News Flash!! The Haqqani Network Just Might Be a Terrorist Organization!

I agree with Lindy. They're a local insurgent group operating in their own state. Foreign sanctuary and funding notwithstanding they are a very local group and have no wider aspirations outside of Afghanistan. Ergo they're not a terrorist group but rather than insurgent one because of the lack of true global (or even regional) operational capacity.

Actually HQN is backed by ISI, Muslim Brotherhood and the Afghani Taliban... China has been backing Pakistan also, so indirectly the Chinese are backing HQN ...and there is an Indonesian arm of HQN tied to the Indonesian Taliban and Muslim Brotherhood. all of which are globally funded through 'donations' and shell businesses in various parts of the world. There are sub Saharan arms of all 3 noted organizations tied to the local tribal conflicts in the pan African conflicts promulgated by the Soviets/Chinese backing the Islamic insurgents.

A mod/admin may edit/delete/redact as needed if any of this is not for public consumption.

A mod/admin may edit/delete/redact as needed if any of this is not for public consumption.

You used the term "insurgents" which I think is considered to be racist or culturally insensitve or something. I'm sure there's a rule of thumb I could apply, but I'm hungry. So, if another staff member could hold down the fort I'll go to chow and if I'm lucky I'll be in high cotton thanks to tonight's menu.

I agree with Lindy. They're a local insurgent group operating in their own state. Foreign sanctuary and funding notwithstanding they are a very local group and have no wider aspirations outside of Afghanistan. Ergo they're not a terrorist group but rather than insurgent one because of the lack of true global (or even regional) operational capacity.

A "local" insurgent group? By what definition? I demonstrated in my earlier posts that the HQN meets almost every stipulation of what makes something a terrorist group (any one of which is sufficient by itself), we all agree that they use terrorist tactics in support of a political goal, and I proved that individually their leaders are already designated terrorists. We could have an argument over what "type" of terrorist group they are (national, transnational, international) but that is semantics compared to whether or not they are an insurgent group or a terrorist organization.

A "local" insurgent group? By what definition? I demonstrated in my earlier posts that the HQN meets almost every stipulation of what makes something a terrorist group (any one of which is sufficient by itself), we all agree that they use terrorist tactics in support of a political goal, and I proved that individually their leaders are already designated terrorists. We could have an argument over what "type" of terrorist group they are (national, transnational, international) but that is semantics compared to whether or not they are an insurgent group or a terrorist organization.

Well...it looks like I get to find out first hand.

Well...it looks like I get to find out first hand.

If you're going to be in eastern Afghanistan, I'm sure you will ;)

In other news...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/w...isting-militant-organization.html?_r=1&emc=na

The Obama administration has decided to blacklist as a terrorist organization the Haqqani network, the militant organization responsible for some of the deadliest attacks against American troops in Afghanistan, several American officials said late Thursday.

It's a good thing the HQN isn't a terrorist network, otherwise our hostage that they're holding might be in greater danger right now, what with them being on "The List" and all.

Oh, wait...

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...st-designation-adds-to-captured-gis-woes?lite

Senior members of the Haqqani network said that the United States' designation of the militant group as terrorists could endanger the life of an American soldier thought to be in their custody and jeopardize peace talks.
"The Obama administration and U.S. military commanders know that their soldier Bowe Bergdahl is in our possession," a Haqqani commander told NBC News in a telephone interview from an undisclosed location on Friday. "He is in our custody, but his government failed to make any sincere effort for his release, and now this new development could add to his woes."

Was stuck at the car dealership today watching CNN.
"And now, a report on why the Haqqani Network may be a dangerous terrorist threat."
I about came out of my chair. I haven't yelled at a television in public, well, ever.
Me: "May be? You must be joking! Everyone knows those bastards are terrorists. Free preaches it every freakin' day! Mara started a thread on how stupid the news is on this issue. WTF!"
20 yr old: "Mom, calm down. You're scaring people."

I was hoping this thread would pop-up again.

http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=15558

Statement by George Little on the Haqqani Network

Acting Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs George Little provided the following statement:
"We welcome Secretary Clinton's announcement that the Haqqani Network meets the statutory criteria for designation as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO), and as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist entity under Executive Order 13224.
The Haqqani Network represents a significant threat to U.S. national security and we will continue our aggressive military action against this threat. These new group designations will build on our efforts to degrade the Network's capacity to carry out attacks, including affecting fundraising abilities, targeting them with our military and intelligence resources, and pressing Pakistan to take action. We will continue these efforts, reinforced by today's new designations. By strengthening our whole-of-government approach against the Haqqanis, we are supporting our campaign efforts in Afghanistan and further limiting the organization's capacity to destabilize the region."

I think this also means we can target them wherever they are, kind of like AQ. We can also go after their finances, facilitators, and the people who are sponsoring them.

I had a think about all this, Maruarau, and I think we're both pretty entrenched in our view and the argument will boil down to an exercise in definitions and logically extending to semantics over said definitions.

I had a think about all this, Maruarau, and I think we're both pretty entrenched in our view and the argument will boil down to an exercise in definitions and logically extending to semantics over said definitions.

Probably so, it happens sometimes.

So, what you're saying is that you're an "irreconcilable." Hmm.... ;)

What's tragic is that we have to label them as anything other than "Motherfuckers who need to be dead" IOT go after their finances and support structure. We didn't wake up one morning and find these guys wrapping our homes in toilet paper, these are known bad guys and we're in this Global Contingency Operation on Really Bad People or something, so going after this group shouldn't require a declaration of anything other than "They are killing our peeps."

Probably so, it happens sometimes.

So, what you're saying is that you're an "irreconcilable." Hmm.... ;)

LOL, bastard. :p

Nah I just think we're looking at the same thing from different angles. We both think they're cunts, after all. I do think definitions are important, overuse of a definition can lead to misuse IMO.

Back