MEU SOC Pistol make?

I got nothing technical, but I guess my preference is more due to nostalgia.

I have a friend who is a serious shooter and collector.

He has some high end 1911's, i.e. Les Baer, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, etc...

They were nice but TIGHT.

One thing with the MEUSOC pistols that I used, it rattled. These were late 80's and 90's. These were the first times that I heard of Pachmyr grips, Wilson mags and Barsto barrels. I could shake it and hear the noise.

But it never failed me and it hit where the sights were aimed. I jumped with them, dove with them, heck, I even slept with them.

My friend sold some of his high end 1911's for G19's, XD's and M&P's.

I am trying to convert some Springfield's and Remington's to mimic my old MEUSOC's.

He has some high end 1911's, i.e. Les Baer, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, etc...

They were nice but TIGHT.

One thing with the MEUSOC pistols that I used, it rattled. These were late 80's and 90's. These were the first times that I heard of Pachmyr grips, Wilson mags and Barsto barrels. I could shake it and hear the noise.

I owned a GI model Springfield which was loose, even new. The handful, 5-6, of competition 1911's I've shot were all very tight. The former rattled and the latter obviously did not. The only malfunctions I witnessed on the comp guns were due to reduced power ammo or recoil springs.

I only bring this up because some of the folks reading this may not understand the large differences between a competition gun and a model built to JMB's original specs.

And yes an elephant in the room, is the G22 with a weapon mounted light!
( all Gen's and intermediates )
They still have cycling issues with the less snappy ammunition(s) 180 gr Ranger "T" and 180 gr. Federal HST. Most seem alright with the 165 gr. Ranger, HST and Speer Gold Dot.
Very respectfully
j

What makes it an elephant in the room?

Every gun has cycling issues with less snappy ammo, that's a scientific fact of any semi-automatic weapon and the fault of the operator.

Ironic that the 17 doesn't have a problem cycling with 9mm ammo.

The issue was believed to be related to weapon lights affecting the way the polymer frame flexed, especially if overly tightened. Take the light off and the weapon worked. That being said, at least one agency made a video documenting that the 22 worked fine with a light, as long as the shooter didn't limp wrist it (a common problem with all types of Glocks).

ETA: The problem was only reported on the .40s.

Last edited:
I've never had an issue with my 22 cycling, it always has an X300V on it.

That being said, you can't tighten X300 series lights. They snap into place and have a slight amount of play in them which may alleviate the problem.

So, has anyone disproved that the GLOCK is more reliable then the 1911 or The 1911 is more accurate then the GLOCK?

I tried to explain this to you the last time. Glock can be just as accurate as a 1911 designed pistol. Go get a Barstow match barrel for any Glock that needs hand fitting, it will be stupid accurate, but wont feed for shit unless properly fit and broken in. On the other end of your statement, go get a Lama 1911, and tell me if they accurate. Again, its a moot point as most shooters cannot shoot to the accuracy level of the gun.

I think these kind of statements X is better than Y or that Z has this over X and Y don't bring anything useful to discussing firearms. Not that everyone doesn't have a preference or opinion, I generally however, find those opinions to completely biased at best or lacking professional knowledge at worst. 1911's are known for their accuracy and Glock is known for their reliability. However, again that doesn't make the statement all inclusive and can be proven wrong in the right persons hands with the right modification.

The availability of 1911 "upgrade" parts and the nature of every company cloning a 100+ year old design and making changes, leads to the 1911s are unreliable stigma.

They don't require gypsy tears to be reliable, but they do require all the parts to be individually fitted with the modern incarnation's clearances.

That being said, you can't tighten X300 series lights. They snap into place and have a slight amount of play in them which may alleviate the problem.

I have a G22 that's had a M3 streamlight on it for 13 years, using 180 & 165 grain ammo and has never failed to cycle, once, ever. Can't tell how many rounds I have through it, but its been my LE instructor pistol the whole time. So I would imagine upwards 50k rds. I replace the recoil spring every 3-4 classes, respring the whole gun every year and use good mags.

I've seen a few break, manufacturing defects in the polymer around the roll pins, or kaboom with reloaded ammo.

I have a G22 that's had a M3 streamlight on it for 13 years, using 180 & 165 grain ammo and has never failed to cycle, once, ever. Can't tell how many rounds I have through it, but its been my LE instructor pistol the whole time. So I would imagine upwards 50k rds. I replace the recoil spring every 3-4 classes, respring the whole gun every year and use good mags.

I've seen a few break, manufacturing defects in the polymer around the roll pins, or kaboom with reloaded ammo.

Many people had no problem with the 22 w/light, which is why I'm in the operator headspace and timing group. But some people did, and it was a hot topic for a bit. For what it's worth, headspace and timing includes tightening the screw on the TLR-1 until you strip the screw....

It only happened with the 22 and I think the 23.

I have a X300U-B which uses the screw. My understanding was Surefire has to pay to use that clip/snap connection, so they are trying to phase in the screw option. The screw version will change the recoil of my 17 if I over tighten it. I use the red loctite on the screw so i don’t have to over tighten it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
The availability of 1911 "upgrade" parts and the nature of every company cloning a 100+ year old design and making changes, leads to the 1911s are unreliable stigma.

They don't require gypsy tears to be reliable, but they do require all the parts to be individually fitted with the modern incarnation's clearances.

A wise old sage who has forgotten more about the 1911 than I will ever know said "it's just a machine. If it's in spec, it'll run. It doesn't have a choice."

I like a pistol that works well enough for me to get to cover so I can get my rifle working again.

Ideally it would be a 45 caliber, all steel, striker fired, match grade, high capacity, lightweight pistol with fully adjustable sites and the ability to mount an RMR that is capable of holding 2 inch groups at 50 meters using GI grade ammunition while still being able to feed the decreased power target loads that I like to shoot at the range and JHP rounds when I need it for personal protection.

...and if I cant find one that meets those strict requirements, an M9 will work just as well

So, has anyone disproved that the GLOCK is more reliable then the 1911 or The 1911 is more accurate then the GLOCK?

Depends on who's shooting and maintaining them.

I like a 1911 only because I achieved Zen with it when I was a bush rat and have owned them and fired thousands upon thousands of rounds through them.

Last edited:
Back