Nothing to see here...move along now.

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
:wall:

17 Middle Eastern men detained for shooting weapons off in California

Seventeen men of Middle Eastern descent were detained in southern California on Sunday after a concerned citizen called police, saying they spotted the group chanting and firing off more than 100 rounds of ammunition in a remote hiking area.

But the men were let go when police found no evidence of wrong-doing.

The area where the men were detained is located about an hour's drive from where husband-and-wife shooters Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik gunned down 14 people in December in the name of the Islamic State.

Are bullet cases not evidence to them or could they seriously not find any?
Evidence of wrong doing, not evidence of shooting. If the weapons were legal, they were shooting safely and no one was harmed there's not much police can do. Profiling is wrong , remember.:rolleyes:

They did what they were allowed to do under the law. They responded to the complaint, saw no laws were being broken and left.

Last edited:
Evidence of wrong doing, not evidence of shooting. If the weapons were legal, they were shooting safely and no one was harmed there's not much police can do. Profiling is wrong , remember.:rolleyes:
I thought they could be fined for creating a public disturbance, at least

remote hiking area.
You can't have a public disturbance if you are nowhere near the public. Chances are they were all identified while field interview reports were filled out then submitted to the local fusion center for analysis.

Last edited:
You can't have a public disturbance if you are nowhere near the public. Chances are they were all identified a field interview reports were filled out then submitted to the local fusion center for analysis.
I was under the impression that remoteness didn't matter, so I did some searching and unamplified noises from public parks, etc. do not fall under public disturbance laws, so I was wrong anyways.

I was under the impression that remoteness didn't matter, so I did some searching and unamplified noises from public parks, etc. do not fall under public disturbance laws, so I was wrong anyways.
In a press release about the incident, officers also pointed out that people shoot guns in that particular area 'all the time' since it is federal land where recreational shooting is permitted.

I shoot on federal land all the time, here and back in Michigan. The FBI is following up because it was on federal property but that's it.

The criteria for public nuisances and disturbances in many jurisdictions is that someone other than a public official must be the victim/complainant, and sometimes there must be more than one. It varies, but overall the public officials cannot be the ones that are the victim of the nuisance/disturbance. Just FYI

Here's the key sentence.

If they are "sleeper cell" members, I guess, in some ways, they were doing what others do there. Problem is that there are just so many of them that are well armed. Lucky for us that someone complained. I'm glad to hear that they have the FBI looking at them now.

Back