New guys...

Hey everybody,

My name is Max and I’m 28 years old. I’m currently an infantryman in the ARNG, planning on trying out for 19th within the next two years. I’ve been on AD, have a deployment to Afghanistan followed by a few months at WRAMC where I met a couple of long tabbed individuals who helped push me to fight a med board and stay on Active Duty. I’ve worked as a narcotics detective for 7 years at a major metropolitan agency, followed by another deployment to Afghanistan as a DoS security contractor. I have a bachelors in political science and I’m finishing up my masters in Middle Eastern studies after which I’ll be enrolling in a PhD program. My draw to SF has always been the less glamourous side of it. FID is truly an art and I’ve always been fascinated with the idea of training an indigenous force of fighters from scratch. SF are truly force multipliers and my fascination and understanding of various cultures throughout the world would make this a good fit for me. Right now my biggest hurdle is getting past this back injury I got while training for a lifting comp, a good old L5/S1. I was recently cleared to start running again so I’m slowly getting back what I’ve lost.

Evening,

Currently a JFO in VA ARNG, in the process of picking up second MOS 11C. I’m working on getting a Recruiting & Retention broadening assignment next month. That is a three year AGR contract but I hope I will be able to link up with 19th Group in WV and attend SFRE in TY2020. My goal as it stands currently is to become an 18E. Comms are the bread and butter of the FiSTer life and so I would like to continue down that lane. Cards on the table, I was a careless silverspooned screw up before the army. I have no education higher than HS Diploma and therefore the civilian life is pretty stagnant. I want to be full time Army not only because of the stability, but because it plays to my strengths. Army is the only thing I’ve excelled at and I truly enjoy it. My wake up call was realizing at 3am in the pissing cold rain on minimal sleep, huddled with my two other fisters, that I was happier calling fire support in the worst conditions than working my civilian job in the best conditions.

This lead me to Special Forces. The mission, intended mission at least, is the free the oppressed. As I understand it, the purpose is to imbed with local forces, and help them free themselves from oppression. Now if I can achieve this high calling, while being able to do what I love, that is the pinnacle right there. Planning, teaching, implementing, and coordinating communications of all kinds is where my passion lies. I could sit as an FO in a Guard unit and do rotations to non-combat zones for the rest of my career. But I would much rather go and help someone. We are soldiers and we kill. Lethality is our main objective, and amplifying that lethality is what I love doing. But if I can then I will focus that ability towards this goal: to free the oppressed.

Last thing I want to say is this: Reading Message to Garcia truly guided my thoughts toward mission mindfulness. Yeah I get it, OE changes and sometimes we are not doing the job or mission we thought we would. I am not looking through rose colored glasses. The world is messy. “... the accomplishment of my mission” will always be first priority. I joined this group so a mentor can guide my career preparation, hold me accountable to standards he wants for his “dream A-Team” and give me a reality insight to the SF world I can only view from a distance. I want the support of others at my level going through this with me. I want to pass on what I have learned to those below me. Thank you for your time reading and your consideration in guiding. I appreciate your willingness to pass along the knowledge.

Respectfully,
Taylor

Hi guys,

My name is Mitch. I'm 21 years old and just recently signed for a REP-63 contract through the CA ANG, and am shipping out September 23rd. I am a college student athlete (now former athlete) and am finishing up my degree in May. I don't have a lot to say in why I think I deserve to be what I'm trying to be, and that is simply because I don't believe I have done anything to deserve it. I believe that being a Special Forces soldier would be a great fit for my personality due to my ability to work well within teams and my love of learning about the history and culture of foreign regions. I want to see the world, serve with good men, be the best soldier I can be during the time that I am in, and fulfill my calling I've always had to be in the military. Like I stated previously, I don't feel I deserve to be a Special Forces soldier. But I know I want to be a part of the brotherhood more than anything, and I think that is what matters in the end.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you to the mentors that run this group for helping out all us wannabes.

Mitch

Hello,

My name is Mike, I’m currently serving as a 68w. I’m 27 married with a child. I have done what I wanted to do in life except this. I have had family in every branch except the army, some of which have served in special operations. They talked about the brotherhood and the exceptional men they served with. This has always been a goal of mine, to work with high caliber professionals. The challenge is alluring, to know what your capable of is something very few people ever get to experience in their lives. But the reason why the green berets are my goal is the larger effect that they have on a battle field. And the far reaching influence they have globally after the battle is won. To turn 1 rifle into 100. Knowing when to use those rifles and when to use the relationships you have earned. I would be a good fit because I’m driven and goal oriented. I’m a life long learner that constantly seeks to improve myself In every way I can. A failure is a learning opportunity as much as a sucess, Trust is something long earned and instantly destroyed, and the work never ends.

Thank you for your time,

Mike.

