Lockheed Martin F35 Hiring Event

I had my old beat-up Lockheed C130B, E, H and HC130B ground maintenance manuals out the other day because I was trying to settle a slight disagreement about a tech matter with another nerd from my old Air Guard unit. I was looking at a particularly exciting section on main landing gear hydraulic motor removal when my youngest kid pops in, looks over my shoulder and says, "Lockheed stuff, huh? I got an interview with Lockheed-Martin in Orlando on Tuesday."

Total surprise to his mom and me. He's a mechanical engineer and has always wanted to get in with one of the big 10 defense firms. He worked for the Naval Surface Weapons Center right out of college, and he's been with a smaller aerospace firm the past few years. So we're hoping he can get in at Lockheed. It's not easy, Lockheed's #1. Far be it for me to imply anything here, but it's easier if you're not a white male.

I had my old beat-up Lockheed C130B, E, H and HC130B ground maintenance manuals out the other day because I was trying to settle a slight disagreement about a tech matter with another nerd from my old Air Guard unit. I was looking at a particularly exciting section on main landing gear hydraulic motor removal when my youngest kid pops in, looks over my shoulder and says, "Lockheed stuff, huh? I got an interview with Lockheed-Martin in Orlando on Tuesday."

Total surprise to his mom and me. He's a mechanical engineer and has always wanted to get in with one of the big 10 defense firms. He worked for the Naval Surface Weapons Center right out of college, and he's been with a smaller aerospace firm the past few years. So we're hoping he can get in at Lockheed. It's not easy, Lockheed's #1. Far be it for me to imply anything here, but it's easier if you're not a white male.

Ever see their Orlando campus? It is massive.

Ever see their Orlando campus? It is massive.

No, have not. If he gets this job I expect I will. His best friend, since like 2nd grade, is a Sri Lankan-American, also a mechanical engineer; got picked up by Lockheed right away, and his friend's wife, a Latina engineer, also works there. So he can use them for references.

I know from reading here you were once contracted with Lockheed? I suspect working as a contractor and being an employee are not really comparable experiences.

I know from reading here you were once contracted with Lockheed? I suspect working as a contractor and being an employee are not really comparable experiences.

Correct, though LM was great to contract for I can't speak to how employees are treated and paid (I imagine quite well). I interviewed out there many years ago and remember walking through the main building. It is massive, one of several, and LM has either one, maybe two, cafeterias on site. It has its own softball field complete with lights. It is as large as, or even larger, than NSA Orlando.

Pull it up on Google maps. It's off of...408 I think? Down 434/ Alafaya Tr.

Rog that.

ETA

Now that’s a defense plant. Wow. Reminds me of Sikorsky and Norden. He said he’d be working on missiles if he gets the job. We’ll see. If not he’ll stay at Pall Aerospace and wait for another opportunity. Kid’s only 27, he’s got time.

Rog that.

ETA

Now that’s a defense plant. Wow. He said he’d be working on missiles if he gets the job. We’ll see. If not he’ll stay at Pall Aerospace and wait for another opportunity.

MFC (Missiles and Fire Control) is who we fell under when I first went to LM in 2005. That contract was eventually moved as part of a re-org into the Division purchased by Leidos in...2016?

MFC is responsible for the THAAD, Patriot, ATACMS, HIMARS, Javelin, etc. missiles...which are also being "sold" to the Ukraine in mass quantities.

That’s perfect for Chris. He loves stuff that blows up. He was working on flying mines at NSWC…at Pall he’s dealing with filters for F35s and the Army’s V-280. Pretty mundane stuff. I know he’d like to get back to weapons systems.

Total surprise to his mom and me. He's a mechanical engineer and has always wanted to get in with one of the big 10 defense firms. He worked for the Naval Surface Weapons Center right out of college, and he's been with a smaller aerospace firm the past few years. So we're hoping he can get in at Lockheed. It's not easy, Lockheed's #1. Far be it from me to imply anything here, but it's easier if you're not a white male.

I’m friends with the Skunk Works VP. If he gets it, in a couple of years after he’s gotten his feet wet and a name for himself shoot me a message.

I’m friends with the Skunk Works VP. If he gets it, in a couple of years after he’s gotten his feet wet and a name for himself shoot me a message.

Thanks, will do…if. He has a good buddy who just left Pall Aerospace for Skunk Works Utah working on UAS/drones etc. So he’s got friends at two LM locations. I’m hoping things work out for him but it’s incredibly competitive.

Back