NEW P.A.S.T STANDARDS FOR PARARESCUE

txpj007

Pararescue
Verified SOF
Meant to put this on here a little while ago.

Previous 1.5mi run 10:22 NEW 9:47
6 Pull ups NEW 10
45 sit ups NEW 54
45 push ups NEW 52
500m swim 11:30 NEW 10:07

I took a few months off of doing pull ups this summer, went to a concert where the Marines had that pull up bar set up and did 16. I would think with as active as they are during basic, they could definitely do at least 10?

I don't know if the AF does but we did them in infantry basic. Never for a grade. We had to do them in SOPC but I think it was 7 to pass. SFAS we did them as well but I never knew what the standard was. 10 seems like a lot. I guess they need better guys starting the pipeline though. Good stuff.

I took a few months off of doing pull ups this summer, went to a concert where the Marines had that pull up bar set up and did 16. I would think with as active as they are during basic, they could definitely do at least 10?

I don't know. When I was in Basic I could easily knock out 20 going into the FTX, not doing them for a few weeks then doing them in Airborne I was definitely a lot weaker. AF basic is also not infantry AIT, so I do not know. I know I hate pullups now. But they are a definite indicator of total body strength in my eyes.

Love me some pull ups. The order that you listed the exercises, is that the order they are proctored? I remember when doing the navy pst for their specwar program, they did swim-push-sit-pullups-run. The run was a bitch at the end.

I have a good friend currently int he Pararescue Pipeline, he's currently at MFF in San Diego. I remember him saying something about them allowing SOF candidates doing pullups during basic but that his PT dropped drastically during BMT. From what I remember the first 3 weeks at INDOC weren't "graded" from a eval standpoint, so those that were out were DOR or injury. So I guess you have time to get them back up? But I think there is a PAST test directly after basic so that's gotta be tough.

Those are very quick run and swim times! The run especially. I never had a PST run under 10 mins. I've never done 1.5 miles under 10 mins, EVER. For the swim, can you use any stroke you want or is it CSS/some variation?

I've never been to basic so I don't know how plausible this is, but is there a way to do inverted pull ups on the racks/bunk beds/whatever they're called? It's no "legitimate" pull up but better than not doing them?

I've been able to do at least 10 dead hangs since I was 13. I'd be interested to know the details on the swim, though.

I've never been to basic so I don't know how plausible this is, but is there a way to do inverted pull ups on the racks/bunk beds/whatever they're called? It's no "legitimate" pull up but better than not doing them?

Not really. There were, however, pipes running through our drying room that may or may not have been used for pull ups after taps...

AF Basic now includes Pull-ups.
AF has run BA Centric Basic Training Flights for PJ's CCT,SOWT and TACP Candidates. They get extra PT in an effort to keep them in better shape for the pipeline. My son's 1st run through basic was in a SOF Flight (and no, he was not a BA Candidate)

Those are very quick run and swim times! The run especially. I never had a PST run under 10 mins. I've never done 1.5 miles under 10 mins, EVER. For the swim, can you use any stroke you want or is it CSS/some variation?
According to specialtactics: A11.1.2. 500 Meter Surface Swim (max. time limit 14 minutes) (PJ - 11 minutes 30 seconds): This swim is conducted using the freestyle, breaststroke or sidestroke. The swim is continuous (non-stop). If a member stops any time during the swim, the test will be stopped and considered a failure for the entire PAST. Swimsuit and goggles/scuba mask are the only equipment items allowed. After completion of the swim, allow a 30-minute rest prior to the next event.

Old time standard but the info is there. http://www.specialtactics.com/past.shtml

That's good they are included. When I went through OSUT we didn't do them, but I knew I had to do them in RIP so I did them when I could there.

AF Basic now includes Pull-ups.
AF has run BA Centric Basic Training Flights for PJ's CCT,SOWT and TACP Candidates. They get extra PT in an effort to keep them in better shape for the pipeline. My son's 1st run through basic was in a SOF Flight (and no, he was not a BA Candidate)

They did the same thing for us in boot camp. All 8xx divisions are for SPECWAR/SPECOP candidates. Only sad part is, we realized how much of a joke the extra PT is once we got to the left coast. Granted, it's better than completely losing all your conditioning, but not anywhere near comparable to what we experienced even during AI in Coronado.

To give this discussion some realistic perspective the Pararescue applicant doesn't even get processed by thye Air Force Recruiting Service to report to Air Force Basic Military Training without demonstrating twice the abillity to meet or exceed the PAST standard. There is additional fitness training made available to the BMT Pararescue recuit applicant during BMT.

They did the same thing for us in boot camp. All 8xx divisions are for SPECWAR/SPECOP candidates. Only sad part is, we realized how much of a joke the extra PT is once we got to the left coast. Granted, it's better than completely losing all your conditioning, but not anywhere near comparable to what we experienced even during AI in Coronado.

That's good they are included. When I went through OSUT we didn't do them, but I knew I had to do them in RIP so I did them when I could there.

I know there are a few companies that go through Sand Hill that are all 18X or 11X OPT 40. The cycle ahead of mine was all 18X or Opt 40. I think out of that company of all X-rays maybe 15 got their tabs. They put them all together like that but don't treat them any differently.

These standards go into effect January 2012. Its all about getting a better candidate in the door. With the old standards guys who were just meeting the minimums where having a tough time meeting the graduation standards. i.e. someone who could barely do 6 pullups had a tough time of meeting the exit standard of 13.

Those are the standards my recruiter gave me, went to the store the next day and got a pull up bar for the door to my room. Quick question for anyone in the know. When doing the underwater swim portion of the test is it down the length of the pool, then come up for a quick breath and go back? Because I have also heard that you get a 3 min break and not just a quick breath. That seems a little long so I wasnt sure if it is accurate.

Back