Looking For More Info On Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leslie

Unverified
My husband just called from Afghanistan to let me know that 160th approved his application. They're supposed to get him set up with everything when he gets back in a few months. We've been working towards this for awhile, so I'm super excited. I can't find much information on 160th though. I'm the type of person that likes to dig in and research and there doesn't seem to be many forums and such about 160th (as opposed.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some information on what to expect (other than frequent but generally shorter and sometimes last minute deployments). I know he's got training at Bragg first. He's a 68W and from what I can gather, he takes the SOCM course (which I also can't find much info on). I'm estimating it will be 6-9 months? I know that we could end up at Lewis, Campbell or Hunter. I'm from Savannah, so I know a good bit about Hunter already. I don't know anything about Lewis or Campbell, but I'm assuming both are better than where we are now (Drum). Once you get stationed at one of these posts, is it hard to transfer to a different one?

Please don't be afraid to say anything. I'm not the stereotypical Army wife that can't handle this stuff. I'm 150% behind my husband's interest in Special Operations. I'd ask him more, but being deployed he doesn't have much time to talk so I figured I'd be pro-active and find out some stuff on my own.

He has to go through a selection process first. I don't imagine it could be too terribly demanding, but don't count on anything just yet.

He has to go through a selection process first. I don't imagine it could be too terribly demanding, but don't count on anything just yet.
It's the Army. I never count on anything. :)

I'm reading something about a "green platoon" but it's not specific. It looks like a sort of refresher course.

I think it's more of a selecion course. Sure they'll teach you some things while you're there, but they also push you pretty hard and give you the opportunity to quit.

You'll get every thing you need to know during a family brief once and if he completes selection.
Thank you, but that doesn't really help me in preparing for practical things like moving.

Is this selection you're talking about the same thing as green platoon? I've been looking around the net and green platoon is the only thing I'm finding.

Well you should know that's the joy of Army life, last minute moves with minimal knowledge. I'm pretty sure you can figure out the general area where you would be moving if your husband gets accepted; that stuff you can find online. I'm sure the base has it's own website that you can look at as well.

As for selection or Green Platoon, that's for your husband to worry about and he'll get all the info he needs on that when the time comes.

Well you should know that's the joy of Army life, last minute moves with minimal knowledge. I'm pretty sure you can figure out the general area where you would be moving if your husband gets accepted; that stuff you can find online. I'm sure the base has it's own website that you can look at as well.
Yes, that's not really what I'm talking about, but thank you anyway. :)

Yes, that's not really what I'm talking about, but thank you anyway. :)

Oh I know what you are talking about but I'm pretty sure no one on here is gonna gossip about what the wives are like. Live with it and carry on. Quit asking about Green Platoon, that has nothing to do with your impending move.

Guess what I googled 160th SOAR and look what I found, every thing you need to know to help you with your move is on there.

http://apps.mhf.dod.mil/pls/psgprod/f?p=MI:CONTENT:1337695561594416::NO::P4_INST_ID:2695

As for selection or Green Platoon, that's for your husband to worry about and he'll get all the info he needs on that when the time comes.
My husband and I are a team and in our marriage we work on things together. If it's important to him, it's important to me. I have not been asking for any secrets or trying to give my husband an edge or anything, so I really don't understand what you're getting at.

Oh I know what you are talking about but I'm pretty sure no one on here is gonna gossip about what the wives are like.
My question about wives was not even in this thread and it wasn't gossip. It was mentioned that 160th was tight-knit and I asked how the wives get on because (since I assume you read my intro) the quality of the FRG up here is no good. You might not think that's a valid concern, but as a wife, I do.

Live with it and carry on. Quit asking about Green Platoon, that has nothing to do with your impending move.
I'm asking because you keep using the term selection and I'm not find a "selection" like there is with SF. If you didn't want to answer it, you could just say so.

Guess what I googled 160th SOAR and look what I found, every thing you need to know to help you with your move is on there.

http://apps.mhf.dod.mil/pls/psgprod/f?p=MI:CONTENT:1337695561594416::NO::P4_INST_ID:2695
That's just information on Ft. Campbell which may not even be the post we get assigned to. And yes, I do know how to find out information like that. I've already researched a lot of that stuff and it has nothing to do with asking for people's opinions on posts. There's no reason for you to be so sarcastic with me.

Leslie- take some advice, don't argue with people that are trying to help you, a belligerent "you're not telling me what I want to hear" attitude is going to peg you as a bitch, not only that but a bitch that wears her husband's rank and military affiliation - a total detriment to your husband's career. Keep it up and you'll have some of the people on this board look for your husband if he gets to the 160th, maybe even in Green Platoon, or SOCM... or Ranger School or SFAS if those are in his future.

You are too free with the information you put up, and your ability to piss people off is already noted. tone it down - your husband at this moment is nobody, a leg medic, and I'm guessing he's probably an E-4 or new E-5, and you are steadily pissing off the people that could help him in his endeavors to join the Special Operations Community and flourish, those same individuals could also stop his dream of Special Operations if you are seen as a detriment or liability ...

Cards are on the table - how do you want to play the hand?

Think about it.

Leslie, I'm going to do you a favor by shutting down this thread before it gets out of hand. I think you're trying to do the right thing, but you're going about it the wrong way. Go back to my post in your intro thread, and take a little more time to read up on the site and do some more research on Google. The world you are about to enter is nothing like anything you've experienced before, and I wouldn't want you to get off on the wrong foot.

The best thing for you to do at this point is to get in contact with your husband's sponsor. He'll be able to give you the complete scoop on what the unit you're going to join is like today; the best most of us could do is speculate or talk about what life was like when we were in the Regiment. That will probably take a little while; in the meantime, I welcome you to continue to be a member of the site, just please take a little while to get a feel for the culture here; things will be much more enjoyable for you if you understand how we work. I hope you trust me when I tell you that when you look back on this thread after you and your husband have been in the unit for a while, you'll say, "I get it now."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back