Night Stalkers honor their fallen

Ravage

running up that hill
http://news.soc.mil/releases/News Archive/2009/May/090521-01.html

FORT CAMPBELL, K.Y. – Night Stalkers, Families and friends gathered yesterday honoring Soldiers who have made the ultimate sacrifice while serving in the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne).

“Today is a day to remember, to honor, to grieve and to thank,” Col. Clayton Hutmacher, commander, 160th SOAR(A), told attendees of the unit’s annual memorial ceremony.

Each year just before Memorial Day, the regiment holds a ceremony honoring the Soldiers who died during the unit’s nearly 28-year history. It is also when newly sketched names into the memorial are unveiled.

“The names on this wall represent a loss for all of us, whether we served with them or loved them,” Hutmacher said. “The lessons we’ve learned from our fallen, their memories and their spirit are with us in everything we do.

So I say to our fallen and their Families: thank you. The Night Stalkers would not be who we are today without your courage, commitment and sacrifice,” he said.

This year the name Pfc. Blaine N. Adams was added to the Night Stalker Memorial. The MH-47 Chinook helicopter repairer with the 4th Bn., 160th SOAR (A), at Ft. Lewis, Wash., died Nov. 29, 2008, at Madigan Army Medical Center following water survival training.

“(Adams) was a highly motivated young man and was well thought of highly respected by the Soldiers he served with,” said Hutmacher. “Like the others who went before him, he too was an example of courage, commitment and sacrifice.”

The 160th also dedicated six Night Stalker work areas at Ft. Campbell in memory of fallen Night Stalkers: Sgt. Thomas F. Allison, Staff Sgt. Kerry W. Frith, Master Sgt. James W. “Tre” Ponder, III, Maj. Stephen C. Reich, Chief Warrant Officer 5 Jamie D. Weeks and Maj. Mathew Wade Worrell.

20p7g5k.jpg

Black Hawks from the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) conduct a flyover in the Missing Man Formation during the unit’s annual memorial ceremony on May 20, 2009, at Ft. Campbell, Ky. (160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment Public Affairs)

1zqvc4m.jpg

Soldiers from the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) unveil a plaque following dedication of the Sgt. Thomas F. Allison Aquatics Training Facility while his mother, Patricia Allison, of Roy, Wash., looks on. Allison died in an overwater helicopter crash February 22, 2002, while deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom-Philippines. The 160th dedicated six Night Stalker work areas at Ft. Campbell, Ky., in memory of fallen Night Stalkers during ceremonies on May 20, 2009. (160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment Public Affairs)

I didn't go to this particular ceremony, but I went to it when I was assigned to the unit. Let me tell you- this is a hell of a well-put-on event. I told my wife that if I were to die on active duty, I wanted it to be in the 160th. They truly embody the "never forget" mantra when it comes to honoring fallen comrades and taking care of their families.

NSDQ

Being able to watch this ceremony since recently assignment to the 160th really brought to reality the dedication and sacrifice given by my fellow Night Stalkers. I very proud to part of the unit and going through Green Platoon was be best decision I have made.

It was a powerful event. There is a point during the ceremony where all of the children of Fallen Night Stalkers come forward and lay flowers and wreaths at the memorial. The age range was from small children to salt and peppered grown adults. I found I had a frog in my throat at that point.

84 heroes are named on that monument. NSDQ.

I served with Blaine Adams. He was in my squad for a little while, on loan from another squad. Hard working kid. I wasn't there that day at the pool. But I wish I had been. Maybe things would have gone differently. It was tough on all of us. Water survival training is dangerous. The loss of two seals recently only highlights this.

I served with Blaine Adams. He was in my squad for a little while, on loan from another squad. Hard working kid. I wasn't there that day at the pool. But I wish I had been. Maybe things would have gone differently. It was tough on all of us. Water survival training is dangerous. The loss of two seals recently only highlights this.

I knew Blaine Adams also. I went to AIT, as well as Green Platoon with him. I hated hearing the news as well.

PFC Blaine Adams is my brother. 1st of all I'd like to thank all of you for honoring him. It's been 8 1/2 yrs since he was taken from us. I do not feel the "shallow water black out" is the actual cause of death. My heart has always said something wasn't right. A psychic told me how he actually died, ( felt lighter, 1st time in 7 yrs )... Which I can only hope that the one who had hand in his death sees this.
I need it known the army admitted negligence. The worst thing someone did was threw a chair in beside my brother to show he was okay, I'm no lifeguard but someone shows an inkling of struggling I'd be in the water... a chair seriously.
The loss of my baby brother has torn my soul beyond repair. My 9 year old son only saw his uncle 3 times in the 1 year they had together before my brother's death. Every time I have a moment of happiness I think of my brother and how he should be here and apart of it. He missed his nephews 1st steps, riding a bike w/o training wheels, school plays and my son lost out in a wonderful young man, uncle and amazing role model.
Please don't get me wrong the military is amazing. I thank you all for your service and sacrifice, your families as well. I just wish the situation was handled differently and maybe my brother would still be here.

Could you please email me **ADMIN EDIT** you stated you knew my brother PFC Blaine Adams. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
@Millissa - you're replying to a thread that's years old asking a guy that hasn't been on the site since 2015 to email you. I edited your email address to protect your privacy; if you wish to discuss matters point to point with members here, may I suggest the PM function.

Back