New Airport Screening Procedures for the Military?

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
Posted for your information and comment:

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_n...ouse-considers-new-tsa-rules-for-us-military?

Members of the U.S. military flying on official orders may soon see faster security screening while traveling through the nation's airports.
H.R. 1801, introduced in May by Rep. Chip Cravaack, R-Minn., would create new airport security screening procedures for members of the U.S. military. The U.S. House of Representatives is expected to vote today on the legislation.
"I'm pleased this bill is coming to the floor — it is past due for so many of our nation's heroes serving our great country," Cravaack said in a statement. "Our soldiers who are putting their lives on the line in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, and elsewhere should be afforded extra respect when returning home to their loved ones and shouldn't be viewed as potential terrorists in our airports."
The bill, also known as the ‘‘Risk-Based Security Screening for Members of The Armed Forces Act," would direct the Transportation Security Administration within six months to implement expedited security screening for members of the U.S. military and any family members traveling with them.
Rep. Laura Richardson, D-Calif., a member of the Committee on Homeland Security on which Cravaack also serves, urged support of the bill. "It’s needed, it’s common sense and it’s legislation with bipartisan support,” she said.

It's funny (not really), when I went to Ft. Benning last month, there was a MSG that was made to take off his boots and blouse. He was offended and PISSED!!!! We talked a little after. That was the first time either of us had seen that happen to someone in uniform. And it wasn't just him, they were doing it to other uniformed soldiers. The rare couple of times I have flown in uniform, I was told I didn't have to take off my boots and if the machine beeped, they did a quick wand and let me pass.

My Dad used to tell me that they had special lines and LNOs in most airports for military folks during the Vietnam war. He also remembers traveling in Class B's with ribbons and badges. He about had a cow the first time he saw Soldiers in the airport in ACUs. I reminded him that they were flying to and from overseas. He then asked "why the heck are they flying civilian contract aircraft, shouldn't the USAF be doing this?"

I personally think the TSA needs to review screening measures for all. I'm fine with no knives, no sharp things, no hair clippers but no water from outside the screening area? No gels/liquids larger than 3oz? Taking off my shoes for screening? Really? Common now. Who made up those rules and where is the "science", the data, to back them up. It's ridiculous what people go through now and it's set a crazy cycle in motion. Flight attendants and other folks from the golden age of flying say that traveler dress has gone south. Well it's gone south because travelers (more of them since it became more affordable to fly) have to almost fully de-robe for security. Travelers get agitated, TSA has to enforce so they get agitated. They're agitated at each other etc etc. See what I mean?

And quite frankly, I'm growing of what I personally see as "military exceptionalism." I really don't care about speedy airport lines or a 10% discount from stores or a free meal on Veteran's Day. I don't like being always singled out from the rest of the population. I am thankful about a lot of the perks or accolades we recieve from the populace at large but to me those don't address the issue. I'd rather be told that help is on the way in the form of new recruits (and a larger military), better pay for enlisted Soldiers, and more onus (read: encouragement) placed by civic leaders, sports leaders, business leaders, government leaders on young men and women to do their duty and serve. For example, Justin Timberlake/Mila Kunis would have had a coup if they had shown up to the Marine Corps Ball (which they did, class act btw), with their enlistment papers in hand. (ala the likes of Jack Webb, Jimmy Stewart, Pat Tillman, Ted Williams) But I digress.....

Isn't this stuff usually handled by a freakin' agency memo? Did Congress pass a law to start the liquid and shoe thing in the first place? I would HOPE those dipshits in Congress would have better things to do but clearly I've given them too much credit.

Viper I understand your Dads view. I was reguired to travel into Viet Nam on a Braniff airplane wearing my ribbons and landed in the middle of a mortar attack. I think the outpouring you see today is to compensate how the Korean and Viet Nam veterans were treated when they came home. I for one am glad they are treating you as an exception because you are. Nobody except a special person takes the road of military service.
Respectfully,
Bill

It's funny (not really), when I went to Ft. Benning last month, there was a MSG that was made to take off his boots and blouse. He was offended and PISSED!!!! We talked a little after. That was the first time either of us had seen that happen to someone in uniform. And it wasn't just him, they were doing it to other uniformed soldiers. The rare couple of times I have flown in uniform, I was told I didn't have to take off my boots and if the machine beeped, they did a quick wand and let me pass.

The airport I fly into and out of my home state is the local airport for many Airmen, as there is an Air Force base about 20 minutes away. It's no uncommon for me to see them take their boots off, but I never remember them having to take off their blouses. I've never heard a fuss from any of them. Perhaps just a bad day for the good MSG.

I was once told, the only people that have to do the random pat downs are elderly ladies with knitting needles and the military in uniform.

The airport I fly into and out of my home state is the local airport for many Airmen, as there is an Air Force base about 20 minutes away. It's no uncommon for me to see them take their boots off, but I never remember them having to take off their blouses. I've never heard a fuss from any of them. Perhaps just a bad day for the good MSG.

I was once told, the only people that have to do the random pat downs are elderly ladies with knitting needles and the military in uniform.

I took my boots off once in uniform and after I walked through the metal detector, I was told soldiers in uniform don't have to take them off. The couple of times after that I didn't take off my boots and wasn't talked to at all.

