NIcaragua up in flames again. Ortega bloodbath ignored this time.

peregrino_nica

Unverified
Googled Genral Singlaub. Good man but 97 years old . Ollie not taking emails. Only thing they are asking as they start from scratch is return the weapons turned in in 1990. Verbal condemnations and cute irrelevant actions like Magnitsky act don't do shit to a bloody handed punk like Ortega. Armed to the teeth by Russia, Cuba, Venezuela and Iran and 3 hour flight from Miami and once again US not doing shit.
Nicaragua Dispatch Twitter

OK I'll bite. What, exactly, is the US supposed to do? I followed the link you posted. Its said the following:

Nicaragua's death toll since April 18 jumps to 351, with 2,100 injuries, 329 kidnappings by paramilitaries, 68 cases of torture, 261 people disappeared & still missing. Leading causes of death: 289 (firearms); 10 (burned); 5 (machete); 5 (knife); 4 (rocks); 2 (morteros) —#ANPDH

351 deaths since April 18. That was almost three months ago. According to the New York Times, 96 Americans *a day* die by gun violence here in the US. So in the last three months, when Nicaragua lost 351 people, the US lost more than 8,000. And that's just to gun violence.

Let Nicaragua fix their own shit.

OK I'll bite. What, exactly, is the US supposed to do? I followed the link you posted. Its said the following:

351 deaths since April 18. That was almost three months ago. According to the New York Times, 96 Americans *a day* die by gun violence here in the US. So in the last three months, when Nicaragua lost 351 people, the US lost more than 8,000. And that's just to gun violence.

Military intervention is option #1. 2,000 national police, 1,000 untrained thugs, 15,000 army. Helicopters but no planes. Unarmed Nicaraguan people 95% of whom hate Ortega would support actively. Reason would be not just humanitarian but Ortega has created a staging point for Iran, Cuba and Russia, and before that believe it or not for Libya on our doorstep. Can't imagine would take more than a week to clean house.

Option #2 is do what veteran organizations did in 80s and support the arming of Nicaraguan people via private sources.

Gun violence is tragic in U.S. but not all of those killed were killed fighting unarmed for the same democratic, Christian principals that our founding fathers died for. And most or all of them had access to weapons thanks to our 2nd ammendment UNLIKE the Nicaraguan people.

Just posting this in case any sympathetic ears. In our case it's a free country.

Military intervention is option #1. 2,000 national police, 1,000 untrained thugs, 15,000 army. Helicopters but no planes. Unarmed Nicaraguan people 95% of whom hate Ortega would support actively. Reason would be not just humanitarian but Ortega has created a staging point for Iran, Cuba and Russia, and before that believe it or not for Libya on our doorstep. Can't imagine would take more than a week to clean house.

Option #2 is do what veteran organizations did in 80s and support the arming of Nicaraguan people via private sources.

Gun violence is tragic in U.S. but not all of those killed were killed fighting unarmed for the same democratic, Christian principals that our founding fathers died for. And most or all of them had access to weapons thanks to our 2nd ammendment UNLIKE the Nicaraguan people.

Just posting this in case any sympathetic ears. In our case it's a free country.

No thank you. I'm tired of fighting other peoples' civil wars. I've seen how that movie ends. Twice. And if I'm not mistaken, we tried that in Nicaragua as well.

It "took a week" for us to defeat Iraq and it we've been there ever since. Same thing with Afghanistan.

You're right; it is a free country. So no one is stopping you, or anyone else, from buying legal guns here in the US and making your way south to Nicaragua.

Intervening militarily in Nicaragua is not in our national interests right now, and until it is, I'm quite happy for us to not be involved.

