Progress Report from Q Course

This is probably the most detailed description of the pipeline for 18D I've yet to read. I understand that the main focus would be on learning to treat acute trauma, but I'm just curious; it seems like some of the subjects are only touched upon very briefly (the writer mentions pediatrics, dental, etc.) Is this because this is deemed to be not as important/less likely to be needed, or will the soldier receive further training in these subjects upon reaching an ODA? I'm wondering what rough percentage of time is spent towards the combat medicine side of things vs skills/knowledge that would be used to help "win the hearts and minds of the people."

Thanks for keeping this thread up to date. It's very eye-opening and informative.

Good questions, trauma is actually the easiest part to teach, and imo learn. Trina is formulaic, particularly if you have a good understanding of anatomy and the physiology of shock states.

Hands on skills aren't particularly difficult individually, however the difficulty mounts with stress and time limits, a Hawkeyes Green Beret,SEAL, or SARC standing over you is also a little stressful...

The bottom line is way more time is devoted to sick call medicine, and other types of stuff because you do way way more of it. An 18D is the first call for his teammates when anyone gets sick, or hurt. Sometimes guys have you go with their family members to the ED, just to make sure everyone gets it right.

Dental is the easiest block. The anatomy isn't crazy and at most we are either pulling teeth or putting in a temporary fix. We aren't dentists. PEDS is for the most part small adults in our view. We aren't doing pediatric dialysis or cancer treatments.

Very informative and interesting thread, thanks! With a son in the pipeline (not D) and as an EMT myself, I found it a fascinating read. I'll definitely be watching for updates.

Thank you for this post! I have been looking for this level of description for a while and have been slowing putting it together from bits and pieces throughout the internet. This brings it all together. I see that you mentioned you have the workout list you used? I was wondering if I could possibly get that from you?

I see that you mentioned you have the workout list you used? I was wondering if I could possibly get that from you?

Not if they are paid workouts. Guys, some of those from the community you want to join, create them which they sell; some are obviously free. The free ones, go for it. The paid workouts? That's theft and this site will not be a party to that.

I still have these workouts if anybody wants them, so just PM me (TLDR20 has my contact info) if you would like to look at them.

Yeah did not mean to step on anyone's toes or ask for paid workouts. I was just going off of what he said which was to PM him if we wanted to take a look.

Last time I read this thread I had not even signed my contract yet. Now that I am actually a 68W I can appreciate just how difficult this must be. Hell I got nervous during hands on training at AIT I cant imagine at this level. What an enlightening read.:thumbsup:

How much of a say do you get in choosing your MOS? Honestly the only one I wouldn't wanna do without a doubt is 18D.
Life came at you so fast that you missed your intro post. Read thru the current intros for an idea of what it should look like.

This must be your next post.

To add....read thru this thread from the start, do you really think your question ends up in this particular thread?

Life came at you so fast that you missed your intro post. Read thru the current intros for an idea of what it should look like.

This must be your next post.

To add....read thru this thread from the start, do you really think your question ends up in this particular thread?

What are you even talking about? Of course I read through the whole thing genius. I wouldn't have even bothered with asking if there was an already an answer posted.

giphy.gif

Does anyone know how to get ahold of this guy to get those workouts he mentioned at the beginning? Since OP is banned.

Back