Nutrition

mud_raker24

Unverified
Hello all, From what I've read so far most of the threads regarding nutrition seem to be for people looking to lose weight id appreciate some advice on how to gain weight. I weigh about 135 lbs at 6 feet. I am still growing. By the time I enlist this April I aim to be about 165 lbs and whatever height I may be. I am a solid runner as I run a little slower than 5 1/2 minute miles and since im skinny I do well with body weight exercises such as pull ups, crunches and push ups. Id say the biggest struggles for me would be things like lifting and rucking. (I know that's a whole other thread just wanted to inform people on what I need work on in order to change my diet and workout routine.) With that in mind id appreciate any advice from anyone thanks and happy fourth!

id appreciate some advice on how to gain weight

You could should spend the afternoon reading through the discussions in these threads:
Dieting and Living....
Training question

Or do what I do...eat more pizza and drink more beer.

Id say the biggest struggles for me would be things like lifting and rucking.

You could should spend the weekend reading through the discussions in these threads:
Fitness Milestones & Plans to share
Rucking problems...
Some rucking tweaks
Rubber Duck Alternatives?
Rucking Questions
Alternate Rucking Advice
Rucking problems...
Rucking Gait and Insoles
Ruck programming
A Couple Questions (Rucking & more)
Recommendations for rucking socks?
Rucking
Packing a ruck.

With that in mind id appreciate any advice from anyone thanks and happy fourth!
Use the search function.

Last edited:
You could should spend the afternoon reading through the discussions in these threads:
Dieting and Living....

You could should spend the weekend reading through the discussions in these threads:
Rucking problems...
Some rucking tweaks
Rucking Questions
Alternate Rucking Advice
Rucking problems...
Rucking Gait and Insoles
Ruck programming
Rucking
Packing a ruck.

Use the search function.
Dieting and Living....
Training question

Rucking problems...
Some rucking tweaks
Rucking Questions
Alternate Rucking Advice
Rucking problems...
Rucking Gait and Insoles
Ruck programming
Rucking
Packing a ruck.

Use the search function.

Already on it. Wont be an issue finding pizza in NY. Thanks

Already on it. Wont be an issue finding pizza in NY. Thanks

Obviously I am being a little sarcastic, my only point is that this forum is a treasure trove of discussions and info directly related to what you are seeking. One of the coolest parts of using the Search Function is that you will find threads that go back years, and then cause you to search for something else, just to see if there is more to that topic. Happens to me all the time! ;-)

Update: I weigh 125 lbs I said 135 as a guesstimate with everything in mind is 150 lbs a un-reasonable goal for a year from now?

One can gain quickly by eating high calorie, high fat foods, but this assumes that one is able to gain easily by diet. So it may be possible that way.

FWIW, the fastest I ever gained weight was during ruck training, where muscle builds to adapt, which is heavier than fat by volume.

I was also eating huge amounts of protein, fruits and veg just to keep up with body repair.

YMMV.

Eat more of the things that have the good fat and are high in protein. Eggs, fish, cottage cheese, lean red meat, and more cottage cheese. Heavy weights at lower reps builds muscle while not burning calories as much. Based on your current weight, you will probably have to eat a lot more than you are used to if you want to make quick gains.

Thanks you all high weight low reps sounds like a really good idea for me. I have also started making tremendous changes in my diet. I've started to structure it all a lot more by touching on all the food groups for my meals but also snacking on fattier foods. Thanks again for the advice ill make sure to update.

Update: Thanks for all the advice. Ive changed my diet and have been lifting a ton of high weight low reps and ive noticed changes already I feel stronger my PT scores have improved I will do a fatigued PFT and will weigh myself today. But how much should one exert themselves before a PFT? Thanks again Ill be on here with a update again shortly

Update: Thanks for all the advice. Ive changed my diet and have been lifting a ton of high weight low reps and ive noticed changes already I feel stronger my PT scores have improved I will do a fatigued PFT and will weigh myself today. But how much should one exert themselves before a PFT? Thanks again Ill be on here with a update again shortly

Complete your workout like normal, then transition into your test.

However, if you find yourself completely exhausted after a lifting session (which is generally a good thing), don't attempt to take a test afterwards. "Embracing the suck" is great, but you cannot embrace anything if you're injured. If this is the case, I recommend going for a mile jog, knocking out some push/sit ups, then taking a knee. Wait 2-3 minutes and begin your test. See how you feel and tweak it the next time you want to take a PFT.

Sorry for the late response was tied up with work for a few days. I will be sure to keep that all in mind and be sure to not make myself prone to injury, thanks Kmart.

Back