Military Ancestors...

Gunpowder

Gunpowder
Verified SOF
Thought this would interesting...any pics of ancestors in uniform? This is my Great-Grandfather, First Sergeant Charles McCarthy. He served with newly formed Maryland Army National Guard and served under General John Pershing during the Pancho Villa Expedition in Mexico though I can't verify which actions if any he may have participated in. He was federalized in 1917 for deployment with the 29th Infantry Division where he participated in Meuse-Argonne Offensive that began in October 1918. In its 21 days of combat, the division suffered more than 30% killed or wounded. I was told by my Great Aunt that that he passed away a few years thereafter from injuries he received in the trenches...possibly chemical related injuries.

scanned photos002.jpg

None but I wish I did. They're all with older relatives, if the cunts haven't thrown them out.

Here’s a photo of my great grandfather, but unfortunately I never met the guy or don’t know anything about what he did, but it was clearly taken following WW1.

CA813315-AEBE-4493-A38B-8796526A50CD.jpeg

Ironically, I also had an ancestor who served in the Queen’s Rangers that I traced back through ancestory.

My Great Great Grandpa was a rifleman in the 27th Connecticut Infantry. He fought at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, two resounding Confederate victories.

Luckily for us he kept a diary. His was one of the regiments pinned down all day in the slaughter under the Confederate guns on Mayre's Heights and they weren't able to move until darkness fell.

Later they went to Chancellorsville and were on the receiving end of Jackson's famous left hook surprise attack through the woods. He was captured along with many others, and marched to Richmond, where the city's women lined the streets and jeered at them. He ended up in Libby Prison.

But...best Civil War haircut, ever...nice cop 'stash.

Scan 5.jpeg

Last edited:
02BABAE8-ED26-47C7-BAA2-7BBA0F5D194F.jpeg
Grandad (3rd from left) and his 5 brothers, who all served, the first 4 from left all WW2 for sure and the last two on the right were drafted but I don’t know if they actually saw combat during the war. I believe the two on the right (Donnie and Ralph, the two youngest and only two surviving) were in Korea, but again not sure. I know Charles, the oldest one and first on left, fought through the Pacific. Uncle Jack, second from left, was a tanker under Patton and fought from Italy to Germany. Jim, my grandpa, was one of the only guys qualified to fix code machines and was sent all over the Pacific, hiding out on carriers, battleships and even a sub once to fix the machines, while his “cover” or day job was as a fireman and then as a Gunners Mate (he said ONI just gave him rank and by the wars ends they had changed his rating 3 times and he never knew). I can’t remeber the 4th uncles name and never met him but I Know he was CG in the N Atlantic during the war.

Grandfather, dad's side. I don't have a pic of my grandfather, mom's side who was in WWI.

Scan0169.jpg

My father, last (of 3) tour in Vietnam, intel chief of HMLA-167 (previous tours were 1/12, then admin assigned to 3 MARDIV intel but seconded to MAC-V/SOG intel).

Scan0073.jpg

Uncle, WWII; he was AAC, but then went to combat engineers with 101st ABN

Scan0016.jpg

One more....left, my uncle, 30 years Navy (all SeaBee, retired as EOSC), on the right my cousin (his daughter), 20 years active duty AF, a few more AF Reserve, something computers and intel.

Every Memorial Day and Veterans Day I post on Facebook all the names of my family who have (knowingly) served, I think I have record of 18 family members going back to civil war.

Hubert.jpg

Here’s a photo of my great grandfather, but unfortunately I never met the guy or don’t know anything about what he did, but it was clearly taken following WW1.

View attachment 23923

Ironically, I also had an ancestor who served in the Queen’s Rangers that I traced back through ancestory.
During the Occupation...awesome that it's dated!

My Great Great Grandpa was a rifleman in the 27th Connecticut Infantry. He fought at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, two resounding Confederate victories.

Luckily for us he kept a diary. His was one of the regiments pinned down all day in the slaughter under the Confederate guns on Mayre's Heights and they weren't able to move until darkness fell.

Later they went to Chancellorsville and were on the receiving end of Jackson's famous left hook surprise attack through the woods. He was captured along with many others, and marched to Richmond, where the city's women lined the streets and jeered at them. He ended up in Libby Prison.

View attachment 23925
I believe it was during the battle of Mayres Heights that the music for 'Taps' was removed from a son's pocket by his father. True, it was a resounding Confederate victory. Needless to say...Jackson lost his arm at Chancellorsville and Libby Prison was one of the worst.

