New Pistol: Get a collectable or not?

K

Kurt V

I really like the old Walther P38's and the somewhat newer P1. I can get a decent shooter in the $350-$500 range. I like the idea of having a collectable shooter as opposed to a generic 9mm. Anyone else here have a collectable that they also use for target practice?

P38:

P38WW2.jpg

P1:

p1bundesw.jpg

I really like the old Walther P38's and the somewhat newer P1. I can get a decent shooter in the $350-$500 range. I like the idea of having a collectable shooter as opposed to a generic 9mm. Anyone else here have a collectable that they also use for target practice?

P38:

P38WW2.jpg

P1:

p1bundesw.jpg

are you worried about showing up with just a 22}:-)

are you worried about showing up with just a 22}:-)

Not at all. I get a kick out of shooting my Ruger .22. I actually got it because of some snakes that couldn't take a hint to leave the yard. .22 snake shot is a good persuader.

It also came with a .22 magnum cylinder. Those rounds have some pretty amazing knock down power. But for just plain old plinking at targets nothing beats shooting .22 long rounds. Can still by a brick of 500 rounds for around $35.00

A P38 or P1 is a very reliable pistol for shooting.

Not at all. I get a kick out of shooting my Ruger .22. I actually got it because of some snakes that couldn't take a hint to leave the yard. .22 snake shot is a good persuader.

It also came with a .22 magnum cylinder. Those rounds have some pretty amazing knock down power. But for just plain old plinking at targets nothing beats shooting .22 long rounds. Can still by a brick of 500 rounds for around $35.00

A P38 or P1 is a very reliable pistol for shooting.

I'm with ya, in fact I'm getting a walther(?) and a nice silencer to have some fun}:-) you are 100% right on the price for target shooting, I know I will have a sore finger}:-)

Kurt, my boss his brother and father all brought P-38s, I worked out how to strip them for them then took one out to the range.
It shot very well, accurate, fun, just nice to use.
Their P-38s are in excellent condition,I can personally reccemend one.
If I had a pistol permit I'd get one myself.

Had a good one for a while. In too good of shape to shoot. Had all the right markings. Remember it to have a very long and heavy double action pull. Thats the only reason I didnt like it. Its a sexy pistol and made to last a lifetime.

Had a good one for a while. In too good of shape to shoot. Had all the right markings. Remember it to have a very long and heavy double action pull. Thats the only reason I didnt like it. Its a sexy pistol and made to last a lifetime.

I've fired a few. I agree that the WWII era P38's are now getting too valuable to shoot. But they made millions of post war P1's and you can still find them in like new condition. Those are the ones I am looking at.

I say go for it. You get both the look of a older weapon with the fun of shooting it all the time and not worrying that your loosing value on a collector piece. Plus the Man From Uncle, Napoleon Solo had one!!!!!!!!

Back