M-forgery build

HeloMedic1171

Witch Doctor
Verified Military
so, I've been thinking.... I've been lusting over the Sig556, and I jut missed an opportunity to buy one prior to deployment.... but I want a gas-piston system in a weapon/caliber I'm familiar with. I like the M4, I really do. I just don't like cleaning it CONSTANTLY. I want a weapon with reliability a la AK47, but with the accuracy more like an M14. I thought building my own M4 would be a good compromise. here's what I'm thinking -

either:

Vltor MUR
Noveske Afghan barrel
Bushmaster gas-piston conversion or adam arms gas piston conversion
either a CAS-V rail system or knight's armament rail system
spike's tactical lower with some custom laser engraving and color fill in
Magpul trigger guard
ergo grip or tango down grip in OD
Vltor Emod in OD
and a QD sling swivel and rail-mounted sling mount, with some QDS sights up top. top it off with my EOtech and perhaps later on, an ACOG.

or:

spike's has started taking orders for a piston upper. it's essentially pin it to your lower and go - sights, rails, whole she-bang, just no optics. (obviously). so, I go with :

spike's lower (same as above)
spike's piston upper
Emod
ergo/tango down grip
magpul trigger guard
same optics.

am I putting too many eggs in one manufacturer's basket? I have head good things about spike's but never used them or handled their products... anyon have any experience they'd like to share?

how is Spike's reputation? do they build good products? I've priced this out, and it's going to cost me around 2000-2300, without optics. no way around that, except to get the sig556. still debating on which one I'd rather have, as the sig556 is around 1400-1600, and it's already built, all I'd add would be an Emod. decisions, decisions... thoughts?

There IS something to be said for the FUN and learning experience of building!
I have learned a TON in just the last few weeks since I started. Now to just find the various parts. SO MUCH is unavail/backorder right now.

I'm all for the experience of building, and I'd like to do it. however, my primary concern is that I do not have any bullet launchers at all... so I'm all about bang for the buck at the moment. once I have a pistol or 2 and a rifle/carbine of some kind, I'll look into building... I can take my time with it at that point. :)

If you give me every single part that you mentioned I'll have it assembled for you in an hour. :D

now, when you say, "assembled in an hour"...... do you mean the first list or the second? do you have the tools to attach a barrel to an upper and headspace it?? that's something I'd need help with :) the rest I can do meself.

also, what sort of paperwork is required for things lke a supressor or building a carbine with a mil-spec barrel length (i.e. 14 inches instead of 16, or a short barrel carbine, like a 10")? is it something anyone can do with the right aount of time and a clean arrest record? or do I need special FFL or something?

now, when you say, "assembled in an hour"...... do you mean the first list or the second? do you have the tools to attach a barrel to an upper and headspace it?? that's something I'd need help with :) the rest I can do meself.

also, what sort of paperwork is required for things lke a supressor or building a carbine with a mil-spec barrel length (i.e. 14 inches instead of 16, or a short barrel carbine, like a 10")? is it something anyone can do with the right aount of time and a clean arrest record? or do I need special FFL or something?

Yes, I have all the tools necessary for an AR build and for headspace and timing the barrel.

FOR A SHORT BARRELED RIFLE:

You need to file a Form 1 with BATFE with pass port photos and fingerprints and the Chief of LEO in your city or county sign off on it. Two sets of the Form 1 are required. It cost $200 for this stupid transaction.

Your Chief of Police shouldn't be a turd about signing the Form 1. If he is, then go to your county Sherrif and get him to sign it. It's not their right nor duty to decide who to sign off and who not too, but it does happen.

After all, your going to be scrutinized by the BATFE and the FBI to get the tax stamp approval on your form.

No need for any FFL. If you can legally buy a gun you can get a Form 1 and Form 4 approved, it just takes a lot of time before you actually pin the shorty upper on your lower and fire the damn thing. You can own and possess the shorty upper, just don't get caught shooting it without your approved Form 1 with you.

HTH

FOR A SHORT BARRELED RIFLE:

You need to file a Form 1 with BATFE with pass port photos and fingerprints and the Chief of LEO in your city or county sign off on it. Two sets of the Form 1 are required. It cost $200 for this stupid transaction.

Your Chief of Police shouldn't be a turd about signing the Form 1. If he is, then go to your county Sherrif and get him to sign it. It's not their right nor duty to decide who to sign off and who not too, but it does happen.

After all, your going to be scrutinized by the BATFE and the FBI to get the tax stamp approval on your form.

