport. But to where? There is one level 1 trauma center in Vegas, you think maybe 5 trauma bays at most. Maybe able to clear a dozen, 18 ICU beds. Of course the less wounded would go elsewhere, but how do you shit beds in 4 or 5 hospitals for 400 victims?? You can't. So you put beds in hallways, you board in the ED, you evac by ground and air to other cities.

It isn't a "all hands on deck" at first because you still need busses to respond to regular 911 calls. And hospitals will take whatever comes through the door until a point when the facility declares what we call a Code Triage, which is an external disaster. At that point the level 1 trauma center will divert ambulances to other facilities with non-emergent issues, empty as many ICU beds as possible, discharge people who are with a day or two of being discharged, call in extra staff.

No matter how prepared we like to say we are, we never are. This is a shit sandwich for everyone.

I am not going to speak for @Muppet , but that is a MCI of epic proportions. On the scene...do-gooders will take injured to several places, there isn't going to be one triage area. For every one bus rider, there will be 10 walking wounded. After you do some semblance of triage, you transport. But to where? There is one level 1 trauma center in Vegas, you think maybe 5 trauma bays at most. Maybe able to clear a dozen, 18 ICU beds. Of course the less wounded would go elsewhere, but how do you shit beds in 4 or 5 hospitals for 400 victims?? You can't. So you put beds in hallways, you board in the ED, you evac by ground and air to other cities.

It isn't a "all hands on deck" at first because you still need busses to respond to regular 911 calls. And hospitals will take whatever comes through the door until a point when the facility declares what we call a Code Triage, which is an external disaster. At that point the level 1 trauma center will divert ambulances to other facilities with non-emergent issues, empty as many ICU beds as possible, discharge people who are with a day or two of being discharged, call in extra staff.

No matter how prepared we like to say we are, we never are. This is a shit sandwich for everyone.

From my layman's perspective, this is the moment when the "leadership" "interpersonal skills" and "intelligence" factors on your job application really come into effect. There were direct-interview reports of ambulatory and non-wounded transporting individuals to other locations while the triage identified critically injured and got them over to the nearest facility.

Despite the chaos, the overall impression I gathered was that the victims and medical first responders reacted as best they could - even from an armchair quarterback's white board.

What a horrid event. It.s really hard to wrap my head around this. What a complete coward. The shooter placed himself where even those who CCW could not reach him.

Thoughts and prayers out to all touched by the evil event.

I have a friend who is a CRNA in Vegas.. Have not heard from her yet but I imagine she is hard at work at her hospital during this mass cal event. Praying for her and all the others.

You are spot on. With the number injured, there will be a lot of air and ground transports out to nearby facilities. This number of injured will overwhelm the medical facilities of Las Vegas.

From my layman's perspective, this is the moment when the "leadership" "interpersonal skills" and "intelligence" factors on your job application really come into effect. There were direct-interview reports of ambulatory and non-wounded transporting individuals to other locations while the triage identified critically injured and got them over to the nearest facility.

Despite the chaos, the overall impression I gathered was that the victims and medical first responders reacted as best they could - even from an armchair quarterback's white board.

I have no doubt in my mind that the people who were there, ambulatory victims and people in the crowd, accounted for lives being saved, and the emergency services system did everything it could under unimaginable circumstances.

I will say a large MCI is the closest thing to combat I have seen where your mind is juggling 10 things, 8 of which are already outdated by new information by the time they pop into your head.

I'm not very familiar with Vegas but guessing evac out of Vegas is not a trivial challenge. I heard it reported that they have only one Level 1 trauma center to serve the region, to include parts of Arizona, California and Utah. With the number of casualties, I imagine they're even moving some life flights out to LA, Phoenix, Flagstaff, etc.? Pretty overwhelming.

Godspeed to all impacted.

Back