National Vietnam Veterans Day

I was looking for something else and happened upon this thread from 2019…worth a read and listen. Actually just this very moment has inspired me for my next forum project.

Jocko Willink Podcast with MACV-SOG Veteran

Check out John Stryker Meyer's SOGCast. He's up to something like 40 episodes so far.

I have chatted with the guy who runs the MACV-SOG facebook page.

The cat is out of the bag, I am writing a book about Vietnam veterans, short stories and vignettes about their time in VN. The guy has put me in touch with a handful of MACV-SOG guys. The goal of my book is to get some stories out--any stories, it doesn't have to be about combat--before this generation passes on. @Gunz is being very helpful.

before this generation passes on.
With all respect to the WW2 warriors, Vietnam vets have always been the generation I most looked up to. In high school I read every “I was there” book I could get my hands on, very much looking forward to reading your book. Chickenhawk and FiveFingers amongst my favorites and most memorable.

I still feel like I could could half-assed fly a helicopter just based off of reading Chickenhawk! Lol.

With all respect to the WW2 warriors, Vietnam vets have always been the generation I most looked up to. In high school I read every “I was there” book I could get my hands on, very much looking forward to reading your book. Chickenhawk and FiveFingers amongst my favorites and most memorable.

I still feel like I could could half-assed fly a helicopter just based off of reading Chickenhawk! Lol.

Chickenhawk! was an amazing read.

Here's my impetus: when I was a wee lad I was aware of those in my family who were in WW2 and Korea; I even had a couple of great uncles or cousins however-many-removed who were in WW1. But I was young and naïve and didn't understand the gravity of what they did. By the time I DID, they were all passing away and it was too late. And as that wee lad, growing up on Camp Lejeune, you could not swing a dead cat for hitting a someone who was in VN, so it really did not interest me at that time. Because it was normal.

The VN generation is now that generation. If my dad was alive he'd be 87. And going to war is not normal, and they should tell their stories. Good, bad, funny, mundane, boring, whatever. Because soon it's going to be too late.

Back