NYC paramedic shot by patient in ambulance

Bro, it's wack out here. I'm over it. If it's not entitled Karen's bitching, drunks Punching, it's the streets doing dirt. We try to do good and we get shit on. We're mandated to wear ballistic vests, cops shop up sometimes.

If I could leave EMS, I would, end up with a little shop, making small batch leather goods, wallets, belts, even holsters.

Hopefully you start making money off those gimp masks, to make them full time.

@Muppet I always think of you when I read these stories. Head on a swivel my boy.

In face of increased danger on the job, paramedics send 'plea for help' to leadership

Two blocks away from a gunfight, Dmitriy Stalmakov pulled over and looked at where a bullet had ricocheted off the back of his ambulance. If it had hit 2 inches higher, the 28-year-old paramedic doesn't know if he'd be here to tell the story.

"If it would have pierced the door, it would have went straight into my back," said Stalmakov.

Over the past three years, emergency medical responders in Hennepin County say they've witnessed an unnerving rise in violence that's made the job more dangerous at a time when surging call volumes already are stretching the workforce thin. A week after getting caught in the middle of the shooting in downtown Minneapolis, someone hurled a vodka bottle that shattered on Stalmakov's ambulance windshield as he was racing through south Minneapolis. In the dark, he said, he mistook the thud for a shotgun blast that had just blown through the window.

The sad thing is, these things are not new. They are just making the news now; they used to not. It use to be just another day on the job.

Even not violent shit: we used to park the bus and leave it running. Now the policy (unless a scoop and run where you are literally right beside the patient) is ambo turned off, doors locked, keys in pocket.

@Muppet , get the fuck out of PA and into a nicer state.
Texas has issues in bigger cities ( Houston, Dallas) but San Antonio is still fairly safe for our medics.
So it's not universal.

A coworker of mine left our service to fly for Methodist, he worked PT for the city EMS. I did a couple ride-alongs with him, that is a good service (well, was when I did the ride-alongs. I assume it still is.).

Back