My name is William and I am a college student in GA. Growing up I was in the Boy Scouts and it was there that I first got the itch to go SF. In my unit I was designated as the medical dude, and my scout troop sent me to all sorts of different survival and medical courses. When I got back my job was to help teach the other guys and assist on events. This is when I got hooked. I loved training and learning, then turning around and teaching all that I had worked hard to learn was the best feeling ever. As I got older my interests expanded. Every weekend growing up I was in the woods backpacking, caving, rock climbing, or doing something like that. The cycle of learning a skill, mastering the skill, then teaching the skill was central in all of those events and I lived for it. When I got to college I decided to pursue philosophy because I want to earn a masters in Catholic Theology one day, but also because it is a good intersection of topics which have made me into a well rounded man. After college I am going to do a year of missions before enlisting on an 18x contract. Currently I am still unsure of whether or not to go NG or AD, however I'm not really sweating that decision as I am about 2 years out from enlisting.
The reason I want to be a Green Beret is because I want to be a part of a highly motivated and skilled team of individuals who perform their duties at an incredibly high caliber and teach what they know to others. There is nothing in the civilian sector that can scratch that itch for me and if I don't pursue Special Forces I will regret it for the rest of my life.
To be completely honest, I have always been in a pretty good physical condition just by the nature of an active and outdoors lifestyle, and I am only just now entering the realm of gym fitness. This being said I am 100% open to advice on work out routines and fitness standards. Currently my focus is on distance running and calisthenics as my first gate to SFAS is basic training and I want to crush that.
I'm excited to hear more of y'alls experiences and advice.

My name is Cody. I am a prior service Marine ground radio technician. I want to join Special Forces because of their mission set. My grandparents were subject to years of Japanese occupation during WW2 and hearing the stories they would tell me about their captivity... I don't think anyone deserves to live that way. I want to be part of an organization that brings me the satisfaction that I help others experience freedom like we have here in the States.

I'm currently overseas contracting, but returning back to the States in order to train and coordinate with a recruiter.

My name is Izak and I am 17. I wrestled and play football for my high school. I always have wanted to travel and from a young age I realized I want to challenge myself and serve my country. My grandfather was a Vietnam war Special Forces Medic and he had a profound impact on me. He never talked about it, and I respect that. I want to make a difference in the world other than kicking in doors, I want to to help the least fortunate and protect others. I love medicine (I am a EMR and I am on a Explorer SAR team) and my goal is 18D.

Hello,

My names Andrew. I’m a 13F at JBLM currently returning from the border support mission. I’ve been in the Army for two years and I’m 20 years old.

I want to become a Special Forces Soldier because I believe that there are better ways to win wars than through conventional methods. I also want to work on a team of people where there is a strong mutual trust and I can depend on everyone to accomplish the mission. Working with other cultures so closely has always been a big drawing variable. Above all, I feel that it’s something I need to do. I can’t explain it, I apologize.

Thanks.

Hello gentlemen my name is Tyler aka Dofus. I am from the 757 area of Virginia and I became interested in SF when I seen the SEALs at the airshows and Little Creek. I am into challenges and I love studying cultures and learning period.

Hello everyone

I am a 25 year old civilian and I am planning on joining the army with a 18x contract. I have wanted to serve for most of my life but I feel like I lacked the maturity to actually peruse it. I currently work as a bartender

I have been pretty athletic all my life, as a teenager I played soccer, football, cross country and wrestled for my high school teams as well as competing/participating in cycling fondos/centuries (100 miles on a bike) with my dad. During my junior year I started jujitsu and kickboxing. After high school I wanted to become a pro MMA fighter but after a short lived amateur career I decided it was not worth the brain damage.

I come from a military family on my dads side, my father, grandfather and great grandfather were all army combat veterans as well as cousins, uncles and my brother who are military vets. My mother was born in a rural town in Korea. She came to this country as a teenager years after my biological grand father died. My grandmother met an American soldier in Korea who knocked her up and he brought her family to the states so they could have a better life. My grandfather (step grandpa) is a no bullshit Vietnam vet who has always been there to help my family when we needed it.

When I read about the mission of the Army Special Forces It struck me as something I could find very fulfilling and challenging. It would also give my the opportunity to give back to people in similar circumstances that my own mother and grandmother were in many years ago. I have always been up for challenges both physically and mentally. Most of all I want to serve my country that has been so good to me and when I die I want to know that my life made an impact on someone for the better.

My name is Keegan, I am 29 years old and recently re-enlisted into the National Guard with aspirations of becoming an 18 series Soldier. I spent the last 10 years as a 13M in the National Guard and completed my contract in 2018. I re-enlisted in May of 2019 with a sense of lack of accomplishments in the Military. By no means am I saying that if you don't serve as an Operator your time in the military was not all it could have been, I am saying my time is not done and I am wanting to pursue this career path.

I have work to do and I understand that. I am looking for some direction, no BS feedback from individuals who have been in my boots. A Mentor to assist me in getting ready for the challenge of a lifetime.

The journey is not going to be easy. Especially as I close in on 30. But time and time again it's been said things in life do not come easy especially the ones that are worth it.

I believe I have what it takes simply because I want it. I have put this off long enough and my military career will not be complete until I, at minimum attend SFRE/SFAS. I understand just saying I want it is not enough but it's what is burned into my brain. I have always admired Special Operations as a whole and would be elated to be accepted and have the opportunity to prove myself to so many greats.

