Last Vietnam Era SEAL Retires

Ravage

running up that hill
http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=82782

CORONADO, Calif. - - Master Chief Special Warfare Operator (SEAL) Kirby D. Horrell, the last active duty SEAL to have served in combat operations during the Vietnam War, retired during a ceremony at Coronado, Ca., Aug. 14.

The ceremony celebrated a career spanning nearly 47 years for Horrell, who enlisted in the Navy on Nov. 15, 1967 and attended Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL as part of class 59 shortly thereafter.

Retired Capt. John McTighe, former teammate of Horrell’s, was a guest speaker for the ceremony and highlighted Horrell’s impact on the on the Naval Special Warfare community.

"The accomplishments we’ve made since September 11, 2001 were made upon your actions," said McTighe. "We’ve built so much on your legacy."

Despite the personal recognition, Horrell shied away from discussing his own accomplishments, instead focusing on the impact of Vietnam era SEALs, as a whole, on the NSW community.

“This ceremony isn’t about me, this is really about all the SEALs who were in Vietnam,” said Horrell. “It’s about all of us who stood shoulder to shoulder fighting a very unpopular war. We built the foundation of NSW that everything today stands on.”

At the conclusion of the ceremony, after being piped over the side with his wife Terri in Navy tradition, Horrell asked the other present members of class 59 to join him in being piped over the side as a Team. One after another, more than a dozen SEALs filed across the red carpet to a standing ovation. With that final walk, Horrell concluded his Navy career surrounded by the very people with whom it had begun.

1zg9slg.jpg

Now time to go fishing :-)

Thank you for your service, Master Chief. Enjoy your retirement, it sounds like it's well deserved.

This part of the story really hit me:

At the conclusion of the ceremony, after being piped over the side with his wife Terri in Navy tradition, Horrell asked the other present members of class 59 to join him in being piped over the side as a Team. One after another, more than a dozen SEALs filed across the red carpet to a standing ovation. With that final walk, Horrell concluded his Navy career surrounded by the very people with whom it had begun.

What an outstanding legacy and example of "warrior-ship."

Thank you for your many years of service Master Chief.

I wish you the very best during this next chapter in your life.

Congratulations Master Chief. Thank You for your decades of service.

Back