Looking at the 19th, here are my concerns.

LilChungus

Unverified
I am in the process with my recruiter of going into the 19th, under an 18x. (Or at least I was, until corona messed things up for awhile).

In preparing I'm getting things in order, I have some debt from being out of work from covid, and health stuff I'm worrying about. I also have some logistical questions, hoping this is the right place.

Debt wise, I have about $5,000 in medical debt in collections at the moment. A friend is telling me that if I make around $1,000 payment and a plan to pay on it with my new job, I should be good with a security clearance. Is this true?

Physically, I am sound. Former college athlete, have kept my body in great shape. My bloods are a little wonky, I have higher than average blood pressure and my cholesterol is a bit high. This is more genetic than anything, my doctor has run multiple tests and claims I have the heart of a 20 year old, no LVH or anything else. He tells me that diet and extra cardio will not change these numbers.

Logistics wise... how would you recommend navigating the selection process with a wife in medical school? We live close to the 19th, so ultimately it won't be an issue, but how much will I be able to see her realistically if I make it through the pipeline? Being states away seems daunting.

Thanks for the advice. I'm using the search function, promise. Just nice to have personal response.

Can't help with the money/clearance question. Sounds like a question for your recruiter.

As far as the wife being in medical school, if you get selected, you will move to Bragg permanently until you finish the Q course (roughly 1 year unless your a medic). After which you will move back to whatever state you belong to. From there you will at a minimum fulfil your drill and annual training requirements. You don't not have to reside in the state your unit is in, but you will be required to travel to attend drill and trainings, possibly on your own dime.

If your wife is in medical school you likely won't see her much during the Q and initial training, once you graduate it's on you where you live.

In preparing I'm getting things in order, I have some debt from being out of work from covid, and health stuff I'm worrying about. I also have some logistical questions, hoping this is the right place.

Debt wise, I have about $5,000 in medical debt in collections at the moment. A friend is telling me that if I make around $1,000 payment and a plan to pay on it with my new job, I should be good with a security clearance. Is this true?
Clearance investigations are adjudicated using the 13 adjudicative guidelines. Financial Considerations is guideline F. It's all about threat mitigation and your risk level. If you can properly explain your situation and the steps you are taking to make things right, it will help your case. Ultimately, it's up to the adjudicator at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Can't help with the money/clearance question. Sounds like a question for your recruiter.

As far as the wife being in medical school, if you get selected, you will move to Bragg permanently until you finish the Q course (roughly 1 year unless your a medic). After which you will move back to whatever state you belong to. From there you will at a minimum fulfil your drill and annual training requirements. You don't not have to reside in the state your unit is in, but you will be required to travel to attend drill and trainings, possibly on your own dime.

If your wife is in medical school you likely won't see her much during the Q and initial training, once you graduate it's on you where you live.
Luckily we live near the 19th and she got into school here so that's a relief. I was thinking closer to 2 years away from home. Thank man.

Clearance investigations are adjudicated using the 13 adjudicative guidelines. Financial Considerations is guideline F. It's all about threat mitigation and your risk level. If you can properly explain your situation and the steps you are taking to make things right, it will help your case. Ultimately, it's up to the adjudicator at the end of the day.
I'll do some research, thanks for the link and advice!

Luckily we live near the 19th and she got into school here so that's a relief. I was thinking closer to 2 years away from home. Thank man.

I'll do some research, thanks for the link and advice!
It could be close to 2 years since you have to do basic training, AIT or OSUT, Airborne, pre selection, and selection, then the 1 year Q course. You have to factor in holds between training/phases and recycles.

You'll always have 2 weeks of Christmas block leave no matter where you are in training too.

It could be close to 2 years since you have to do basic training, AIT or OSUT, Airborne, pre selection, and selection, then the 1 year Q course. You have to factor in holds between training/phases and recycles.

You'll always have 2 weeks of Christmas block leave no matter where you are in training too.
I expect as much, my biggest concern isn't such long time away as it is long stretches with zero contact. We're both good with a few weekends or holidays. Would I be able to get leave for things like the birth of a child even if I'm in the middle of training?
Thanks man!

I expect as much, my biggest concern isn't such long time away as it is long stretches with zero contact. We're both good with a few weekends or holidays. Would I be able to get leave for things like the birth of a child even if I'm in the middle of training?
Thanks man!

I doubt you'll get leave, maybe a one or two day pass. It all depends on where you're at in the pipeline.

Thanks man!
During the Q course, you probably won't get more than a pass for a long weekend, where you'll be limited on how far you can travel. You will get full leave during Christmas for 2 weeks where you will be permitted to travel. However your wife could visit you at Bragg anytime given you aren't at camp mackall for SUT, SERE, or Robin Sage. You'd have to get a hotel since you would be in the barracks.

If you're having a kid during the course, the cadre understand, you will be given a "compassionate" recycle that doesn't count against you, and you'll be given paternity leave to be with your wife and kid.

During the Q course, you probably won't get more than a pass for a long weekend, where you'll be limited on how far you can travel. You will get full leave during Christmas for 2 weeks where you will be permitted to travel. However your wife could visit you at Bragg anytime given you aren't at camp mackall for SUT, SERE, or Robin Sage. You'd have to get a hotel since you would be in the barracks.

If you're having a kid during the course, the cadre understand, you will be given a "compassionate" recycle that doesn't count against you, and you'll be given paternity leave to be with your wife and kid.
Oh ok sweet, so she is able to come see me all the time? Not going a year without banging my wife? 😂 here I was trying to figure out how much KY I could sneak in.

Well thank you man, that has been my main concern is restrictions on seeing her. Appreciate the advice.

Oh ok sweet, so she is able to come see me all the time? Not going a year without banging my wife? 😂 here I was trying to figure out how much KY I could sneak in.

Well thank you man, that has been my main concern is restrictions on seeing her. Appreciate the advice.

I'm not sure this is the appropriate takeaway to have here...

I'm not sure this is the appropriate takeaway to have here...
Joking (mostly). Logistically speaking I understand it's going to take a lot out of my relationship, helps a lot to manage her expectations and have guys who have gone through it to show her.

I would plan on not seeing your wife from the time you'll leave for basic (besides family day at the end of basic)to the time you finish selection. While you're in hold at student company waiting for selection you will most likely be fucked with relentlessly by the cadre day and night. Once you get selected and are in the Q course, the environment is a little more predictable (besides the times mentioned above when you'll be at camp mackall). So during the Q course, most weekends you'll be available to have your wife come to Bragg and hang out with you.

I had more debt than that when I joined up. As long as your credit isn’t trash, and you aren’t late on payments it shouldn’t be an issue.
Your credit score, and your delinquency with making payments to your credit make a big impact.

Back