No need for any FFL. If you can legally buy a gun you can get a Form 1 and Form 4 approved, it just takes a lot of time before you actually pin the shorty upper on your lower and fire the damn thing. You can own and possess the shorty upper, just don't get caught shooting it without your approved Form 1 with you.

HTH

H-Medic - You may also think about setting up a NFA trust for your Class3 stuff. Here's a link You can avoid the Chief LEO (in case he/she doesn't like guns), no finger-prints, and the most important is that anyone listed on the trust can be in possession of the weapon/suppressor.

good idea. so these various forms and tax stamps.... I know 82n said I can own the shorty upper before getting the go-ahead from the BATF, but what about a suppressor? do I need to egister for one before I actually get it in my hands?

I plan on registering my stuff in GA or FL, since that's where I'll likely be living for the next few years. my Dad is bar-certified in both states, so I can ask him to draft the paperwork for me. thanks for the info, Koz :)

H-Medic - You may also think about setting up a NFA trust for your Class3 stuff. Here's a link You can avoid the Chief LEO (in case he/she doesn't like guns), no finger-prints, and the most important is that anyone listed on the trust can be in possession of the weapon/suppressor.

Yeah a trust is the easy way, you can alos do an LLC but it cost more depending on what state you do it through...

Our LE chief in San Antonio is a clown and wont let you have anything cool.:rolleyes: So just about everyone I know with NFA toy's has a trust or llc.

cool. also means it's harder to sue me for some dumb shit regarding the weapons. I'm not a crazy gun-hoarding lunatic (yet....) I just want to own similar hardware to the shit I use on the job - both for home defense and for practice, cuz we all know the army doesn't train enough on marksmanship. right J? looking forward to practicing what you taught me about the front sight post.

good idea. so these various forms and tax stamps.... I know 82n said I can own the shorty upper before getting the go-ahead from the BATF, but what about a suppressor? do I need to egister for one before I actually get it in my hands?

I plan on registering my stuff in GA or FL, since that's where I'll likely be living for the next few years. my Dad is bar-certified in both states, so I can ask him to draft the paperwork for me. thanks for the info, Koz :)

A lot of people say before you assemble the SBR upper, you should have a tax-stamp in hand. Or put a cable lock thru it and throw the key away until you get a stamp. If the ATF feels that you have used the SBR upper without a stamp it could be a little messy. Or make sure you have the story down of how you use it for your military service.

The suppressor, you better have the stamp or it could get real bad very quick. Your best case is the ATF will make you forfeit your suppressor/SBR upper - worst case you'll be a felon, spend 10yrs in jail and get fined $10k. Don't risk it.

The process for the suppressor - You'll find a dealer that has the one you want. If that dealer is out of your state, you'll need to find a class 3 dealer in your state that will do the transfer. The selling dealer will get the suppressor to your dealer. You'll start the Form 4 paperwork and the dealer will store the suppressor. You'll submit the paperwork and $200 to the ATF and then you'll wait.:mad:. When the paperwork is sent back with the Tax-stamp, the dealer will notify you and you get your suppressor. It could be as fast as a month and could take 6 months. My understanding is the Trusts or LLC's go thru quicker since there is less background check/ fingerprints to do.

Another info link - www.guntrustlawyer.com

Here's a good reason to be careful with NFA stuff.
True story -
Guy files for divorce. Mad soon to be ex-wife calls the local PD and tells them her soon to be ex is stockpiling weapons and he's a member of the military and must have military weapons. PD calls ATF and ATF comes a knocking fortunately just on the door and politely but 8 agents in "raid" jackets.

Guy has to open both of his safes (well he didn't have to but they would have gotten a warrant and made him) and they also proceed to go thru all his kit. Every serial number is copied, # of rounds documented and while going thru the kit, there was a flash-bang stuck in his assault gear. That can be one Felony. As they go thru the guns, he has a cobray M11 that a family member gave him. The function check didn't quite seem right. He has to surrender this weapon for testing (and that also means he's not getting it back since he surrendered it) - possible Felony #2.

ATF comes back two months later and says Cobray was fine (not illegally converted) but it would be destroyed. They said no charges would be filed on the flashbang since it came back to the unit he was in and there wasn't any intent to harm people (ie no nails taped to it). But there was a 3 year window that they would keep his infractions on file and if he got in any trouble - they would prosecute to the fullest.

Cooperation probably helped him escape charges (he could have also been charged with misdemeanor improper storage of an explosive) but it nearly ruined his life.

Just food for thought -

Back