New Marines won't go home after boot camp as coronavirus precaution, Parris Island says

Looks like the young Leatherneck in the photo just got the good news.

A early lesson in "Embracing The Suck."

At least they get to leave. How much more would it suck to be done and have to sit around with your DIs. You know they'd find stuff to keep you busy. I couldn't wait to get off the island.

Military Brass: Have any recruits died of it yet? If no, then it's not a big deal. /s

Unfortunately boot camp is a feeding ground for illnesses. The Pentagon has four decades been trying for ways to rid it, but when you have over a thousand people living in close quarters it's difficult to keep diseases from spreading.

Military Brass: Have any recruits died of it yet? If no, then it's not a big deal. /s

Unfortunately boot camp is a feeding ground for illnesses. The Pentagon has four decades been trying for ways to rid it, but when you have over a thousand people living in close quarters it's difficult to keep diseases from spreading.
I just posted a tragic story about the AFA. Perhaps the bigger concern eventually becomes how to maintain morale and mental health if required to stay.

I'm curious to know how boot camp/basic, ait/tech school, etc. are addressing things going forward as the virus response evolves (given another post by @Ooh-Rah, maybe they aren't changing anything)

Last edited:
No worries there. A Marine's morale and mental health typically go to shit about 5 minutes after they graduate Boot Camp anyways.

I'm not sure about that. 2 hours in, on I'm a flight, and the first thing I did was go to the bathroom to make sure my junk still worked. Couldn't have done that if I stuck around the depot.

Back