Oh to be young again.....SOCOM wants Soldiers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MADMIKE175

Yes, I am a liberal.
Verified SOF
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/02/ATRecce070214/

How much fun does that sound like!

I especially like this part:

Once selected for the company, members attend a rigorous 29-week operator training course that includes free-fall training, computers, advanced communications, digital photography, photo editing, reconnaissance reporting formats, fieldcraft and stalks, infiltration and exfiltration methods, close-air support, advanced driving techniques, demolitions, tactical man-tracking and advanced medical techniques.

A lot of our LRS guys tried out for them, a few years back.. and only one of them actually made it.. it was pretty tough..

I remember cleaning out their building while I was in RIP. I'm sure that their building is a lot bigger now, and that RIPies are no longer allowed in there.

How much fun does that sound like!
I keep squinting and tensing all my muscles to get myself to be a couple of decades younger, and with a good L4-L5, but it doesn't work. Damn. :mad: :D

I keep squinting and tensing all my muscles to get myself to be a couple of decades younger, and with a good L4-L5, but it doesn't work. Damn. :mad: :D

You have to do it after a few Basil Haydens, that'll work, but only until the morning then you age about 30 yrs :bleh: :doh:

It sounds like they're looking for NCOs with some experience and high standards. The Army needs to do something to offset all the waivers that are being granted for new recruits. They are letting people in right now that would have never gotten in even 5 years ago.

Sounds like an interesting assignment.

You have to do it after a few Basil Haydens, that'll work, but only until the morning then you age about 30 yrs
Think we can try it next week at the link up, Pardus? :D

I remember cleaning out their building while I was in RIP. I'm sure that their building is a lot bigger now, and that RIPies are no longer allowed in there.
Max when did you go to RIP,not calling you out just never Knew?

That is how RRD was, I believe you had to be at least an E6....possibly an E-5

Back in the Stone Age you could go as a Tabed SPC,but you still Had to Try out.I Heard It was Bitch but it was the place to be.

Now,I talked to a Fellow that said you could tryout as NG or Reserve.Not that I'm Ready for that.LOL Baby steps.

That is how RRD was, I believe you had to be at least an E6....possibly an E-5

I very well may be mistaken, but I think when I was in (early 90's) you had to be a E4-P to think about going to selection.

For those that have never been to Battalion, it's difficult to say the least to get there, and even more difficult to stay there. Most don't make it past the 1st year.

Out of the 25+ Rangers that I got to 1st Batt with, only about 7 of us remained after the first year.

So now out of the pool of people who could maintain long enough in Battalion to get to E4P (or E5 whichever it was), you have to go through another selection for RRD (now RRC). The standards were and I'm sure are extremely high. You're talking about the best of Regiment.

And it sounds like now the best of Regiment is opening it's doors to other very highly qualified NCO's....I can only imagine what selection for RRC must be like, certainly not for the faint of heart or mind.

But to those willing and able goes the rewards, I can only imagine the shit they are learning and doing these days. That operator's course sounds shit hot.

As far as Eyes question about SF....it's an interesting one. At first thought I would imagine that there are not many SF'rs out there trying for this, unless they were former Batt guys with a desire to come back. SF and Ranger are two very different cultures....

Maybe some of the younger Rangers on the board can speak more to this, but I would doubt (based only on opinion) that there are many SF'rs going for RRC. Remember also, that SF has their own Recce elements.

Anyway, I've rambled for too long.....this is definitely a dream job...at least to me.

I can only imagine that if LRS were to get rolled into SOCOM, that they would aslo have to go through some type of similiar selection criteria.

I'd have to also believe that if NG or Reserves could tryout, that it would be contigent on going active with RRC for a certain number of years.....could be wrong though....

It said in the article that a candidate had to be airborne and ranger qualified.

Is preference given to those already serving in the Regiment, or is everybody who meets the qualifications given a fair shake in terms of the opportunity to try out?

I very well may be mistaken, but I think when I was in (early 90's) you had to be a E4-P to think about going to selection.

For those that have never been to Battalion, it's difficult to say the least to get there, and even more difficult to stay there. Most don't make it past the 1st year.