Agree. By the way, the majority wanted Ortega in the 1980s (ie Iran-Contra.) So, it's their problem.
Majority did NOT want Ortega in 1980s. Ortega was installed by the Cubans. That's why he was conscipting by force and lost by a landslide in internationally monitored 1990 elections. It is also why he blocked any truth commissions following the 80s war. The difference now is the atrocities are happening in the cities and now everyone has cell phone and social media. Bush and Arias let Ortega retain control of army, national police and all the money which is how we ultimately got to this latest blood batch. Turnover in Nicaragua; NICARAGUAN OPPOSITION ROUTS SANDINISTAS; U.S. PLEDGES AID, TIED TO ORDERLY TURNOVER

Chicago is way more violent...and that is in our yard....

Nah...let's let some countries take care of their own problems for a while!

Correct. He wins every election by a landslide when he counts the vote. Sheesh. Opinion | In Nicaragua, a Blatantly Rigged Election

I can't read the article because I've exhausted my free articles in the NYT for this month and I refuse to pay for a subscription. But it appears the articles references the recent elections. The discussion we're having is about the election in the 1980s.

Lie: The Sandinistas Won’t Submit to Free Elections

Yet according to the vast majority of independent observers, the 1984 elections were perhaps the freest and fairest in Nicaraguan history. A report by an Irish parliamentary delegation stated: “The electoral process was carried out with total integrity. The seven parties participating in the elections represented a broad spectrum of political ideologies.” The general counsel of New York’s Human Rights Commission described the election as “free, fair and hotly contested.” A study by the U.S. Latin American Studies Association (LASA) concluded that the FSLN (Sandinista Front) “did little more to take advantage of its incumbency than incumbent parties everywhere (including the U.S.) routinely do.”

I can't read the article because I've exhausted my free articles in the NYT for this month and I refuse to pay for a subscription. But it appears the articles references the recent elections. The discussion we're having is about the election in the 1980s.

Lie: The Sandinistas Won’t Submit to Free Elections

If you right-click the link and open in a private or incognito tab (depending on your browser of choice) you can read the article.

I've always been fascinated with Iran- Contra and the Nicaraguan revolution. I served in that era and remember the stir vividly. So naturally I want to know more, but I'm having a hard time understanding exactly who is currently protesting Ortega. So far, it seems that its mostly pockets of college students, but I've also read several Nicaraguan people mention this odd term they call "fake news":hmm:I'll be paying more attention to these current events.

Ortega has done some unpopular stuff, tries to cut social programs, pensions, etc.he has also, taken a majority in their congress, had laws rewritten to keep him in power, made his wife his vice, etc... standard dictator stuff. People are pushing back, and he has instructed his security forces to eliminate resistance, so people have been killed at protests and the hammer hits the anvil...

I love the America's, South, Centeral and North. And on a personal level, I would love to have some cultural exchange, rub up against their women and kill the bad guys... But I agree with @Marauder06, nothing significant enough to involve our forces, especially with the current world bullshit. I'm sure our super secret ninjas are playing ball in some capacity....

A fair election doesn't mean a good person was elected and it doesn't mean that person's interests (and the country's) align with the US. From the 40's on, that was grounds for some sweet, sweet CIA action....

I love the America's, South, Centeral and North. And on a personal level, I would love to have some cultural exchange, rub up against their women and kill the bad guys... But I agree with @Marauder06, nothing significant enough to involve our forces, especially with the current world bullshit. I'm sure our super secret ninjas are playing ball in some capacity....
We don't fight wars like that anymore homez. Plenty of bad guys for you, but no womenz. ;-)

Chicago is way more violent...and that is in our yard....

Nah...let's let some countries take care of their own problems for a while!
Kinda ironic that the liberal cesspool/paradise known as Chicago, has more violence than a nation run by a tin pot despot. Keep it classy Chicago.:rolleyes:
A fair election doesn't mean a good person was elected and it doesn't mean that person's interests (and the country's) align with the US. From the 40's on, that was grounds for some sweet, sweet CIA action....
Maybe, some sweet CIA action would be a good thing to curb the spread of Chinese influence in Central America. This is just me, but I think it's in our long term interest to keep Chinese multinational businesses out of Central America. Countries like Nicaragua, just seem like they would be easy pickings for the PRC to set roots in.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back