Optimal physical makeup for SFAS selection?

Loud and Clear

Unverified
Good evening,

Feel free to tell me to fuck off if this has already been previously asked. I went rucking the other day with a 50 pound pack and was able to maintain a 9 minute mile pace with ease. However, I definitely noticed the lower back pain that comes with it. I'm very skinny, standing at 6'2, 150~ give or take. I've looked everywhere for tips on being prepared for selection and they always say to do a bunch of push-ups and pull ups and be used to being under a lot of weight. Got it. My only issue is that I can do push-ups all day and same with pullups but it only helps out with muscular endurance. I look at other dudes going to selection and they're significantly bigger than me but I can easily do just as many push-ups or situps , if not more. Yet my body is more brittle. My question is, is there actually a point where you're 'too skinny' for SFAS or am I overthinking this all? I just don't want to risk something as serious as a permanant back injury.

Find a nutritionist. My middle kid is taller than me. Weighs 150...search me on this board, I am kind a big deal around here. you should be 50 lbs heavier. Eat 5000 calories a day, good shit not crap

I was 5'11" and 165# when I went to SFAS. Your performance is what matters, not what you look like. I will say at your height that weight seems a little low. How are you with squat and deadlift? Your going to have in excess of 200# on your back during team week. You need to be able to handle that much weight or you will be a hindrance to your team. Your grip strength needs to be on point too. Good luck.

I was 5'11" and 165# when I went to SFAS. Your performance is what matters, not what you look like. I will say at your height that weight seems a little low. How are you with squat and deadlift? Your going to have in excess of 200# on your back during team week. You need to be able to handle that much weight or you will be a hindrance to your team. Your grip strength needs to be on point too. Good luck.
Yes sir, I am very thin. I weighed 160 during wrestling season. My highest deadlift was 315 which is laughable. My squat isn't high either. I have chicken legs. I need to stop making excuses and just hit the weights and throw on some pounds. Once I make it through AIT and get to my unit should I just focus on the big 3 lifts and throw push-ups, situps and pullups in there?

Find a nutritionist. My middle kid is taller than me. Weighs 150...search me on this board, I am kind a big deal around here. you should be 50 lbs heavier. Eat 5000 calories a day, good shit not crap
Thank you for taking the time to reply. So I should be shooting for 200? Roger that , I definitely will check you out

So I should be shooting for 200?

You should be shooting for a weight that allows you to be functionally strong, flexible and healthy. While in SF I never broke 185 at 5'8"... at times I was down to 160. If you get too big in garrison and then go out in the bush for an extended period you may create more issues for yourself. Although extended periods in denied areas are not the norm anymore, they may become the norm again.

You should be shooting for a weight that allows you to be functionally strong, flexible and healthy. While in SF I never broke 185 at 5'8"... at times I was down to 160. If you get too big in garrison and then go out in the bush for an extended period you may create more issues for yourself. Although extended periods in denied areas are not the norm anymore, they may become the norm again.
Understood. Thanks for taking time to reply, sir.

Back