Thank you

Hey gents... I posted this as my general forum introduction, and am using most of the same post here, but added a bit for this purpose.

I'm 26, live in Nashville, TN, and have been a videographer, professionally, for ten years. I'm currently working in the country music industry for a high-level country artist. While it's decent money, loads of fun, and interesting travel, I've reached the point where I can't ignore anymore the unfulfilling nature of my work.

When I started in film, I would spend my nights researching the newest camera gear, better ways to color-grade my footage, how to best light and mic a certain scene, or which gamma profile on my camera for bright daylight situations. I took notice at the end of last year that my focus had shifted. As of this moment, I have no clue what new Sony camera is expected to be released, and I'm pretty sure there was an Apple conference keynote the other day that I forgot to watch.

Over the recent years, I started spending my free-time researching things like magnetic north/grid north, TCCC, flashlights, personal fitness, belts/kit, grid reference, wilderness survival/sustainability, etc... Spending time doing things I grew up loving to do, like being on the range and in the woods. Interest was probably magnified as of late by a few incidents (A random person emptying a mag into my car while sitting at a red light in Birmingham, being at Route 91 festival in Vegas for the massacre, etc...), and me realizing I want to spend my life doing something that matters, something that interests me, and ultimately, something that is fulfilling.

I've spent loads of time reading Loadout Room and SOFREP posts, researching, and googling. And it led me to this forum, and its wealth of information. I come from a military family, and I've been courting the idea of military for a while now. After training alongside a buddy while he prepped for BUD/S, and realizing that the amount of money I'd have to spend on civilian courses to learn about/how to do all the things I'm passionate about, I decided I'll stop making excuses, put in the hard work, and do the damn thing.

I am planning on the SF route, through ARNG.

My current place in the process: Just took the ASVAB. I studied a bit, because it had been a while since I did any long division by hand, or any math without a calculator. There was a lot I didn't remember when studying, so I was pleasantly surprised at my scores (AFQT: 93 GT: 129, CO: 127).

Now I'm getting all my educational documents together and completing the extensive enlistment data sheet, and every week I carry something just a bit heavier for just a bit longer. I'm not a pro athlete, but I can hold my own, and am training my weaknesses.

----
Why do I have what it takes?

I don't have any answers that will differ from all the stout, "better" guys before me that failed, but thought THEY had what it takes too. Fortunately, though, "lesser" men than me have succeeded, and that keeps me driven. Being 26, I'm definitely not old, but I'm old enough to have spent a lot of time in life messing up, figuring out the hard way who I am, the things I want to do, and the reasons I want to do them. I think my age is an asset to myself, in that way.

Hey everyone, my name is Aaron.

I’m a 30 year old, married father of two. I have no previous military service. I earned a BA in Political Science back in 2011, but have worked in Behavioral Health (therapy for kids with autism) and public utilities (I work for a major natural gas provider in California as a Field Technician, trying to get into our Distribution department).

I’m currently seeking a Rep-63 Contract through Utah or California (if they offer it). I’ve had a desire to serve for quite a while, but kept following detours along the way. I love our counter, ugliness and all, and I want to give back. I belief in the SF mission and motto, I love the mission set and want to be part of it. I want to help the helpless and teach others how to defend themselves.

I’ve spent most of my life as survivor of hard circumstances and believe I be selected. It won’t be without help and guidance from those who’ve done it before, though, and I’m thankful for opportunities like this site.

Short and to the point. I'm Bruce. For years I was a 18B, 18D. Got to E6 then made a move to pay for grad school and student loans. Hence was commissioned and served another 25+ years before hanging up my beret. There apparently was a book stating that everything the author learned that was valuable in life, he/she learned in kindergarten. I would say to those not having gone through selection yet, that everything that impacted on my survival, I learned in training group. From civilian skirmishes here and in central America to those military "situations" that I came out of OK, keep your damn head on a swivel, keep your ears open and your mouth shut. As someone once said, 'it's better to have people think you're a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt'. Always know what's behind your 6, always. Think 10 steps ahead of your current position and a-n-t-i-c-i-p-a-t-e. Inshallah!

I'm Bonatos. I'm 25 and working towards a REP-63 contract. I feel a strong need to serve, and a similar need to be the best I can be. This is a large part of why SF appeals to me.

I have a bachelor's and a master's degree, and have travelled to many different countries throughout Europe and Asia. I am hoping that my education and life experiences can be assets down the line.

On the physical side, I have been an athlete my entire life. My primary sport is soccer, but I also have several years of wrestling experience and some Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I am currently continuing to play soccer at a moderately competitive level while I train. My training consists of much of what the others here are doing: a lot of running, rucking, some lifting, and more running and rucking.

I'll finish this post off with the top two books I have read so far that are of relevance to those in this group, and from which I have found value:
  • Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
    • Given the existence of a sufficient why, we can bear almost any how.
  • We Die Alone by David Howarth
    • This man should have died probably 10 times throughout the course of his journey, but he kept going. I have trouble imagining a better example of endurance.

Back