Navy SEAL Shot, Killed During Training

• Thread starter Boondocksaint375
  • Start date
B

Boondocksaint375

Navy SEAL Shot, Killed During Training

By CHELSEA J. CARTER – 10 hours ago
SAN DIEGO (AP) — The Navy is investigating the death of a SEAL who was killed during a live-fire training exercise in Mississippi.
The SEAL, whose identity was being withheld until relatives could be notified, died Wednesday after being shot during training near Lake Cormorant, Miss., said Lt. Tommy Crosby, a Naval Special Warfare Group 1 spokesman in Coronado, Calif.
A Coronado-based SEAL team was practicing close-quarter combat at the time of the incident, Crosby said.
Navy officials said the SEAL was given immediate medical treatment but would not say what wounds he suffered. No other details surrounding the death were to be immediately released, Crosby said.
The death was being investigated by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service and the DeSoto County Sheriff's Department.
The Navy did not immediately identify the training facility, referring to it only as a "training facility run by contractors."
Capt. Thomas L. Brown, the commanding officer of the SEAL team, called the death a "terrible loss."
"I extend my deepest condolences and heartfelt sympathy to his family and friends," he said.
The Navy has about 2,300 SEALs, known for their elite special operations training and missions. They are based in Coronado and Little Creek, Va.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hXcZ0JbDIO5XocCdfjBl0NrTcXsQD8UH5PM80

RIP Warrior. My thoughts and prayers out to the members of his team and his family and friends back at home...

I will never forget how hazardous training is for special forces.

This is the first I've heard of it. I had a missed call on my cell phone this morning from my son. Maybe that's what he was going to tell me.

Rest easy Sailor Warrior.

Thank you for your sacrifice and you service to our great nation.

RIP!

Latest on frog killed at Shaws.

SAN DIEGO—A Navy SEAL shot and killed during a live-fire exercise was identified Friday as a 22-year-old Las Vegas man.
Petty Officer 2nd Class Shapoor Alexander Ghane Jr. died Wednesday from gunshot wounds suffered during a training exercise at a facility run by contractors in Lake Cormorant, Miss.

Ghane, known as Alexander, was participating with his Coronado-based SEAL team in a "close-quarter combat" training scenario—fighting an enemy with weapons at very close range, said Lt. Tommy Crosby, a Naval Special Warfare Group 1 spokesman in Coronado, Calif.

The shooting occurred at the Mid-South Institute of Self-Defense Shooting, a contractor facility sometimes used by the military for specialized training, Crosby said.

Ghane was pronounced dead after being taken via air ambulance to Elvis Presley Memorial Hospital.

Ghane's SEAL team mates described him as driven and dedicated.

"Alex died doing what he loved. He died a SEAL, with his teammates around him," said Ghane's unit commander, whose identity was withheld because of classified nature of the team's missions.

Ghane joined the Navy in June 2004 and entered SEAL training in November 2004. He joined the West Coast seal teams in June 2007.

"Our family is devastated at the sudden loss of Alexander," his family said in a statement released by the Navy. "We are proud of him, proud of all of his accomplishments and the man that he had become."

Crosby said no other details surrounding the death would be immediately released.
The death was under joint investigation by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service and the DeSoto County Sheriff's Department.

The Navy has about 2,300 SEALS, known for their elite special operations training and missions, based in Coronado and Little Creek, Va.

Back