MEU SOC Pistol make?

That's why the mission should drive the gear train. Sometimes a 1911 is the perfect tool to smack something with, and sometimes something else is. Being locked into one tool for all missions isn't helpful.
All the top military units agree on Glocks. Ain't nobody got time for sticky safeties after walking in the rain or going for a swim; or rocks and mud stuck in front of their hammer. You could get dropped off 10 ft front of the door, be standing next to a wall when the breach goes off and BAM!!! Dust and dirt float down in front of that exposed hammer. It's not worth the risk when that problem has already been solved.

1911s were the cat's meow in 1911, but that ship has sailed.

All the top military units agree on Glocks. Ain't nobody got time for sticky safeties after walking in the rain or going for a swim; or rocks and mud stuck in front of their hammer. You could get dropped off 10 ft front of the door, be standing next to a wall when the breach goes off and BAM!!! Dust and dirt float down in front of that exposed hammer. It's not worth the risk when that problem has already been solved.

1911s were the cat's meow in 1911, but that ship has sailed.

Doesn't MARSOC issue a 1911?

CAG left the 1911 for the Glock (and was responsible for some design changes) primarily for ease of maintenance. There were other reasons but maintenance was the big one.

On the other hand, the FBI, LAPD and a number of other cop shops continue to use the 1911 quite successfully.

All that said, I only disagree with you on one point. I don't think the 1911's days are done. I just think it circles back to the mission:gear train issue. If I was running missions in Afghanistan or certain other places I would probably choose something other than a 1911 as well. In a different AO with a different mission set (inclusive of explosive breaches) a 1911 would be my preference especially for something like HR. But that's just me.

He says, as he prepares to be issued a brand new Glock 17....:wall:

I think that's kind of misinformation. 1911's can be extremely reliable and Glock's can be extremely accurate. I would say with any platform, the more accuracy you milk out of it with tighter tolerance, the less reliable the firearm will function. There is a balancing act, especially on the hand fitting side of the house.

With the more modern manufacturing computer and laser guided CNC, milling, etc. It pretty easy to get a super accurate and reliable firearm right out of the box. Than again, your average shooter can't even shoot to the accuracy of the firearm, so it becomes a bit of a moot point.

Yes sir! I hate using trendy terms, but you are dead on. The tool is part of the system. The Operator of the tool is additionally part of the system. Not that tools and operators don't come together in perfect harmony, but a novice shooter most likely could not extract all of the mechanical accuracy from either a Wilson Super Grade or a High Point. Just as you wouldn't normally drift a set of sights with a framing hammer, the tools should be picked for the job. Perhaps there are places for all. This is going to sound way wrong no matter how I put it. In a combat pistol, I like them a little sloppy and very wet. I run plenty of lube on frame rails and bearing surfaces and don't want a such a tight barrel lock up, that a little bit of crud could cause a failure to work as advertised. I have seen some 1911's that cost as much as a good used car, positively choke. I have also seen others like my mid range priced Colt's just chug along with intrepid reliability ( so far ) I am sure that the folks in Smyrna have had issues, but I have had zero problems ever with a Glock product. My son now owns my Austrian proofed circa 1989 Glock 17, that has never had one failure of any kind. It is on its second set of night sights, but that falls under PM's.

I like my 1911s. Now, I never had to carry one in the service, but mine have been pretty reliable. I also have no issue with Glocks. Have them, too. For CCW for years I carried a 1911; now, a Glock. Mainly because of easy of maintenance, simplicity of manual of arms, and it is idiot-proof. But I don't think it's safe to assume the 1911 doesn't have a place. Between the 1911 and the Browning Hi Power that type of gun has done about as much damage as any other, more than some.

I like my 1911s. Now, I never had to carry one in the service, but mine have been pretty reliable. I also have no issue with Glocks. Have them, too. For CCW for years I carried a 1911; now, a Glock. Mainly because of easy of maintenance, simplicity of manual of arms, and it is idiot-proof. But I don't think it's safe to assume the 1911 doesn't have a place. Between the 1911 and the Browning Hi Power that type of gun has done about as much damage as any other, more than some.
I own one Colt's Stainless Government XSE. It has thus far proved 100% reliable, and will make one hole groups if I do my part. When it reaches a thousand round of my duty ammunition ( Federal HST ) I'll rotate it in to the "carry" group.
I really like it and since I have really small hands for a guy, it feels nearly perfect.
Respectfully
j

Of the Glock pistols I have seen with my own eyes ( not speculating on others armories ) I have observed Gen 3 Black Glock 19's with factory Glock night sights, Gen 3 FDE Glock 22's with both contrast and factory night sights. The G-19 magazines were black and the G-22's were FDE. There was also a mix of standard capacity magazines and those with factory +2 floor plates installed. I did not ask to handle any of the pistols, but don't remember any RTF or RTF 2.

Of the Glock pistols I have seen with my own eyes ( not speculating on others armories ) I have observed Gen 3 Black Glock 19's with factory Glock night sights, Gen 3 FDE Glock 22's with both contrast and factory night sights. The G-19 magazines were black and the G-22's were FDE. There was also a mix of standard capacity magazines and those with factory +2 floor plates installed. I did not ask to handle any of the pistols, but don't remember any RTF or RTF 2.

Whose pistols were these?

