Looking for 1A9X1 (Special Missions Aviation) Information

LEGIO X FRETENSIS

Unverified
Good afternoon, everyone. I have a few questions about the AFSC 1A9X1. I have read just about all I could find about it online (including posts on this site) but most of the information was pretty generalized and cursory. From my research, I have a basic idea of the pipeline and duties, but here are some more in-depth questions I have:

During the pipeline, what is the PT like? Is there no PT at all, just regular morning PT, or PT so rough to make you want to quit?

What are you doing on a daily basis when not deployed and not flying? Is it similar to a mech/tanker job in the Army, where you can head to the motor pool, be told there’s nothing to do, and get released to your barracks? (I doubt this is the case, but I couldn’t find anything related to being in-garrison).

With a pipeline that lasts 1-2ish years, is there any expectation (or commitment) to serve more than a 4 year enlistment?

Almost all of the information I have found online has pertained to current Airmen wishing to crosstrain. Does this group make up a significant portion of the community, or are there a lot of non-priors as well?

A question for those with more recent deployments: I read a Military.com article that this AFSC, especially as an AC-130 gunner, is one of the most stressed in the Air Force recently. It made it sound like there aren’t enough of you guys for the very active mission you are currently doing. So, when you are deployed are you actually sending lead downrange frequently? My understanding is that conventional units have moved more into an advise and assist role post 2014, but are you guys still involved in direct action missions? (I’m sure that some of the more shadowy units are doing all sorts of things around the world right now, and I can’t find any sources on it for a reason).

One more thing: Do all 1A9s fall under the umbrella of AFSOC?

Thanks in advance for helping me out. This looks like an incredible career field and I’m surprised there is so little information out there about it (you’d think an aircrew job in the Air Force would have more resources out there for hopefuls). Much appreciation!

We have a guy currently in that pipeline. He may be able to help you with some of your questions. Search for a thread entitled finally got the jobb or something like that.

Good afternoon, everyone. I have a few questions about the AFSC 1A9X1. I have read just about all I could find about it online (including posts on this site) but most of the information was pretty generalized and cursory. From my research, I have a basic idea of the pipeline and duties, but here are some more in-depth questions I have:

During the pipeline, what is the PT like? Is there no PT at all, just regular morning PT, or PT so rough to make you want to quit?

Yes, you will do PT. If Aircrew PT is too hard, then you are weak.

What are you doing on a daily basis when not deployed and not flying? Is it similar to a mech/tanker job in the Army, where you can head to the motor pool, be told there’s nothing to do, and get released to your barracks? (I doubt this is the case, but I couldn’t find anything related to being in-garrison).

Computer based training, classes, procedure studies, additional duties.

With a pipeline that lasts 1-2ish years, is there any expectation (or commitment) to serve more than a 4 year enlistment?

Almost all of the information I have found online has pertained to current Airmen wishing to crosstrain. Does this group make up a significant portion of the community, or are there a lot of non-priors as well?

There is a large group of non-priors. Go see a recruiter.

A question for those with more recent deployments: I read a Military.com article that this AFSC, especially as an AC-130 gunner, is one of the most stressed in the Air Force recently. It made it sound like there aren’t enough of you guys for the very active mission you are currently doing. So, when you are deployed are you actually sending lead downrange frequently? My understanding is that conventional units have moved more into an advise and assist role post 2014, but are you guys still involved in direct action missions? (I’m sure that some of the more shadowy units are doing all sorts of things around the world right now, and I can’t find any sources on it for a reason).

One more thing: Do all 1A9s fall under the umbrella of AFSOC?

Thanks in advance for helping me out. This looks like an incredible career field and I’m surprised there is so little information out there about it (you’d think an aircrew job in the Air Force would have more resources out there for hopefuls). Much appreciation!
comments in bold above.

Back