New Member --- Introduction and Request

WYOcowboy

Unverified
I've spent much of my adult life in and around the United States Army. Retired from the uniform in May 1997, Federal civilian employment in March 2006, and contract support in October 2009. It's been a wild ride!

But, I also need your help. As a 1LT, between July 1974 and December 1976, I was officially assigned to Headquarters, US Army Garrison, Okinawa. In December 1974, however, I was verbally ordered and physically transported to support a US Army unit located at Nakhon Phanom Royal Thai Air Force Base or simply "NKP" in northeastern Thailand. That unit I now believe was the US Army Element, US Support Activity Group/7th Air Force (a successor to MACV's Studies and Observation Group and Special Technical Detachment Assistance Team-158) which conducted missions and operations in Cambodia, Laos, as well as North and South Vietnam. I remained in Thailand and returned to Okinawa in May 1976 even though 7 AF, its subordinate detachments, and all of its operating locations were inactivated on 30 June 1975. The unit data record card for the US Army Element, US Support Activity Group/7th Air Force indicates the unit was in existence through at least 9 July 1976.

The US Support Activity Group was a provisional unit and did not leave a paper trail to document its existence. The PACAF order inactivating HQ 7 Air Force directed the reassignment of personnel in accordance with special instructions furnished by CINCPACAF/DP (hence, my remaining in Thailand until May 1976) and the disposition of organizational records per AFM 12-50. The only "paper trail" I can find are unit histories. None of my records (i.e., field 201 file, OMPF, medical, dental, or finance) document my presence in Thailand or combat service in Cambodia, Laos, North and South Vietnam. Ditto for buddy statements, photographs, awards, decorations, OERs, and the like.

In order to prove to VA that my PTSD was the result of combat service and that my type II diabetes was the result of exposure to Agent Orange, I need conclusive proof. Can anyone out there help me?

Welcome to SS.

If you retired from the US Military, you are entitled to health care at Military Medical facilities, as well as the VA. If you carry a diagnosis of PTSD, and type II Diabetes, that is what you will be treated for; as well any other medical need. Etiology is important as a function of medical history. Are you being denied treatment by the VA?

RF 1

So your personal file is blank during the period in question?

Have you contacted the Army and DoD?

Hey Guys!

Appreciate the welcome and your comments!

No, I'm not being denied treatment by VA. Yes, I've contacted the Army as well as DoD. My objective is to amend my claim for VA disability benefits and hopefully see it increased from its present 40% to 100%.

Charley

In order to prove to VA that my PTSD was the result of combat service and that my type II diabetes was the result of exposure to Agent Orange, I need conclusive proof. Can anyone out there help me?

If you have no offical documents (i.e. orders, 201, DD214, memo's, etc) from that time period you will have a really hard time showing proof to the VA. You will more than likely need to go through the Army (HRC) to recover any documents they may have. Also any awards from that time period would help as well (i.e. Purple Heart, Combat Infantryman Badge, Combat USSI, or any deployment awards recived).

You can file appeals and request hearings for just about any issue you want to, however, at the end of it you will need something documenting that you in fact suffered from PTSD and exposure to Agent Orange, due to combat service, while assigned in S/E Asia.

Welcome to SS and thank you for your service.

File a request under the Freedom of Information Act. The events occurred more than 25 years ago, so they should be de-classified by now.

Back