National Vietnam Veterans Day

I just want to get in before all of the internet Sarn't Majors show up with comments about how uniform standards = combat effectiveness.

We decorated our bush hats with grenade rings. I don't think there was a SgtMaj within 20 klicks of us. Highest rank I ever had to deal with on a daily basis was our CAP Actual, a 2nd tour E5. Once in awhile they'd send out a Lt to spend the night with us so he could get his CAR. :ROFLMAO:

Fuck yeah.

@Kraut783 , my third day in the bush I watched two F4’s dropping nape on a place nicknamed the Arizona. They came down out of low monsoon clouds, roared over our heads so low we could clearly see the white flight helmets, ran down range and then soared straight up into the cloud cover…while underneath we’d see this brilliant black-orange roiling ball of nape expanding like a ballon and then the sound and concussion…I felt the concussion right up through the soles of my jungle boots. It was fucking awesome.

Watching (and feeling) fixed-wing CAS come in on call and obliterate the motherfuckers who’ve been shooting at you is about the greatest thing a ground-pounder can experience.

Last edited:
Fuck yeah.

@Kraut783 , my third day in the bush I watched two F4’s dropping nape on a place nicknamed the Arizona. They came down out of low monsoon clouds, roared over our heads so low we could clearly see the white flight helmets, ran down range and then soared straight up into the cloud cover…while underneath we’d see this brilliant black-orange roiling ball of nape expanding like a ballon and then the sound and concussion…I felt the concussion right up through the soles of my jungle boots. It was fucking awesome.

Watching (and feeling) fixed-wing CAS come in on call and obliterate the motherfuckers who’ve been shooting at you is about the greatest thing a ground-pounder can experience.

Oh yeah, old man? Well, I...I...set up my wife's Cricut this weekend. You and your lame ass "napalm kept me alive story" doesn't look so good now, does it?

Fucking Boomers...

IMG_3822.jpeg

Dad was there from ‘66-‘67 as part of MACV advisory Team #93, and then as chief Engineer & Fire Marshal on Tan Son Nhut airbase with 25ID from ‘69-‘70.

Infantry advisors received CIBs regardless of branch. He was very proud of his. Second tour he received the Soldiers Medal for running into a burning ammo building. He was proud of that one as well.

He never told me the story of calling in air strikes to relieve an ARVN Battalion in contact. He got the Vietnamese Gallantry Cross for that one. I found that out after he died.

This photo was before the second tour when he briefly commanded the 307th Engineer Battalion, Fort Bragg. So many officers punching command tickets in Vietnam meant Majors got short commands while waiting for an O5.

Last edited:
View attachment 44356

Dad was there from ‘66-‘67 as part of MACV advisory Team #93, and then as chief Engineer & Fire Marshal on Tan Son Nhut airbase with 25ID from ‘69-‘70.

Infantry advisors received CIBs regardless of branch. He was very proud of his. Second tour he received the Soldiers Medal for running into a burning ammo building. He was proud of that one as well.

He never told me the story of calling in air strikes to relieve an ARVN Battalion in contact. He got the Vietnamese Gallantry Cross for that one. I found that out after he died.

This photo was before the second tour when he briefly commanded the 307th Engineer Battalion, Fort Bragg. So many officers punching command tickets in Vietnam meant Majors got short commands while waiting for an O5.

Yes, sir, awesome…hand salute to your Dad’s memory.

Last edited:
View attachment 44356

You're a spitting image of your pop, brother.

We've had others. I can recall some Green Berets and MACV/SOG guys who've come and gone. Hollis--who started the "Let's see that shooter" thread was either Marine or Army infantry I think, but he hasn't posted in years.

Back