New TV Series

Thanks guys, these are all great ideas! Col. Rowes Story is outstanding! Why isn't that a movie already? While I'd love us to make that unfortunately our brief, would be the last 30 years or so at latest 1979 really. But I really appreciate these suggestions and if at all possible I'd love to hear more.

Many Thanks,

Will

Pardus probably knows more about this than I do, but there is an 'urban myth' about an SAS partol that had to get out of Argentina during the Falklands conflict. I remember that they mentioned in during a docu about the history of the 22nd SAS - really good show, it started with op. Nimrod, then N. Africa and so on....

You should broaden your search to include all the cowards that made their daring escapes into Canada during Vietnam. I would like to see some of those shitheads get the "recognition" they truly deserve.

Really the only good one that I can think of in modern times right now is Chris Ryan of 22 SAS during the Gulf War in 1991.

Beware though a lot of things he wrote about are in VERY serious doubt within the community.

What is not in doubt however is that he walked about 200 miles through enemy territory to escape a mission that went horribly wrong.

Out of the other 7 members of the patrol, 3 died/were killed, the rest captured.

His book is here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0D3934TV8JYGZ7JHAD9J

There's only a few pages regarding "escapees" who clawed their way through the jungle to eventual freedom, but in Bernard B. Fall's book "Hell In A Very Small Place" - which documents the debacle of the French at Dien Bien Phu, there's some information about the few who succeeded out of the 78 who were able to initially escape capture by the Viet-Minh. Some traveled 150 Kilometers while others covered 200 Kilometers through dense Jungle. A wide variety of methods were used and some of those successful had neither prior E&E or jungle survival training.

There's only a few pages regarding "escapees" who clawed their way through the jungle to eventual freedom, but in Bernard B. Fall's book "Hell In A Very Small Place" - which documents the debacle of the French at Dien Bien Phu, there's some information about the few who succeeded out of the 78 who were able to initially escape capture by the Viet-Minh. Some traveled 150 Kilometers while others covered 200 Kilometers through dense Jungle. A wide variety of methods were used and some of those successful had neither prior E&E or jungle survival training.

I need to re read that book.
A fascinating and hugely important battle.

Not taking away any of the other nominations, but for a man wounded 14 times in 5 tours of combat, the only soldier ever to be nominated 3 times for the MOH, recipient of 2 DSC's, and 8 PH's, is a unique story in survival, determination and tenacity. He is one of the most highly decorated military veterans ever.

If there ever was a model SOF Soldier/Officer and leader, he would be it.

He is currently in his last days suffering from inoperable pancreatic cancer.

Bionic Bob

Pardus probably knows more about this than I do, but there is an 'urban myth' about an SAS partol that had to get out of Argentina during the Falklands conflict. I remember that they mentioned in during a docu about the history of the 22nd SAS - really good show, it started with op. Nimrod, then N. Africa and so on....

Try Ghost Force by Ken Connor. There's an account of it in there somewhere, no urban myth. A good read by a BTDT. Incidentally, it was written pre 9/11 and the last chapter is chilling.

http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/MP-39081/Ghost-Force:-The-Secret-History-Of-The-SAS.htm

Fuck ya QC I just ordered that and another 3 books. lol

Picked up a first edition copy of "Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph"
T.E. Lawrence :cool:

Back