My Blood Vow

Your experiences are always welcome. You fought then with what you had, at the behest of our nation. Were you a Marine today, you might hold the same position that I do on that single specific topic. However, your position is based on your experience, which still has huge validity. Hell, lots of our SOP's in Regiment, equipment layouts, etc were based off of studies and SOP's on various things from Vietnam forward. As much as things change, War never changes.

Quite right.

My appreciation for efforts in the Vietnam War could rest on the development of security operations, advances in cooperation between ground and air units, and the evolution of airmobile operations alone.

The Evolution of US Army Tactical Doctrine, 1946-1976

All of my family that participated in WWII and Korea have passed on. My father, who retired from the Marines in 1975, did three tours in VN. He passed away in 1977. My uncle, my mother's only sibling still living, spent almost 30 years in the Navy; a couple tours in VN (He was a SeaBee).

Ya know, you're not a young pup, and it's through your tales, and the tales of your colleagues vis-a-vis books, the stories, lessons, tales, of VN get passed on. Your generation won't be around much longer and the first person narrative will be gone.

Please. Do. Not. Stop.

Ya know, you're not a young pup, and it's through your tales, and the tales of your colleagues vis-a-vis books, the stories, lessons, tales, of VN get passed on. Your generation won't be around much longer and the first person narrative will be gone.

Now wait a minute..I ain't ready to buy the farm just yet, I'm 64, in damn good shape and plan on sticking around for another 20-25 years
Hog Hunting 2015
696f6cfa-70a4-4384-ad82-ac2000e05262_zps99c7d3aa.jpg

Last edited:
Being a SOF forum, and nobody stating the significant impact of the pioneers of special operations in MACV-SOG, reconnaissance and deeeeeep behind the lines ops. Hell MFF alone, SPIE/FRIE, etc...

@Ocoka One, someone had to blaze the trail before this current batch of barrel-chested freedom fighters came to do bad things to bad people. For all the doctrine that the four branches have in print, there is nothing that can compare to the spoken word from a grunt that lived it. There's a great deal of nuance that gets lost in the presses at the Five Sided Puzzle Palace, nuances that sometimes change the lessons to be learned almost entirely, if not in part.

You keep telling your stories. You earned it. You'll continue to cope successfully, and we'll learn from it as we go forward.

Thank you.

Being a SOF forum, and nobody stating the significant impact of the pioneers of special operations in MACV-SOG, reconnaissance and deeeeeep behind the lines ops. Hell MFF alone, SPIE/FRIE, etc...

MACV-SOG were some serious hardcore dudes. Some of them spent 5, 6 years over there. The great Billy Waugh was one. Some of those guys had insane decorations, like 8 Purple Hearts, 3 Silver Stars...

My favorite guys, then and now, I think--aside from Marines--were the Special Forces. (RIP Tripwire :bow:). They of all the motherfuckers over there had a pretty good handle on how to fight the enemy. They were effective. Their problem was that Big Army (Westmoreland et al) considered COIN/FID kind of a sideshow. The program I was in, Combined Action, mimicked the SF A-Teams and was pretty successful in its own right, but, again, it wasn't supported by Westy--he was forever lost in the big battlefields of ETO, I think, kept wanting the conventional battle with the VC/NVA. If Westy had thrown bigtime resources into the Special Forces activities and Combined Action-type operations, the whole thing might have gone down a bit differently.

Last edited:
You are an old MF'er. Embrace it!

As for hardcore, pioneers, & SOF, many folks forget that the tip of the spear is only as good as the bindings, the shaft and the hand that wields it.

Bean, bullets and bandages, etc...

I still say the toughest job in the military is the ground-pounder dealing with repetitive, mind-numbing thankless chores mixed in with short bursts of intense, terrifying chaos.

It's not glamorous. And it sure isn't safe sex.

Someone will pay.

MACV-SOG were some serious hardcore dudes. Some of them spent 5, 6 years over there. The great Billy Waugh was one. Some of those guys had insane decorations, like 8 Purple Hearts, 3 Silver Stars...

My favorite guys, then and now, I think--aside from Marines--were the Special Forces. (RIP Tripwire :bow:). They of all the motherfuckers over there had a pretty good handle on how to fight the enemy. They were effective.

My mentor growing up, my neighbor and the local high school history teacher, was retired Army, almost all of his time in SF with multiple tours in VN. He had some great stories (as all BTDTs in the military do), with most stories having some "lesson learned".

My favorite guys, then and now, I think--aside from Marines--were the Special Forces. (RIP Tripwire :bow:). They of all the motherfuckers over there had a pretty good handle on how to fight the enemy. They were effective. Their problem was that Big Army (Westmoreland et al) considered COIN/FID kind of a sideshow. The program I was in, Combined Action, mimicked the SF A-Teams and was pretty successful in its own right, but, again, it wasn't supported by Westy--he was forever lost in the big battlefields of ETO, I think, kept wanting the conventional battle with the VC/NVA. If Westy had thrown bigtime resources into the Special Forces activities and Combined Action-type operations, the whole thing might have gone down a bit differently.

I have to admit, I've been more of a American Indian wars and civil war researcher, with a lot of WW2 (Pacific) studying, but I have recently taken a heavy interest in Vietnam (specifically MACV-SOG) and the 5th SFG RECONDO school, the RT's and RT TL course. I've got a stack of books I'll be reading over the next 6 months...I've barely scratched the surface of understanding what transpired in that world, but to say the least I'm mind blown thus far...

I have to admit, I've been more of a American Indian wars and civil war researcher, with a lot of WW2 (Pacific) studying, but I have recently taken a heavy interest in Vietnam (specifically MACV-SOG) and the 5th SFG RECONDO school, the RT's and RT TL course. I've got a stack of books I'll be reading over the next 6 months...I've barely scratched the surface of understanding what transpired in that world, but to say the least I'm mind blown thus far...

