Navy plans to offer ‘early out’ options for certain enlisted sailors

I read the article. This is a much better way of doing things, IMO, than a straight up RIF like the Army has done in the past.

That said, I hope that Sailors considering making the jump back into civilian life have a plan, and a job. The economy isn't doing so well in a lot of areas, especially lower skilled / entry level positions due to COVID. Sometimes it's better to have a job you don't completely love, than to not have a job at all.

The Navy is a snake that eats its own tail, it mans at 100% or even over 100% in certain ratings, so there is practically little movement and promotion, then they get concerned that there's a high year tenure and looking for a way to get them out.

They've been talking about force realignment and allowing for cross-decking in ratings so as to make sure that people who want to stay in have the opportunity, then they decide to have to chop personnel and offer early-out opportunities.

Last edited:
The Navy is a snake that eats its own tail, it mans at 100% or even over 100% in certain ratings, so there is practically little movement and promotion, then they get concerned that there's a high year tenure and looking for a way to get them out.

They've been talking about force realignment and allowing for cross-decking in ratings so as to make sure that people who want to stay in have the opportunity, then they decide to have to chop personnel and offer early-out opportunities.
Well, if the next presidential administration is like the ones we had in the recent pass, there will probably be plenty of wars to go around and plenty of work for anyone who wants to stay in uniform. :(

Well, if the next presidential administration is like the ones we had in the recent pass, there will probably be plenty of wars to go around and plenty of work for anyone who wants to stay in uniform. :(

I agree, and after I read this thread I read an article in the Military Times about the Marines being down six infantry battalions and the Navy a hundred ships to adequately compete with peer and near-peer competitors. I fear that business is going to be booming for our military industrial complex.

I agree, and after I read this thread I read an article in the Military Times about the Marines being down six infantry battalions and the Navy a hundred ships to adequately compete with peer and near-peer competitors. I fear that business is going to be booming for our military industrial complex.
I used to consider that job security for me, but with my children approaching military-service age, I'm starting to wish for more peace to break out, instead of what we've had for the last ~20 years.

We keep screaming about "near peer" and doing nothing of substance. At least the fictitious missile gap had some "progress", instead these days we howl about the boogyman but aren't bothered to look under the bed.

Rumsfeld did something similar and he was a pretty good SECDEF...

----

When you put your national defense into the hands of MBA's like McNamara, you will lose. Period. Dot. End of story. We appoint businessmen/women to run something that shouldn't turn a profit. They view it as such instead of how to take less of a loss.

Look at the new carriers and the F-35 and tell me managed those programs efficiently. I'll wait...

We keep screaming about "near peer" and doing nothing of substance. At least the fictitious missile gap had some "progress", instead these days we howl about the boogyman but aren't bothered to look under the bed.

----

When you put your national defense into the hands of MBA's like McNamara, you will lose. Period. Dot. End of story. We appoint businessmen/women to run something that shouldn't turn a profit. They view it as such instead of how to take less of a loss.

Look at the new carriers and the F-35 and tell me managed those programs efficiently. I'll wait...
There will come a time when the incompetence of our enemies won't be enough to overcome our inefficiencies, distractions, and bureaucracy. :(

----

Rumsfeld was a McNamara protege.
Force cap in Afghanistan when Iraq was starting was dumb, Limiting targets in Afghanistan was dumb, not giving Shinseki the post-hostilities force level in Iraq was dumb.

China is our only "near-peer" competitor, they are building their military as if they are on a war footing.
Taiwan goes away during a Biden Presidency, and so does our status as the world's superpower.

Back