Need some diet tweaking

Lol, well I can swim it's getting technique down that'll matter most for me (that and getting down how to hold my breath when under longer). Oh, and I always add some cinnamon sugar to my oatmeal in the morning, not a whole lot but it helps!

Something our motivator told us to do in order to get better at breath holding (without actually doing it in the pool) was to practice in the bed at night. While you're lying in your bed, inhale > hold > exhale. You can build up your lungs that way.
The other thing we were told CONTINUOUSLY was that if/when we made it to the breath holding evolutions (under water swims, knot tying, drown proofing) we would have had enough practice to where it would be one of the easier evolutions. It's all about staying calm and technique, just like everything else. :thumbsup:
What kind of breath holding stuff do you guys have at A&S?

You'd have to ask someone at A&S I've yet to go, just a former Marine turned civie trying to improve matters until I CAN head to a A&S :p

Don't worry too much about swimming, I'd say general fitness is more important. I was a recreational triathlete and was able to complete the 50m underwater and drown proofing the first times I tried them. It's something to train for when you get close to doing it, but general fitness is much more important.

Don't worry too much about swimming, I'd say general fitness is more important. I was a recreational triathlete and was able to complete the 50m underwater and drown proofing the first times I tried them. It's something to train for when you get close to doing it, but general fitness is much more important.

Well it will be a bit cheaper anyhow, the damn Y charges $6 per swim session lol! Well I'm not recreational triathlete, but think I'll still do swimming on the weekend to get practice in. As it stands I can't get very far at all underwater swim, though that's partly from bad form.

You can train breath holding without having to swim. I don't have pool access right now, but when SOFWODs has the over-unders programmed I'll just row instead. I row fairly hard for :20 while holding my breath, row for :20 while breathing normally, and then take whatever rest interval is prescribed. You can also do this with running. Another technique is breathing ladders. You take an exercise that is pretty full body, but not too technique oriented. KB swings fort example. Swing the bell one time, take ONE breath, swing twice, breathe twice. You can up to 10,15,20, whatever and then back down to 1 and 1. Shit is brutal.

Stew Smith has a good video on youtube of good 50m underwater form. Form has a lot to do with it, you really need to maximize your glide and relax- so it's all about stroke efficiency and hydrodynamics, stay close to the bottom.

CDG , your T-nation article mentions "smart fats". Other than nuts and olive oil, what would be some good examples?

CDG , your T-nation article mentions "smart fats". Other than nuts and olive oil, what would be some good examples?

Coconut oil, sunflower oil, sunflower seeds,avocado, any of the nut butters. I pretty much get all my fat from coconut or olive oil. I just cook my food in one, or both, and I'm good to go. I'll use olives in a stir fry, or mix them into a chili, and I always have almonds or pecans around just to snack on.

So, maybe adding some (insert nut) butter into a morning mash up of oats, greek yogurt & protein powder?

So, maybe adding some (insert nut) butter into a morning mash up of oats, greek yogurt & protein powder?

That could work. When I was still doing dairy, I used to mix greek yogurt with a little fruit, some honey, and a couple handfuls of almonds. Shit was pretty damn good.

Right now my breakfast consists of Greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom. It's good stuff. I use fresh fruit & honey for my Pre-WO oatmeal.
Once I get these last few pounds off, I'm thinking of going with:
1 packet plain oatmeal w/water
1 container of Greek yogurt
1 scoop protein
Butter procured from some type of nut (I refuse to continue saying "nut butter" :mad::ROFLMAO:)

Also thinking of switching over to Almond milk vice regular skim milk. I know there are plenty of anti-diary folks around here...thoughts?

ETA: I won't be making my own butter or anything else. Is there anything I should look for and/or avoid when reading labels on almond/peanut butter? I'm a simple guy who usually just buys JIF.

Also thinking of switching over to Almond milk vice regular skim milk. I know there are plenty of anti-diary folks around here...thoughts?

ETA: I won't be making my own butter or anything else. Is there anything I should look for and/or avoid when reading labels on almond/peanut butter? I'm a simple guy who usually just buys JIF.

I use the original, unsweetened almond milk. It tastes good, but there's nothing really to it from a nutrient standpoint.

Avoid the shit that has a bunch of sugar added, if you can afford it. Typically this will mean buying all-natural from a smaller brand. I think even the stuff touted as "natural" by larger companies like JIF and Skippy have sugar added to them. Like I said, it'll be more expensive, but there is a surprising amount of sugar added to peanut butter.

Back