John Plaster's stuff is amazing. I am reading now Legend: The Incredible Story of Green beret Sergeant Roy Benavidez's Heroic Mission to rescue a Special Forces Team Caught Behind Enemy Lines by Eric Blehm. Much of the MACV-SOG information hasn't been able to be declassified until after 2000 so to use your phrase "scratching the surface" fits.

Further more any reference that goes back to TTP's from WWII, Korea, Nam, DS, Grenada, Panama, Somalia, or any of the other fucked up places we've had people in the last 100 years provides a VALUABLE historical touchstone to:

a. How often we have to relearn in blood the lessons learned in blood by earlier generations.

b. How often we don't do A. above.

c. How often one war is not any more fucked up than any other war.

d. Be it hardtack and salt pork, K rations, canned bully beef, C Rats, LRRPS, or Generation 1 through 20 MRE's that field rations are fucked up.

John Plaster's stuff is amazing. I am reading now Legend: The Incredible Story of Green beret Sergeant Roy Benavidez's Heroic Mission to rescue a Special Forces Team Caught Behind Enemy Lines by Eric Blehm. Much of the MACV-SOG information hasn't been able to be declassified until after 2000 so to use your phrase "scratching the surface" fits.
Maj Plaster's book SOG is in the stack. Currently reading:

Death in the A Shau Valley: L Company LRRPs in Vietnam, 1969-70 [Book]

@Ocoka One - thought of you when I saw this video.

Safe to say that you generation's definition of being "kitted up" would be quite different than ours. That damn medic...no helmet, no gear (that you could really see)...ugh.

Last edited:
Kill me if I use any of the following phrases again:

When I was in Nam...

Back in my day...

This is how we did it back then...

The VC used to...

Or variations thereof...;-)
You are a hero to me. Was never interested unfortunately as a youngster about other wars but Vietnam somehow got into my soul. As a younger girl wanted to grow up and work in VA hospitals even though Im Canadian. I believe about 60,000 Canucks served as well. I am proud of you and some people dont talk about their experiences. I want to hear it all. Be and stay proud.

Safe to say that you generation's definition of being "kitted up" would be quite different than ours. That damn medic...no helmet, no gear (that you could really see)...ugh.

^^^^ The nightly news. Some I would see later at the old WRAMC, 2 years worth of General Surgery. Some we took off the busses with their fatigues still on. They would fly in on C-141's, on a northern heading. WRAMC had busses lined up at Andrews AFB to transport them a third of the way around the beltway to Georgia Ave. Some went straight to the OR. Some to the ICU's, and the stable boys would go to specialty wards, many to orthopedics and general surgery; back in the "30" Ramps of WRAMC. All the wards were wheelchair, and gurney reachable by a series or ramps connecting three floors. Sometimes the young soldiers would have wheelchair ramp races, usually at night. If you decided to walk the ramps you had to have your ears tuned for the sound of rolling wheel chairs. It was not uncommon for the unwise to get nailed in the ankles by the foot rests on the fast rolling chairs. There were rules preventing such sports, and I saw many; even "officiated" a few. I just could not turn in our boys for being who and what they were. There were even some litter bound boys who would use a couple of rubber tipped canes to navigate the ramps, then ride the elevator back up to their floors. A lot went on in the back ramps of WRAMC in the late '60's.

Last edited:

Damn. Pop told me stories as a medic with the 101st. I can remember getting to Bragg in 95. Squad leader showing me how to prep my aid bag... The same aid mag the medic in the video had, M5. How to secure gear with 550 cord and 100mph tape, taping dog tags, an extra tag in the right boot. All apparently done during Nam.

M.

Kitted up. No helmets. Here are my buddies:

John "Paladin" Shockley and "Stretch" Stravaaldsen, suppressive fire on enemy in treeline. Sometimes you had to expose yourself to get your rounds on target. The 40mm HE round from Shockley's M79 is a blur at right.

f8fba8a7-7b93-4702-bfe5-d9946b719570.jpg

Me. We decorated our boonie hats with frag rings.

photo2_zps94380b4f.jpg

Kitted up. "RJ" Carrier and "Frenchy" Pelletiere. We and counterparts were evacuated by 46 to LZ Baldy when our AO flooded during Typhoon Kate.

lzbaldy.jpg

Combined Action Platoon 2-7-10. I am far right, standing, shirtless. Most of us made it home, all of us got wounded at least once.

LM10_zpsf978c35d.jpg

Eddie Caiado and Chipper, our mine and bobbytrap dog.

eddie.jpg

Stretch. One man from each CAP in the company could spend 24 hour R&R at our company compound. Any night behind sandbags and barbed wire was a vacation.

stretch2_zps0434ccdc.jpg

RoyManualJim_zpsc4991388.jpg

Doc Coonfield. I don't know where he got that guitar. Good pic of our kit. Yes, we had helmets, but we strapped them to our rucks when we went mobile.

img003.jpg

Rocket attack on MAG 13 at Marble Mountain, seen from our AO.

marbmtn.jpg

Me. PRC 25, Marlboro.

radio-1.jpg

"Tex" Hernandez. Tex took 3 AK rounds in the back from a sniper. And lived. He spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair but was dedicated to the Corps until his death from cancer a few years ago.

img017.jpg

Boobytraps , toe poppers, pungis, 105 rounds, tripwire frags were a major problem for us. The VC were prolific in our AO. We used to hand these out.

boobyleaf_zpse5412bc6.jpg

Lt Col JJ Tolnay, CO, 2nd Combined Action Group and a great officer.

ColTolnay_zpsb133ebd7.jpg

That's the show.

Last edited:
Back