Nepal Plane Crash

Wow, I felt “wrong” for watching the two aircraft collide during the airshow last month.

I don’t think I could watch this; personal soapbox opinion I don’t think anyone should watch this unless they are officially investigating the cause of the crash.

To add… I question the validity of the video, this just happened and they’ve already accessed the cell phone and released this video?

To add… I question the validity of the video, this just happened and they’ve already accessed the cell phone and released this video?
It was a Facebook live. The person taking the video was actively streaming it online as it happened.

It's becoming much more common that these recordings are happening in real time with car crashes, shootings (NZ comes to mind), suicides, and other such things.

ETA: I think the person writing the article is conflating that the phone continued recording with it being found after the fact.

There is a longer cut of the video on reddit (didn't watch but read comments) that state the phone kept recording after the crash until the heat killed it.

Same thing I thought at first: massive fire and plane crash, and the camera wasn't crushed or burned? And the dude is dead but they were able to immediately unlock it?

...but they said it was livestreamed, which it went straight to the Internet, presumably, thereby bypassing all of the above.

The cellphone footage at the beginning of this news clip doesn't show the crash, but the actions just before it.

The plane looks like it goes belly up below (guesstimate) 2k feet.

It was a Facebook live. The person taking the video was actively streaming it online as it happened.

It's becoming much more common that these recordings are happening in real time with car crashes, shootings (NZ comes to mind), suicides, and other such things.

ETA: I think the person writing the article is conflating that the phone continued recording with it being found after the fact.

There is a longer cut of the video on reddit (didn't watch but read comments) that state the phone kept recording after the crash until the heat killed it.
Which is why streaming services and social media companies should be liable for the content published on their platforms. They can either moderate all content or none at all. Since we know they moderate some, that puts them on the hook.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here with livestreaming.

That's basically impossible to automate and moderate while it's happening.
The Christchurch shooting is kind of the prime example of this, because it didn't get flagged by a user until after the shooting was finished, which didn't even make it past Facebook's automod feature before the police contacted the company directly.

Hell, you can just pitch shift stuff and beat auto mods on most social sites.

The only way to "moderate all content" is to employ millions of people or not allow most posts for the average user.

ETA: I'm not disagreeing with your overall point that something needs to change in how this works with content, but I don't think all or nothing is feasible.

Last edited:
The only way to "moderate all content" is to employ millions of people or not allow most posts for the average user.
Then you do understand. ;-) ...well, kind of.

All or none.

There are other ways. Ex, maybe don't allow unmoderated real-time stream. They could put it on a x-second delay, like live networks tv, to allow moderation, etc. Algorithms and AI are leveraged for other content and so on.

Last edited:
If it's not illegal--i.e. criminally prosecutorial--it shouldn't be moderated. Big Tech has already shown that they cannot be trusted. Users need to be protected from Big Tech and their political allies/masters, not from each other. We are big boys and girls and can take care of ourselves and our own feelings.

Last edited:
Which graphic are you talking about? The planes?

That’s not CNN that was from another website. Www.Flightradar24.com
No, the one from combat_learjet is absolutely Flight Radar, which is why I posted that link (and probably should've only posted that one but not everyone has IG).

In the Mediasite link I posted, there's a CNN video. In the CNN video, CNN created their own illustration to dramatize the event even more.

That's not to suggest a runway incursion isn't a big deal, it absolutely is, but the media loves to sensationalize it even more.

Looked to me like pilot error. Tried to correct altitude with pitch instead of power, stalled and died for it.
Does look like a pretty classic stall into the ground . . . but it's always better to wait for the investigation to finish. Sometimes it's just as straight forward as it looks. And then there are those occasions where there's a lot going on we don't know about that directly impacts what we're seeing.

Does look like a pretty classic stall into the ground . . . but it's always better to wait for the investigation to finish. Sometimes it's just as straight forward as it looks. And then there are those occasions where there's a lot going on we don't know about that directly impacts what we're seeing.

Of course! Hence the “looks to me”. I have a ppl, which is the limit of my expertise.

Back