One more....left, my uncle, 30 years Navy (all SeaBee, retired as EOSC), on the right my cousin (his daughter), 20 years active duty AF, a few more AF Reserve, something computers and intel.

Every Memorial Day and Veterans Day I post on Facebook all the names of my family who have (knowingly) served, I think I have record of 18 family members going back to civil war.

View attachment 23933
Hmm...that's not a bad idea...can I include my German Wehrmacht kin...

View attachment 23929
Grandad (3rd from left) and his 5 brothers, who all served, the first 4 from left all WW2 for sure and the last two on the right were drafted but I don’t know if they actually saw combat during the war. I believe the two on the right (Donnie and Ralph, the two youngest and only two surviving) were in Korea, but again not sure. I know Charles, the oldest one and first on left, fought through the Pacific. Uncle Jack, second from left, was a tanker under Patton and fought from Italy to Germany. Jim, my grandpa, was one of the only guys qualified to fix code machines and was sent all over the Pacific, hiding out on carriers, battleships and even a sub once to fix the machines, while his “cover” or day job was as a fireman and then as a Gunners Mate (he said ONI just gave him rank and by the wars ends they had changed his rating 3 times and he never knew). I can’t remeber the 4th uncles name and never met him but I Know he was CG in the N Atlantic during the war.

Looks like you were destined...

I've got my Grandfather's Shellback certificate in storage from when he crossed the equator during WW2 on his way to Africa.

As far as family who have served, as far as I know, my one Grandfather was in the Navy during WW2, my Dad and Uncle are both Vietnam vets having served in the 3rd ID and 82nd respectively, and my cousin is currently stationed in Germany in the Army. Outside of that, I have no idea if anyone else served. No pictures to share right now but I'll try and circle back later.

View attachment 23925
I know the feeling about captured ancestors...I've had three Confederate ancestors who were captured...my GG grandfather Ira Roe (36th Georgia) (Cherokee, GA) was captured at Vicksburg, paroled on the 9th of July then joined another outfit...had a gg uncle, Julius Loth, lost a leg at the 'railroad cut' at Gettysburg (day 1) and removed to Rochester NY for duration of the war....and his younger brother, William Loth was captured by Sheridan at the Chickahominy River outside of Richmond, VA. He was sent to Elmira, NY where he refused to take the Oath of Allegiance ...was released in May of 1866.

Not a blood ancestor, but I have great Uncle that flew F4 Phantoms over Vietnam in a Special Reconnaissance wing and was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star w/ V, and something else. He then went and did some cool stuff as a test pilot retiring as a full bird. He passed away before I was old enough to know anything other than his office had a lot of cool planes in it. Years later when I found out he was such a badass, I was pretty disappointed that I didn't get to speak with him about his time.

Not a blood ancestor, but I have great Uncle that flew F4 Phantoms over Vietnam in a Special Reconnaissance wing and was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star w/ V, and something else. He then went and did some cool stuff as a test pilot retiring as a full bird. He passed away before I was old enough to know anything other than his office had a lot of cool planes in it. Years later when I found out he was such a badass, I was pretty disappointed that I didn't get to speak with him about his time.
Any pictures in uniform?

I think the only one I have a picture of (somewhere) is my maternal grandfather, a Seabee during WWII. Alaska, Saipan, some other garden spots.

Of those I know...both grandfathers were Seabees in WWII, my great aunt was a MASH nurse in Korea, dad in the ANG, about 10-12 ancestors in various FL and GA units during the War of Northern Aggression ( I know of three FL units: 1st FL Cav., 3rd FL Inf., and 10th FL Inf. They had everything in the Army of Tennessee from about '63 to the end of the war. The GA units were with Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia. One was wounded (minie ball through the lung according to his pension records. How did that tough old dude survive? Unreal) in '64 somewhere while opposing Sherman. We have another who was GA militia during Jackson's Creek War and at least one who fought on the winning side of the Revolutionary War. The is some strong evidence supporting a familial connection to Lewis Powell/ Payne, the man who tried to kill Sec. Seward during the Lincoln assassination, but we're not 100% thanks to one or two gaps in birth/ death certificates. All signs say that he is a relation, but nothing's concrete. A great, great uncle was a naval aviator between the world wars, but I know next to nothing about him.

I'll see if I can find a photo of my grandfather.

Grandpa Joe served in WWII. He was drafted late in the war because he was already married with several children.
Josiah-web.jpg

Back