Out of the 25+ Rangers that I got to 1st Batt with, only about 7 of us remained after the first year.

So now out of the pool of people who could maintain long enough in Battalion to get to E4P (or E5 whichever it was), you have to go through another selection for RRD (now RRC). The standards were and I'm sure are extremely high. You're talking about the best of Regiment.

And it sounds like now the best of Regiment is opening it's doors to other very highly qualified NCO's....I can only imagine what selection for RRC must be like, certainly not for the faint of heart or mind.

But to those willing and able goes the rewards, I can only imagine the shit they are learning and doing these days. That operator's course sounds shit hot.

As far as Eyes question about SF....it's an interesting one. At first thought I would imagine that there are not many SF'rs out there trying for this, unless they were former Batt guys with a desire to come back. SF and Ranger are two very different cultures....

Maybe some of the younger Rangers on the board can speak more to this, but I would doubt (based only on opinion) that there are many SF'rs going for RRC. Remember also, that SF has their own Recce elements.

Anyway, I've rambled for too long.....this is definitely a dream job...at least to me.

I can only imagine that if LRS were to get rolled into SOCOM, that they would aslo have to go through some type of similiar selection criteria.

Agreed,I wont hold my Breath looking for SF guys to try out(way Different).But
In 86 you could go as a Tabed SPC no (P) needed,I had the Chance but after Being TDY for 6
Months +,and not seeing my little Girl for Months after she was Born(Missed the Birth too)the Ex wasn't going for it.

I knew but Didn't want to admit She (the EX) should of been DX'd then and There.I would bet their Tryouts are on the lines of SFORD.

Mike,Standard's for at least the 151 are the same,no BS.infact I think its Harder Because it's not a every Day type of thing! we do Have a Tryout,and a Probe Period.

It said in the article that a candidate had to be airborne and ranger qualified.

Is preference given to those already serving in the Regiment, or is everybody who meets the qualifications given a fair shake in terms of the opportunity to try out?

In the Old Days,you had to Be in the Regiment First!

Max when did you go to RIP,not calling you out just never Knew?

I originally enlisted with an Option 40 contract. Got a bad case of bronchitis a few days before the PT test while in Pending, and after 5 weeks in Pending I didn't want to wait another 5 so I said I'd give it a shot. Coughing up fist sized globs of green goo out of your lungs is not conducive to a good 2 mile run ;) And the rest, as they say, is history (wouldn't trade my time with the 82nd for anything, but if I had made it, I'm sure I'd say the same about Regiment).

From talking to the guys in RRD when I was on detail (they were all EXTREMELY approachable and very helpful, more on that in a second), their selection is almost the same as another big name unit.

The time spent on detail with RRD was seriously some of the best stuff I had done up to that point. They took the time to sit down with us and actually do what amounted to mentoring, which for someone that had been in the Army all of less than 6 months, was awesome.

One of the guys even told us (as we were cleaning out weapons cases) that he had failed RIP the first time, and now look where he was. Said not to accept failure, but also realize that it never hurts to try. It is a lesson that stuck with me and helped me get the "balls" to put in an application. Following that same advice, I injured my knee pretty bad, but it also opened other doors.

Did any of that make sense? LOL

This is the key to getting an idea of how big it has grown -

Limited officer vacancies include one infantry major position, two infantry captain positions and one position for a chief warrant officer 2 holding MOS 350F (all-source intelligence technician).

I'm really curious now as to how big it is. Back in 2003 it was a small building that they shared with the Regimental commo guys. Headed by a CPT and with one LT as an XO, and then the teams.

Now its got at least one Major, two Captains, and at least one MI CWO.

Wow...

GTG,Thats what I figured along those lines.Your still ok in my Book.not that was an Issue anyway.

Eyes said:
O-4 Major slot vacant..? Needing Qualed senior NCOs..? It honestly sounds like the growth that the LRSU's under the new BfSBs are going through with regards to slots and so forth... Maybe they're "Leading The Way" and the LRSUs are right behind them, I dunno, maybe the MTOW will be the same....

FUCK,I cant Handel this more than once a Month.:doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back