It's a stupid argument all around, I'm going to divorce my wife, and the only thing available to read is 1911 tech vs 1985 tech.

Like what you like, own what you like, and those that don't have a choice, become proficient, or be made fun of....

Whose pistols were these?
It was a small mobil "connex" type armory of some commercial type visiting the Los Alamitos Army Air Base in Southern California.
A group of United States Army Special Forces guys were there for a demonstration and cross training with the Los Angeles Police Department SWAT and SIS.
I didn't dare ask who they were or their specific MOS. I'll tell you that the fella's were all very, very kind
and answered questions that they could. Were they not in multi-cam, and perhaps Levis and t-shirts, they could have passed for an OMG. ( be it a VERY fit and health conscious bike club )
When I expressed an interest in their kit, they asked what I did and I told them. One of the fellows handling small arms said " go ahead have a look, but please no touching "
The pistols were on a peg type board and magazines in .50 ammo cans.

I was recently told by Shadow Spear staff, that I should answer questions forthwith, so this is what I am doing. I was also asked by the same staff, to depart forthwith as I was not a proper fit in your community.
So sir, I wish you well and adieu.
Very respectfully
j

MOD Edit: you were never asked to leave this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a small mobil "connex" type armory of some commercial type visiting the Los Alamitos Army Air Base in Southern California.
A group of United States Army Special Forces guys were there for a demonstration and cross training with the Los Angeles Police Department SWAT and SIS.
I didn't dare ask who they were or their specific MOS. I'll tell you that the fella's were all very, very kind
and answered questions that they could. Were they not in multi-cam, and perhaps Levis and t-shirts, they could have passed for an OMG. ( be it a VERY fit and health conscious bike club )
When I expressed an interest in their kit, they asked what I did and I told them. One of the fellows handling small arms said " go ahead have a look, but please no touching "
The pistols were on a peg type board and magazines in .50 ammo cans.

I was recently told by Shadow Spear staff, that I should answer questions forthwith, so this is what I am doing. I was also asked by the same staff, to depart forthwith as I was not a proper fit in your community.
So sir, I wish you well and adieu.
Very respectfully
j

You were never told, or asked to depart this site. We did note the differences between the Prison Guard world and the SOF world. Your vetting application requesting "Verified SWAT" status was rejected for lack of supporting documentation. You were, and are invited to take part in forum discussions as an "Unverified" civilian site member. What you chose to do with that status is up to you, but you were never asked to leave this site. Your welcome to this site still stands.

I carried the MEUSOC pistol as my secondary for years during my time in.

No issue.

My current CCW alternates between G19, 1911, XD. No issue.

I love these silly arguments.

Oh golly no argument from me! Right tool for the right job is always my best case scenario .
In the civilian LE world Officers should be allowed to carry a fighting caliber, effective ammunition and kit that allows them confidence and safety! But as we see all too often, a Chief, Sheriff, Marshall ect. decides for what ever motivation, that one size must fit all. Yes, given time and patience an odd fit choice can be trained up to. But, sadly small departments and CCW holders all to often lack the funding, to do that extensive of a training work up. A large Southern California Department has a 40 Hr. Glock to 1911 course prior to armorer/range staff approval.
In the course of my work, I train folks on a variety of handguns. I must say being currently stationed in Southern California, we are Glock central. But Glocks, Sig Sauer's and 1911's predominate.
As of late we've observed a smattering of Smith M&P's coming on line as well.
I have a some personal favorites, but I would never fouist my opinion on anyone else.
If the ( pistol ) is of high quality, the ammunition proven effective and the carrier of said platform feels safe doing so, by all means carry in confidence. I will gently proffer an opinion if a see an Officer report to the line, who has a brand new Glock twenty.... Wears a size seven US Gov't glove and weighs a hundred pounds in gear. But for the most part, unless a student/RQ person has a horrible attitude, I can work with them.
Very respectfully
j

Leave the barrel alone (outside of the g22) and you cannot beat a glock on reliability...period.

Personal opinion only.... I do not care for the .40 Smith and Wesson caliber at all!
I own two training Glock 22's and they languish unless I require them for a class.
( I attempt to carry what the students/RQ folks are carrying to be sure to walk the walk )
And yes an elephant in the room, is the G22 with a weapon mounted light!
( all Gen's and intermediates )
They still have cycling issues with the less snappy ammunition(s) 180 gr Ranger "T" and 180 gr. Federal HST. Most seem alright with the 165 gr. Ranger, HST and Speer Gold Dot.
Very respectfully
j

Bottom line, I don't give two fucks if you are a special ninja turtle or a lame dick booger eater. RF1 is one of the best people on here. For him to post what he did, speaks volumes and is everything I will ever need to know.

Stupid.

On those excellent notes, does anyone have anything technical to add to a 5 year old thread?

On those excellent notes, does anyone have anything technical to add to a 5 year old thread?

I don't believe I saw it mentioned in this thread, but Colt was awarded a contract to manufacturer an updated 1911 for MARSOC a few years back. It appears the Marines that would be issued them are being given a choice between the M45 and Glock though. More details here.

Similar to the Army's MHS and M4A1+ debacles, makes you wonder why individual service/unit leaders can't just make their own purchasing decisions and save the tax payer the expense all the eval/bid related crap that takes place for a contract to be awarded just to have it thrown out the window any way.

Back