Marines wear woodland cammo field jackets....

[“The Field Jacket is primarily worn to simulate the Dress Blue jacket,” said Andre Bastian, a Marine veteran who spent five years at the barracks, also known as 8th & I. “It can only be worn with service B and C (short and long sleeve) and only during official barracks practices.”

Barracks Marines use many tricks and unusual modifications to make their outfits look their best for ceremonies at places like Arlington National Cemetery and high-profile events in the capital. But the field jacket is supposed to be worn as-issued, Bastian said.]

Interesting! I suppose that’s one way to simulate a uniform item so you don’t mess up the real thing. Mara is right though:
A) Woodland pattern looks cool
B ) Mixing it with service uniforms looks dumb

I still have all of my original woodlands. They were some of my favorite patterns. For some reason, I have gotten rid of a lot of my MC "stuff", but never got rid of them or my all-weather coat.

Interesting. Three thoughts:

1) We never should have gone away from that uniform pattern to begin with.
2) You know who else liked BDU field jackets? Bin Laden. That's who. ;)
3) Marines mixing dress and combat uniforms? um... wtf?

View attachment 38088
Oh, you know who else liked the woodland BDU?

That’s right ;)

Attachments

• 3C330731-0F4B-49BD-819F-24C5B26E4F1D.jpeg
    3C330731-0F4B-49BD-819F-24C5B26E4F1D.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 11
That winter service dress green uniform was my favorite. I looked fucking good in that. If girls had been interested in military guys back in the 'Nam days, I'd've been gettin the stank on the hang down.

Holy cow, I remember that field jacket. It was actually pretty warm with worn with the smoking jacket. I threw away that jacket a few years ago when I cleaned out my closet of BDU's and ACU's.
I have a smoking jacket that's a parka liner vs. a field jacket liner, I wear it when I work in the garage.

During my last tour at West Point, I wore my field jacket liner under my ACU top when it was cold. My classroom was very warm one day so I took it off. My cadets saw it and were amazed. "Is that made out of woobie?" They had never seen one before and they all wanted one. I had a random name selector on my phone that I used to pick cadets for class-related tasks. We "spun the wheel" with the random name selector and the cadet whose name it landed on, left class that day with the jacket.

Apparently they fit the similar dimensions of the dress blues blouse, or something, so that's why they train in it. But it's confined to barracks grounds and only for training.

I have some of my uniform stuff, but have long since given most of it away. I kept some woodlands, some MARPAT, the boots, my field jacket, my gore-tex, my navy issue pea coat and foul weather jacket, not everything that issued was junk. But a lot of it was.

@Gunz , one of my favorite Marine uniforms was their camo, the Vietnam-era ERDL jungles. When I was a whee lad I had a set that my dad had brought back from Vietnam, but he gave away a lot of his stuff when he retired and we moved, and they never made it with us.

Apparently they fit the similar dimensions of the dress blues blouse, or something, so that's why they train in it. But it's confined to barracks grounds and only for training.
Ahhh...that makes sense.
I’m actually surprised those photos were released. B

We had a similar jacket as part of our garrison dress, it was phased out in the mid-late 90's. I think I was one of the last generations of troops to get them and they are in a box some where. Probably one of the best uniforms we had, especially with pants bloused above the boots. The 2 types of leather on the boots, made them a bitch to shine.

garrison.jpgboot23.jpg

Ahhh...that makes sense.
I’m actually surprised those photos were released. B

When I first saw the pic I was very much WTF; it looks like a soup sandwich. But the accompanying story makes sense. Then I had to laugh; yet another fine example of the Corps using stuff that's old and not in use anywhere else. Same old story.

For ceremonial purposes Marines will from time to time wear uniforms of those before us. For drill training you will often wear a a piece of uniform that you may not be familiar or comfortable in to be used to it.

For instance, when the CG of 2 MEF retired we drilled on the parade deck for a few days of practice in cammies while wearing our Green Servie Cover and our LBV pistol belt. For the day of the retirement ceremony we wore our Alphas and LBV pistol belt with canteens.

Back