Laser Options

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
Thanks a member of the site, I now know that the Glock 35 I want to buy isn't hot, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I'd like to get a laser for it. I saw an ad for laser lyte, seemed like an interesting concept. It appealed to me because I wouldn't have to get a special holster for it or shell out the $$ for Crimson Trace. I was wondering if any one had used one or had any thoughts about it. I wondered how the sight would hold up to the whiplash effect of the slide cycling forward and backwards when it fired, and whether firing the weapon would make the laser jump around crazily. Thoughts?

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0070303713271a.shtml

s7_713271_imageset_02

I have never used a LaserLyte so no info for that. What I will say is that most of the people I know that use a laser, stop using their sights and rely on the lazer as a sighting device. I would recommend if you do opt to put a lazer on your pistol, insure that you practice as much with your sights as you do the lazer device.

Personally I am not a lazer fan, if it were me I would spend the lazer device money on more ammo.:2c:

I'm a fan of the Crimson Trace Laser grips over anything else out there on the market. Their a tad expensive but you won't be disappointed in Their ease of use, battery life and simple installation.

You won't need any holster modifications either.

I wasn't really a fan either of Laser sighting devices until I took Larry Vickers Tactical Pistol course. Who was I to denounce a secondary sighting device ? He took us through unorthodox shooting advantages with the laser and proper use of the laser in low light and dark conditions. My shooting improved greatly with the Crimson Trace grips.

You just have to know what their use is for. Personally Mara, I wouldn't waste my money on those lasers that you are looking at. They are going to lose their zero on the first recoil of that pistol. Just my .02.

Here is Larry Vickers take on Crimson Trace.

Visible Lasers & CTC Lasergrips
As many of you know I am a consultant for Crimson Trace Lasergrips. I am sure some of you will quit reading right now expecting this to be a “puff piece” talking about how great they are and not admitting any downside. Those of you in that category certainly don’t know me very well. The following is the reality of visible lasers & CTC Lasergrips according to Larry Vickers with no punches pulled.

I used to think, like many others, that pistol lasers were a joke. Fortunately for me I have not had to eat as much crow over this topic as my good friend Ken Hackathorn but I have eaten my fair share. After giving them an honest assessment here is what it really boils down to: a laser on a pistol offers much the same advantages as red dot reflex sights on a carbine or SMG. Under stress shooting scenarios they make shooting a handgun a much easier task; they are a very useful tool in the toolbox.

I highlight CTC lasers in my night fire portion of my handgun instruction along with night sights and white light principles and techniques. At night and in conditions of limited visibility they are nothing short of awesome; they make accurate handgun shooting easier than any other sighting system currently on the market. Don’t get me wrong, night sights and white light have their place but a visible laser at night rules. Period. Anyone who has had one of my classes or been taught by Ken Hackathorn can attest to that. They dramatically improve the shooters ability to get accurate hits at night. Of course like anything else visible lasers have pros and cons and we will highlight those in detail.

1) Where and when to use lasers – a rule of thumb is any time you have any degree of difficulty seeing your pistol sights then a visible laser will be an advantage. For instance coming into a building from outside even during the day the laser will be of value indoors. Out in bright daylight I prefer my iron sights and find the laser a bit of a distraction. Anytime you combine low or reduced visibility with shooting on the move or unconventional shooting positions the laser is a distinct advantage. Police have found that visible lasers to be a distinct advantage while using a shield; that would fall into the unconventional shooting position category mentioned above. They are also excellent training aids for watching shooter trigger control as any movement during the trigger squeeze will show up on target. When first using the laser shooters will try and eliminate all movement and early on this can cause shooters snatching or jerking the trigger. Once you learn to accept your wobble zone (which is now more visible due to the visible laser on target) then fast and accurate shooting comes more naturally. Once mastered you can shoot faster and more accurate under low light conditions than you ever could with regular pistol sights or even night sights for that matter.

2) Special Considerations with lasers – As a battery operated device occasionally they will need new batteries. Crimson Trace advertises a 4 hour continuous run time on their laser grips. That is sufficient for most use as I can attest; I have not had to change any batteries to date. Oil, solvents, water and dust can all play a part in making the visible laser less than 100% functional. Because of this they do occasionally need maintenance and cleaning. I know that is a shocker to many but it is probably a good idea once in awhile to make sure your pistol is properly cleaned, lubricated, and maintained. That would include your visible laser aiming device. I am a believer in having your laser separate from your white light for a couple reasons. You will always have an enhanced night fighting capability even when your white light is removed and you can have serious issues with retaining zero depending on the light/laser mounting system. For these reasons and others I prefer Crimson Trace Lasergrips over accessory rail mounted light/laser units. One downside is CTC does not make Lasergrips for every service pistol on the market so depending on your gun you may not have an option.

3) Durability and reliability – CTC has sold thousands of M9 Beretta Laser Grips to the US Military. They have been received with overwhelming positive feedback. Remember the M9 does not even have night sights so the Lasergrips add a low light capability that simply did not exist before. This is a huge advantage and many of the troops appreciate it. The visible laser is also very useful for crowd control as the “red dot” seems to cross all language and cultural barriers. As we know combat is the ultimate test bed and CTC has taken lessons learned in the sandbox and is moving forward with a true milspec M9 Lasergrip: water and dust proof. It is being developed as this is written so it is too soon to project a date when they will be available.

My personal favorite CTC Lasergrips are the S&W J frame versions (every J frame on the planet should have them; it is nothing short of a revolutionary shooting aid on that gun), the model 401 M1911 version, and the M9 Beretta Lasergrips. I use and endorse all three of these. That is not to say these are the only ones worth using just that they are my favorites. Another little trick is to send the plastic Lasergrips to David Bowie (not the singer) at www.bowietacticalconcepts.com for his superb stippling. This makes them less slippery and because of the way Dave stipples them it actually enhances the appearance of the grips. I was the first to start this trend with David and I would not use a set without it. Highly recommended.

I will close this by saying if you have not tried a visible laser you should. Especially if CTC makes a pair of Lasergrips for your favorite blaster. Remember they are meant to augment the standard pistol sights, not replace them. They are simply another tool in the tool box.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Copyright 2010 Vickers Tactical, Inc of Fayetteville, North Carolina. All rights reserved.

Look at the LaserLyte customer reviews, 3.2 out of 5. They may be posting the better reviews, but folks aint too happy.
I have CTC on my M-9's and wife Kimber. Love them. I still use my iron sight (daylite shooting), but the CTC is nice for low vis/night time stuff.
The CTC is also a great teaching aid when you have someone with a crappy shot group, you can see the beam move as they dryfire.
The shooter still needs some basic skils this (as others have said) is another tool in the kit.

Back