Most used knots

reed11b

Paratrooper
Verified Military
It has been brought to my attention that my knot tying skills are virtually nonexistent. To remedy this I have decided to master a few useful knots. What are some knots that members find most used/useful, and what are there applications?
Reed

- Water knot is a great one to know since it's one of the only ones that will work with tubular nylon- and tubular nylon is good stuff.

- Round turn with two half hitches. It takes a lot of the stress off of the knot and relies more on friction.

- Munter hitch, good for descending slow when you are weighed down by gear.

- Figure eight retrace, good for tying off to carabiners.

Bowline (quick, object, on a bight, French), Square Knot (reef knot), Prusik comes in handy, a properly tied round turn with 2 half hitches, Barrel hitch, post hitch, timber hitch, surgeon's knot... Those are the key ones... for now.

Next week... everybody's favorite... the butterfly knot... :hmm::mad: (you will understand this later... it is evil... evil as boon)

Bowline (quick, object, on a bight, French), Square Knot (reef knot), Prusik comes in handy, a properly tied round turn with 2 half hitches, Barrel hitch, post hitch, timber hitch, surgeon's knot... Those are the key ones... for now.

Next week... everybody's favorite... the butterfly knot... :hmm::mad: (you will understand this later... it is evil... evil as boon)

What's your problem with the butterfly?

Alpine Butterfly Loop won't twist as much as a bowline on a bight and is very similar to the Alpine Butterfly bend which means efficiency of like styles.

ETA: Thanks for posting that link to animated knots... that's going to come in handy in the next couple of years teaching my boy marlinspike seamanship.

Alpine Butterfly Loop won't twist as much as a bowline on a bight and is very similar to the Alpine Butterfly bend which means efficiency of like styles.

ETA: Thanks for posting that link to animated knots... that's going to come in handy in the next couple of years teaching my boy marlinspike seamanship.
Great link, 0699.

This thread should be stickied, IMO.

I use it all the time. Nice reference for new climbers; instead of spending 6 hours teaching them knots, I give them an 8' rope and a carabiner and put them in front of the computer for 6 hours ("Learn all the knots on the S&R page and the climbing page, then come see me when youre done").

I'm enough of a geek that I keep an 8' rope and a biner behind the front seat of my work truck, so when I'm stuck in traffic or waiting in the parking lot for someone, I throw knots to pass the time. O_o

If you cant tie knots, tie lots.

What about splicing?

Everytime I hear this statement, I get scared. If you say that on my tower, guaranteed I am double checking everything you do. :hmm:

Back