I want to say I was in Phoenix when the MSG went through his troubles. And it wasn't just him, it was the PVT behind me and another gentleman that was probably 5 people up.

I guess the biggest issue I see is consistency, or lack there of. It seems as though each airport interprets the "rules" their own way. But I fly in civies, so I don't mind getting treated like everyone else. :D

At Anchorage, while in uniform (not sure about orders) they were told to go to the First Class line, which get's processed through their own scanner and belt. The regular line uses the belt when there is no one in the FC line, but once someone gets in it they go first. Anyone with an airport ID could too though.

I think it's a good idea to fast track the mil through what is a piece of theatre anyway. Over here we've recently removed the liquid requirements of disposing of anything larger than 250ml. The threat level is still the same but it is encouraging that some restrictions have been eased. I posted a thread on the future of airport security but didn't seem to get much response, which is odd. Onsidering the thrust of the article implied there would be more, not less.
Airport security, apart from the usual requirements, such as Customs and a state and federal presence is 24 carat horse shit. It gives the appearance of safety but is plain inconvenient.

No gels/liquids larger than 3oz? Taking off my shoes for screening? Really? Common now. Who made up those rules and where is the "science", the data, to back them up.

Betcha a dollar I could:

go to the liquor store/gun shop down the way
the hardware store next door to it
make one purchase from a mail order company

and be able to fabricate something in less than a day upon having all the supplies, that would be able to at a minimum cause an explosive decompression of an aircraft given the ability to carry a couple average size shampoo containers onboard in my carry-on.

This takes into account the suicide bomber thought process of not giving a fuck about myself, as well.

Total cost would be under $200 as well per implementation.

Why is that? The fact that you're in the military isn't classified. As far as I know there hasn't been an attack targeting a uniformed servicemember on a domestic US carrier since... well, ever.

I'm glad to see servicemembers in uniform at airports, it helps break down the distance between those in uniform and those whom we serve, and helps remind people there's a war on. I also think it's good for the individual troops to see how much the people are behind them.

I absolutely refuse to where a uniform while traveling. PERSEC is very important to me.

I always felt uncomfortable wearing a uniform out in public. I also used to carry my military ID, but I would never use it. I defaulted to my drivers license for getting into bars and whatnot.

Why is that? The fact that you're in the military isn't classified. As far as I know there hasn't been an attack targeting a uniformed servicemember on a domestic US carrier since... well, ever.

I'm glad to see servicemembers in uniform at airports, it helps break down the distance between those in uniform and those whom we serve, and helps remind people there's a war on. I also think it's good for the individual troops to see how much the people are behind them.

I think it makes you too much of a target. There may have never been an attack targeting a uniformed servicemember on a US carrier, but there are other ways to be targeted. Anti-war protestors, guys trying to prove how tough they are by starting shit with a military guy, etc. I would prefer to be the grey man.

I made a post a while back about something that happened to me. I was in civis departing from NYC, I showed my Mil ID to TSA. They made a big fuss. treated me like a hero and rushed me through to the front of the line. Then I refused to go through the scanner and they had to pat me down. Ridiculous.

I think anyone showing Mil ID regardless of if they are wearing uniform or not should be expedited through security.

I made a post a while back about something that happened to me. I was in civis departing from NYC, I showed my Mil ID to TSA. They made a big fuss. treated me like a hero and rushed me through to the front of the line. Then I refused to go through the scanner and they had to pat me down. Ridiculous.

I think anyone showing Mil ID regardless of if they are wearing uniform or not should be expedited through security.

I don't mind waiting in line. In fact, I get to the airport extra early so I can wait in line. If there are no lines, I get to people watch. I just don't like being called out and be made the focus of attention. Thankfully I travel in civies all the time now, though that doesn't always matter. I've been called out twice by TSA.

The first time I was in uniform and got called out (the TSA person was probably 100 feet away yelling for me) to be expedited through security.

The other time I was in civies and seated on the plane. I had showed my .mil ID and orders to check in and after boarding, they announced there were a couple of first class seats open for .mil types. I was happy in the back of the plane but then the lady that checked my luggage came back (well, within four or five rows, and while pointing at me, shouted something to the effect of "Sir, I know you're military! Come up to first class.") Really lady??? I appreciate the gesture, but if I didn't move 5 minutes ago when the announcement was made, I probably don't want to be outed in front of everyone else on the plane. O_o Thanks for trying though.

I traveled home for winter block leave in my A's pretty much every year. Then again, I had a 6" folder in my pocket and just walked through the metal detectors with no wanding after showing ID and leave papers. This was back in 2000 though.

I saw no reason to hide my military status/service/etc, and to be honest it served 2 purposes. The people I wouldn't have wanted to be bothered by stayed the fuck away from me, and those who were cool, would strike up conversations and generally make the time spent on the plane or in the airport more enjoyable.

I don't mind waiting in line. In fact, I get to the airport extra early so I can wait in line.

You're a fucking weirdo! :D

I hate waiting in line despite my heritage lol
The reason I show my ID is to get through the BS as quickly and painlessly as possible.

LOL! To clarify, I get there early in case the line is longer than usual. I don't mind waiting in line and I enjoy people watching. I laugh at all the hot heads that get frustrated in line. Getting frustrated doesn't make it move quicker. People need to just deal with it and save their aggravation for the grope session. :D

Back