Night Stalker named top Army EO advisor

Ravage

running up that hill
http://news.soc.mil/releases/News Archive/2009/January/090112-02.html

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. (USASOC News Service, Jan. 12, 2009) – A member of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) was recently selected as the Army’s top equal opportunity advisor for 2008.

Sgt. 1st Class Clarence C. “Ren” O’Neal II, of Headquarters and Headquarters Company, was honored with the title during the 11th Annual U.S. Army Equal Opportunity Advisor Training Conference in Champions Gate, Fla., on Dec. 18, 2008.

“The award was very unexpected and very humbling to say the least,” said O’Neal. “The command exhibited confidence in me to allow me this great opportunity to serve Soldiers in a different way when they sent me to Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute at Patricks Air Force Base, Fla.”

He credited his command, U.S. Army Special Operations Command and the 101st Division Equal Opportunity office for supporting his efforts.

Command Sgt. Maj. Jake Elliott, 160th SOAR command sergeant major, personally selected O’Neal to fill the regiment EOA position for his dedication and competence in the EO environment. This selection was unique because the position is coded for a 15P operations NCO and O’Neal is a 15J armament/electrician NCO.

Selection for a job of this nature should not be constrained by a military occupational specialty, Elliott explained. It has to be the right Soldier for the job.

“It is all about educating Soldiers, and Ren has a great capacity in this area,” said Elliott. “I am very pleased with his selection as the Army's EOA of the Year but I am more thrilled that he is my regiment's EOA.”

O’Neal was nominated by USASOC following a board of Soldiers nominated from each major subordinate command and unit. Selection was based on the Soldier’s efforts to improve the unit’s program and training, overall leadership within the unit outside of EO duties, and volunteer work conducted on a military installation or in the civilian community.

There were 14 nominees from across the Army, and the winner was kept secret until the announcement was made at the awards banquet.

In his nomination packet, O’Neal was credited with drastically improving the entire regiment’s equal opportunity training program, including a complete revamp of an online information and training resource on the unit’s internal Web site. He also helped coordinate five ethnic observances at his home installation and performed jump master duties for his unit. In his spare time, O’Neal volunteers within the community and enjoys working with up-and-coming human relations practitioners: America’s youth.

“I want to continue to see that all Soldiers are treated with the dignity and respect that they deserve,” said O’Neal. “As we move into a new era and the U.S. Army transforms, human relations and how we deal with one another, I believe, will be key to our continued success and bridging those gaps that divide.”

O’Neal has 16 years of Army service and has deployed in support of operations Joint Guard, Joint Endeavor, Enduring Freedom-Afghanistan and Iraqi Freedom. He successfully assessed for service with the 160th in 1999 with duties in 3rd Bn. at Hunter Army Airfield, Ga., and was selected to be the regiment’s equal opportunity advisor at Fort Campbell, Ky., in 2007.

29erhp0.jpg

Sgt. 1st Class Clarence C. “Ren” O’Neal, II,, left, of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne), poses for a photo after being named the Army’s top equal opportunity advisor during a banquet on Dec. 18, 2008. (Courtesy photo.)

Back