NIcaragua up in flames again. Ortega bloodbath ignored this time.

This will make me look like a dip shit but I believe in being honest. I get a lot of pictures sent to me. Shouldn't have posted that one in the heat of the moment. I can't verify that one is accurate since got it second hand. Doesn't seem to allow me to edit and remove from the post. But plenty of real pics of innocents being killed right now if this one turns out to be not Lovago. My apologies either way. Probably why idiots like me should stay off the web.

I don't think you're an idiot, and I don't think you should stay off the web. I think you have interesting things to say, and even if I disagree with some of them sometimes, doesn't mean you should stop.

This will make me look like a dip shit but I believe in being honest. I get a lot of pictures sent to me. Shouldn't have posted that one in the heat of the moment. I can't verify that one is accurate since got it second hand. Doesn't seem to allow me to edit and remove from the post. But plenty of real pics of innocents being killed right now if this one turns out to be not Lovago. My apologies either way. Probably why idiots like me should stay off the web.

I was by no means trying to be a jerk in my post, just asking questions and offering opinions based on historical facts. I've also seen and have enough pictures to know what oppression from the barrel of a gun looks like.

That said, I respect your opinion, you of all people on this board are invested in this. However, again, there is just not enough information available (open source) to know what the "replacment government" would look like. Hints my questions and offered opinions.

So many hands in the pie. Hezbollah has been active in the Paraguay TBA for years and has moved into Central America laundering money and selling drugs. The Chinese are doing their infrastructure projects in Honduras and want to build the Nicaraguan Canal...but as always with the PRC, any business initiative is inextricably linked with the State. Chavez wanted to be the vanguard of Communism in Latin America and both he and Ortega I think saw themselves as Fidel's successor in that role.

A lot of outside influences, Iran, North Korea, the PRC, Chinese and Russian organized crime, a myriad of official and unofficial, semi-legal and outright criminal players, have used our preoccupation with the ME, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan etc to worm into our backyard.

I doubt we'll come to the rescue in Nicaragua, or anywhere else in the region...even though we are threatened from that quarter. We're focused on the Indo-Pacific, on the PRC proper, on Putin, on Syria, Iran, Afghanistan still and NK...while many of these states have been actively subverting our interests from Mexico southward.

I think any developed country has an obligation out of self interest to promote stability in their immediate region. For us that is the nearer Pacific Islands and some of the ones that straddle Asia/Pacific. That promotion, IMO, should include military or covert action only as an exceptionally last resort and diplomatic measures should be the order of the day. Obviously I'm speaking generally here since each place is different, the situation and players are different and everything is context dependant.

Back