Navy says it is ready to end ban on women in submarines

The irony, from a a friend of mine's perspective, is this: an enlisted submarine Sailor who is now an LDO cannot get back onto a sub (no LDOs on subs for some reason), yet some gal can. Don't get that.

I'd like to know how much better the Surface Navy is with women aboard. We already know that they lowered standards from female F-14 pilots.

The irony, from a a friend of mine's perspective, is this: an enlisted submarine Sailor who is now an LDO cannot get back onto a sub (no LDOs on subs for some reason), yet some gal can. Don't get that.

I'd like to know how much better the Surface Navy is with women aboard. We already know that they lowered standards from female F-14 pilots.

Psst.....let's talk about this comment privately....................

Psst.....let's talk about this comment privately....................

You two have fun with that, but he's right. All? No. But the first generation of pilots were allowed standards that were less than that of their male counterparts. Now, did every one of them use those standards? Nope, but at least one did and her family collected SGLI for it. Hultgren's death will always be a source of contention, one of those issues where both sides are adamant that she was allowed lower standards than her counterparts/ she wasn't allowed lower standards/ conspiracy/ whatever.

I think she got a pass and I think others did too, she was the only one to die from it.

Why can't we talk about it publicly?

I don't like to discuss a few things on a public forum if I have a "personal/emotional" opinion about something, that's just my own personal way of handling it. He and I discussed it, it's all good. :) I'm a civilian with a civilian viewpoint only. I personally don't think women should be in subs either, surface or airdale I don't see a problem as long as they are TRULY qualified. Again, just my viewpoint and it's ok to disagree. :)

I'd like to know how much better the Surface Navy is with women aboard.

I wrote to a female sailor for a long time...you don't want to know. And I'm not going to discuss it privately either...nothing personal.

I don't like to discuss a few things on a public forum if I have a "personal/emotional" opinion about something, that's just my own personal way of handling it.

Yeah, well "personal/emotions" have nothing to do with facts.

I wrote to a female sailor for a long time...you don't want to know. And I'm not going to discuss it privately either...nothing personal.

I'm not offended.

Ms Kitty and I had a very reasonable and reasoned discussion on the topic. We understand each other's positions on the topic. We approach from different points of view.

My position is solid on this because if it can be refuted by actual supporting facts, I could be persuaded. Thus far on this, and other similar topics, I've not heard a compelling "pro" argument presented.

Unfortunately, most of what counts as debate on this type of social engineering policy trends to emotional positions. That does not sway me; if that makes me a bigot or chauvinist, so be it - the use of that term makes my point.

So, I reiterate my question to those who think this is a great idea: how is the military made measurably better?

We've had girls on subs since 98, the Dutch since 88, just another thing to get used to, in 10 years time it will be as if it's always been like that.
Sorry for digging up an old thread. To my knowledge the Dutch do NOT have female on board submarines (maybe as passenger but not as crew)
Marine corps still dont have female in their ranks and neither has army SF. Rest of NL MOD does have them in their ranks

I don't see what all the fuss is about, I for one think we should have more women going down on our military. :eek: Oh no he di-int.

On a serious note: I agree with LongTab on the question of how will we be made better for it. Everybody always screams about fairness when it comes to letting women have a go at certain things, then give them their own sub full of women to prove it with and they won't have to change a thing. The standard is the standard and should be risen to, not lowered or changed for whiners. This is especially true for SOF groups that do not allow women. If they can do it that well then they don't need men along to hold their hands, give them their own team and let them do the job.

Will they be able to find a sub big enough. :)

Sex in confined spaces..? Ha..ha! :p

Knowing the time women can spend in the bathroom, could you imagine the queue to the head or shower running to the whole length of the sub. Ha..ha! :eek:

No offence intended! Only joking there!! ;)

In a more serious note, as long as it does not effect the morale of the majority of the male crew or ends up costing a fortune in having to refit subs to accommadate women.

Back