"MEPS War Hero" video

lol, my MEPS swear in back in 03 was simple: Guideons handing out copies of the new testament, a welcome to the military quick speech, followed by a swearing in, then "go get in your groups to go to the airport and get on the planes. good luck". I get wanting to pump some guys up before they go through boot or basic or whatever, but REALLY?!?

Any new emails from that individual claiming his "likeness" was used. Or has he slithered away to give speeches at gaming conventions.

lol! you'd be surprised at how many active/former military do show up to gaming conventions, though never saw one give a moto speech. was at the COD XP event in LA last year and were actually a lot of active/former military there. was kind of hilarious to hear a guy tell the story of how on one of the paintball ranges they had set up his team except (for him) was almost entirely active/former military and the opposing team was all COD gamer's who thought they were the shit since they could play a video game well. needless to say the "gamer" team got completely destroyed in the match :p

Any new emails from that individual claiming his "likeness" was used. Or has he slithered away to give speeches at gaming conventions.

If he's smart, he'll forget about this site and others like it, absorb the very painful lessons, and move on.

If he's smart, he'll forget about this site and others like it, absorb the very painful lessons, and move on.
That would be the smart move

... But he was wearing Spurs... and a Stetson... and a worn uniform... Just like a John Wayne movie marathon... doesn't that make him smart?

One of the other pilots in my troop served with this guy. He said he was pretty surprised the dude turned out to be a turdbucket. Guess he did a cushy rotation as company XO. No small arms related incidents. No friendly kia. No where near torra borra. Rarely left the wire; was in a single IED attack prior to redeployment. Sustained a minor knee injury. Guess he went to MEPS bc he's so cold inside from all the killing.

The USMC Major that was the MEPS Commander when I went through recently was giving us a brief on racism at MEPS. He said, and I quote, "When you're 25,000 feet up the side of a mountain in Afghanistan, you don't care what color Doc's skin is. You just care about whether or not his thumb is big enough to plug the hole in your leg."

Awesome. Didn't know we were waging war on K2 and also that we stop bleeding with thumbs. A master of battle for certain.

The USMC Major that was the MEPS Commander when I went through recently was giving us a brief on racism at MEPS. He said, and I quote, "When you're 25,000 feet up the side of a mountain in Afghanistan, you don't care what color Doc's skin is. You just care about whether or not his thumb is big enough to plug the hole in your leg."

That sounds an awful lot like something I heard in an old war movie, "Hamburger Hill," maybe? I wonder if that is where the major got it from.

Well, now that we know how not to do it, maybe we can have a mini case study to discuss what a better course of action may have been. If I were to do a MEPS in-brief now, I like to think I would say something like this:

/////

Gentlemen, I signed up for the Army in a time of peace, when war was merely a distant possibility. But you are joining knowing that warfare is not a possibility for you, it is an absolute certainty. By enlisting now, you are demonstrating the kinds of unmitigated selflessness and bravery that have made our country great. I am confident that these traits will serve you well on the field of battle, as they did for millions of men and women who served their country in a time of trouble.

I salute you, and welcome you to the Profession of Arms. My congratulations, and I am proud to call you "brother."

Ladies & Gentlemen, I would like to welcome you to the respective branch of our nation’s armed forces. You have joined during a time of war, and for that you have my respect in stepping forward to protect your fellow countrymen in a time of need. Now I have to be honest with all of you, you are now partaking on a path of overwhelming stupidity and retardations. It is not all heroics of combat and not every service member will be on the front line killing the enemy of our nation. Some of you will be stuck in the rear, loading supplies, dishing out chow or cleaning up after someone else. It is all important and it must be done, it’s all part of the machine that keeps going regardless of your individual needs, wants or feelings. You will not understand most of the tasks that will be handed down to you, you will think that it is all bullshit, all of us who have come before you have felt and thought the same way. Just remember that you signed that dotted line, you stood here and allowed me to swear you in, and you have a commitment that you must meet now.

Now go forth in your career, however short it may be, and do the best that you can. Your nation is depending on you, even if it is to burn shit in a far away land. Thank you for joining, thank you for standing up and taking on these tasks, and good luck to each and every one of you.

:-":thumbsup:

Back