MOH Recipient Passes Away

HAMMER11

MACV-SOG LRRP Ranger (Vietnam)
Verified SOF
SGM Jon R. Cavaiani (US Army – Retired) (MOH) died today, July 29, 2014 in Stanford, CA after a prolonged illness. By his side was his wife, Barbara.
Born in England, Cavaiani came to the United States with his parents in 1947 at age four. Though initially classified 4F, due in part to a severe allergy to bee stings, Cavaiani eventually joined the Army from Fresno, California, shortly before becoming a naturalized citizen in 1968.
He went to Vietnam in 1970 with the US Army Special Forces (the Green Berets) and by June 4, 1971, he was serving as a Staff Sergeant in Task Force 1 Advisory Element, USARV Training Advisory Group. This “advisory group” was formerly an element of the top secret and clandestine unit, MACV-SOG. On that day, near Khe Sanh, his outpost came under intense enemy attack. Cavaiani organized the unit's defense and, when evacuation by helicopter became necessary, he voluntarily stayed on the ground and directed the aircraft, which successfully evacuated most of the platoon. Cavaiani and a small group were left behind. During a major enemy attack the next morning, he ordered the remaining men to escape while he stayed and provided suppressive fire to cover their retreat. He was captured and spent the next two years as a prisoner of war.
Jon R. Cavaiani was released by the Provisional Government of Vietnam on April 27, 1973.
President Gerald Ford presented Cavaiani with the Medal of Honor during a ceremony on December 12, 1974. Cavaiani later reached the rank of Sergeant Major before retiring from the Army in 1996.
According to John “Tilt” Meyer, president of the Special Operations Association and former member of MACV SOG’s RT Idaho, “Jon remained very active in the Medal of Honor Society and the Special Operations Association and continued throughout his life to serve his nation and his community.” Meyers continued, “Jon was an integral part of both the Medal of Honor Society and the Special Operations Association. His friends, family and brothers in arms will miss his broad smile and quick wit, but mostly we will miss his ever present willingness to help others.”
The City of Philadelphia is planning a memorial and arrangements and further information will be posted as they become available.

RIP My Brother

RIP

Prayers out to your family and all your SF brothers who will mourn your loss.

The Troll is going to be crushed when he reads this.

LL

Last edited:
Rest in Peace Sergeant Major. x_sf_med spoke highly of you and Drew Dix. Prayers out.

Rest In Peace, Warrior and thank you for your service.

My sincerest condolences to his family and those of you who knew him personally.

SGM Cavaiani, I will miss your mentorship, friendship and inspiration. You WILL feast mightily in Valhalla, and Col Howard will lead the celebration. Drive on SGM, I'm sad at your passing, but glad the pain is gone. My Brother, I will see you in the future, and let you sing Lee Greenwood, Willie and Waylon songs until you have no more voice - while buying you double Jack and cokes, 2 ice cubes, until you sound on-key.

De Oppresso Liber

The Vietnam era vets hold a special place in my heart. My condolences to all on the forum who knew this man.

Jon Cavaiani   B-53 1970.jpg Jon Cavaiani   B-53 1970.jpg Jon Cavaiani   B-53 1970.jpg Jon Cavaiani   B-53 1970.jpg

Only photo known to exist of Jon in Nam. NVA acquired all he had when Hickory was overran.
Photo taken by James Shorten, 1970 @ B-53.

On Tuesday July 29, 2014, Jon was released by Stanford University Medical Department.

He was accompanied from his hospital room by his nurses who cared for him over the last year.
With the nurses was an Honor Guard of prior service Stanford security officials.
They also included four of their young Cadets in the procession.

Representatives of The Medal of Honor Society and Special Forces Association were also present.

Downstairs, Jon was met by the Northern California Patriot Guard Riders who accompanied Jon to the mortuary in San Jose.

There was a short visitation at 1 PM Wednesday July 30,

At 2000 hrs, Jon was joined by a very professional U.S. Army Honor Guard, 30 San Jose Police vehicles and the Northern California Patriot Guard. The procession arrived at the San Jose Airport at 2100.

On Thursday at 0500, an American Airlines plane was positioned to receive Jon.
The San Jose Police, Medal of Honor Society and Special Forces Association representatives were once again present with American Airlines employees, airport officials and the San Jose Airport Fire Department.

Here Jon was joined by two lifelong friends CSM Mark Christianson USASF and David Behring who joined Jon on his flight to Philadelphia where he will be honored by the City of Philadelphia and the Marine Corps Law enforcement Foundation (MCLEF). They will be joined by just about every veteran and young men and women Jon has mentored.

There photos are at https://www.flickr.com/photos/lglyspkng/sets/72157646086772144/ Please feel free to download, print or save any you would like.
Memorials for Jon in California will be forwarded to you when the information is complete and verified.

Services will be scheduled for Jon at Arlington National Cemetery at a date yet to be announced.

You will receive this information as soon as it is available and confirmed.

Back