McRaven tapped to be new SOCOM Commander

Signcutter

Verified Military
Good, bad or indifferent?

MIAMI -- Vice Adm. William McRaven has been recommended to take over as commander of U.S. Special Operations Command, headquartered at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa.Defense Secretary Robert Gates recommended that McRaven receive the new assignment and a fourth star during a Pentagon press briefing to President Barack Obama Tuesday. If confirmed by the Senate, McRaven would succeed Navy Adm. Eric Olson, who has headed the command since 2008.
McRaven is currently the commander of the Joint Special Operations Command. He is a former commander of SEAL Team 3 and Special Operations Command Europe.
Gates has also recommended Navy Vice Adm. Joseph Kernan for the post of deputy commander of U.S. Southern Command, replacing Army Lt. Gen. Ken Keen. U.S. Southern Command is located in Miami.

Seems to have a solid background but somewhat limited to 'door kicking.'

Vice Admiral McRaven assumed command of the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) on June 13, 2008. Prior to assuming command, he served from June 2006 to March 2008 as commander, Special Operations Command Europe (SOCEUR). In addition to his duties as COMSOCEUR, he was designated as the first director of the NATO Special Operations Forces Coordination Centre (NSCC), where he was charged with enhancing the capabilities and inter-operability of all NATO Special Operations Forces.

Vice Adm. McRaven has commanded at every level within the special operations community, including assignments as deputy commanding general for operations at JSOC, commodore of Naval Special Warfare Group 1, commander of SEAL Team 3, task group commander in the CENTCOM area of responsibility, task unit commander during Desert Storm and Desert Shield, squadron commander at Naval Special Warfare Development Group, and SEAL platoon commander at Underwater Demolition Team 21/SEAL Team 4.

Vice Adm. McRaven’s diverse staff and interagency experience includes assignments as the director for Strategic Planning in the Office of Combating Terrorism on the National Security Council Staff, assessment director at U.S. Special Operations Command, on the Staff of the Chief of Naval Operations and the chief of staff at Naval Special Warfare Group 1.

Vice Adm. McRaven’s professional education includes assignment to the Naval Postgraduate School, where he helped establish and was the first graduate from the Special Operations/Low Intensity Conflict curriculum.

http://www.navyseals.com/william-h-mcraven

Purple

Saw the email at work today. Should be good. I believe things may change for the better once he replaces ETO

Well, if Olsen had command since 2008 then this is probably a routine matter. Commanders are only seeing 2-3 years in a slot anyway.

I find it interesting that JSOC has gone to two SEALs ina row. Not that they aren't capable, but I know some joint commands rotate between Army, AF, and Navy. I'm not against this, I just find it interesting.

Read on a different board that some in the SOF coummnity are not too hot on the idea of a 'head hunter' commanding SOCOM. They see is as since a door kicker is head, the main focus will be door kicking, insertion platforms etc.

Read on a different board that some in the SOF coummnity are not too hot on the idea of a 'head hunter' commanding SOCOM. They see is as since a door kicker is head, the main focus will be door kicking, insertion platforms etc.

yeah... but SOCOM isn't really a COCOM.

Well, if Olsen had command since 2008 then this is probably a routine matter. Commanders are only seeing 2-3 years in a slot anyway.

I find it interesting that JSOC has gone to two SEALs ina row. Not that they aren't capable, but I know some joint commands rotate between Army, AF, and Navy. I'm not against this, I just find it interesting.

Free, two SEALs in a row? McChrystal (Army), McRaven (Navy), Votel (Army), right?

Next JSOC Cdr is Army.

I don't get it, could you please elaborate on that?

This is a bit of an oversimplification but here goes:

In the US military, you have "geographic" commands (combatant commands who are responsible for different geographic regions of the world) and "functional" commands (those commands who perform a specific function in support of those commands). SOCOM is a functional command. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Combatant_Command

Although SOCOM does have a warfighting mission, but most of the SOCOM units ultimately serve subordinately to a geographic commander when they're OCONUS. SOCOM's main role is train and equip, with some planning and directing, so I would consider them more of a "resourcing" command. This is in contrast to the geographic commands, which are "implementing" (there's a doctrinally-correct word to describe this but I don't remember what it is) commands. SOCOM provides troops, training, and equipment to their subordinate forces, who then accomplish their missions as part of a geographic command.

As I said, a bit of an oversimplification but I think that might answer your question. I'll ask anyone on the board with better info than me on this subject to chime in as well.

Another interesting article on combatant commands: http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,NI_0905_Uni,00.html

It is more so SF than SOF in general who feel this way. ;)

[sarcasm]Are they not the same?[/sarcasm]

The patches are interchangable on my airsoft team, Task Force Delta Spartan Rangers.

But if you were somebody you'd know that.

:D

When typing my first post in the thread I misread the story and put the wrong unit down. I'm too busy counting my Krugerrands to read......

Back