New Scroll

I've heard it from a reliable source that your 'reliable source' is 'the other site'.

Why the veil of secrecy? :huh?:

There is no VEIL of secrecy,Shit its on 3 sites that I know of,and I've been trying to Get some other info About the Regiment ,To that is what I was referring.Cripes was that even Worth Posting,or are you implying I'm trying to be a secret squirrel?

Special Troops Bn's are basically in all units now. Do they still require those folks in the CS/CSS MOS's to complete RIP prior to being assigned to the Regiment? They are not going to lower the standards for those soldiers will they?

You have to complete RIP/ROP to wear the Tan beret, that is the only way, Tab doesn't matter. If you go through Range school, you wear the Tab, not the headgear unless you are with the 75th. My understanding is the support unit wears the maroon beret.

You can be a "shooter" and not have a tab. You can be support and have that Tab. You can be anywhere in the Army and wear the Tab, as long as you've passed Ranger school, which just shares a name with the unit.

I'm sure one of the guys will be along to expand/correct anything I have wrong.

Ranger school is a leadership school now open to all males regardless of MOS. The Ranger tab and G/V identifier are authorized after completion. As is, all personnel in RGT are required to go through either RIP or ROP depending on rank when entering RGT. The tan beret and scroll is authorized for wear after completion of either.

Paraphrased piecemeal from what I know and the Army Times. Hope that helps.

As Mav and RLK stated, the tab has nothing to do with any distinguishment in Regiment. When I was in, even the majority of our cooks had their tab.

That' s why I have always wished they would change the name of the course. The only thing that Ranger School is really used for in the Regt, is a spring board for promotion. It really has nothing to do with being a Ranger in the Regt. A Spec 4 with a tab, isn't necessarily a more/better Ranger serving in the Regt. It just means he got his shot first.

Back in my day, it took almost two yrs for a squared away private to get his shot at the school. That's why I detest/hate the 'tabless bitch' comment.

Way back in the day when we patrolled all over Stewart,Ranger School was certainly applicable.
I always looked at the school as a rite of passage for Batt and I think it still is.
The Battalion or Regiment has always had a love/hate relationship with the schoolhouse.Regiment should control it but that will never happen.

As was stated earlier,support guys have to do RIP/ROP and will wear the Tan Beret.I think the STB concept is going to be good for Regiment.

jds

So Eyes... You're basically saying this tabless bitch with 6 years in regiment and awarded combat scrolls and CIB's 3 times over isn't a Ranger?

*Patiently awaiting reply with windage and elevation adjustments already applied to scope*

:)

Eyes said:
I thought the Tab earned and wore above the scroll was what was used to distinguish the difference from the shooters and the support guys? I dunno, I never served in the 75th but I think the new STB scroll sounds like a good idea to me now that I've been clued in a little.

The tab has no bearing on who is a shooter. In my time, most of the shooters didn't have a tab. When I got to batt, only my squad leader had a tab. Tab or no tab, you still have a job to do.

We had several NCO's come through Bco with tabs. They got it while serving somewhere else. They were fucked up like a soup sandwich. The tab DOES NOT make the Ranger.

You could be a mechanic in a leg unit and get the tab.:2c: (no offence intended)

So Eyes... You're basically saying this tabless bitch with 6 years in regiment and awarded combat scrolls and CIB's 3 times over isn't a Ranger?

LOL, no tab what a pussy! ;)

But seriously, I have to laugh at this whole no tab = bitch etc... mentality.

The previous two posters are combat vets, which to me is WAAY more of a rite of passage than ANY school :2c:

After all what is a school for? to prepare soldiers for war!

OK,This went way overboard. Wasn't this just about the new Scroll for the Special Troops Battalion?

To sum this up,
Is this the new Scroll------Yes
Does this distinguish Shooters and Support--------Yes,and no.Mainly Yes
Does RRC wear the new Scroll-------Yes
Is this on other Boards--------Yes
Do they go through Rip,short answer------Yes
Do they wear the Tan Beret-----No
Does a Tab Distinguish a Shooter or a non Shooter----No

Medic Chick & RLK spot on with your Posts. Rangerpsych & Luna, Eyes was not calling any one a Tabless Bitch. Paradus,I agree that Combat is a Better Rite of Passage,But getting a Tab in Batt is one also.In Most all Cases a Tab is Required for a Leadership Position in a Line Company in Regt, not in Support Roles, It is a Requirement to even tryout for RRC.

I think the Regiment places a lot of emphasis on the tab because Ranger School is usually the first formal school you go through when you enter battalion, and 99% of the time they wouldnt send you to any other until you completed it. I think its a gut check more than anything, a gut check that does require some luck lol. I remember yelling about "how gay this fucking school is" when I spent over 6 months there. I got my first no go because my 1SL put the claymore outside of our PB....facing our PB.... So shit like that (where you would normally be able to trust your SL in real life) gets you the bad marks, since Ranger School has attendees from all walks of life, which I would not trust my life with! Ranger School teaches you a totally different type of leadership, ie Micro-mangement at its finest, and the only way to operate successfully in Ranger Schoolis to be a complete dick head! I had a class full of IOBC dudes, and I was walking around the PB one night giving boots to all the people that were sleeping. "hey fuck you asshole" "hey fuck you too, Ill be sleeping soundly when youre up for a graded position mother fucker!" That leadership style did not fit in the same way when I returned to batt. What I took from the course is that it was simply a gut check, where you walked lots of miles with next to no sleep and next to no food. Now luckily I finally got my shit in after 6 months there, but I probably would have stayed there for at least a year, because I didnt want to have to put up with the assclowns back in Battalion. I was sent to school a few months after I got out of RIP, so I was a PV2, and I pissed off a lot of people that I bypassed who were waiting to go for much longer....so best believe I wasn't coming home to the wolves den without it!! Probably would have been a good idea to send me later so I was more familiar with the basics but liek they say adapt and overcome. Bottom line is it's one of those schools where you should find something that you can take from it, but luck will always play a big part of it unless you could get your head to spin around 360 degrees lol. Allow me this last moment to flip off guys like Cope who went straight through. ;)

Well said Boondock.
Gut check most definately.

RIP has always been the "Gate" , you earned the Beret,Scroll,and Title.
Whether you were a support guy going to HHC or an 11B going to the line.
It didn't matter you were a Ranger.That is one of the things(certainly not the only)that made the 75th different.
The hard part was living the Creed and the lifestyle everyday!
Ranger school allowed you to go to another level.

I guess there was a reason someone started the phrase "Tabs a school,Scrolls a way of life".

jds

Back