OK ANG MC-12 Squadron Standing up

DA SWO

SOWT
Verified SOF
OK ANG just got their first MC-12. I can't believe Congress ordered the AF to mothball half (?) of the fleet. Lack of vision on the AF and Congress's part (IMO)

Oklahoma Air National Guard unit begins transition to Special Operations Wing with arrival of first MC-12W

7/30/2015 - WILL ROGERS AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE, Okla. -- The Oklahoma Air National Guard's 137th Air Refueling Wing welcomed the arrival of the Air Force MC-12W aircraft here, July 10.

The arrival of the MC-12 marks the return of flying operations to WRANGB for the first time since 2007.

The 137 ARW received the MC-12 based on its manpower, facilities, existing command structure, and strong relationships with local community leaders. The geographical location of the 137th provides a highly conducive flying environment and appropriate training facilities.

"The 137th Air Refueling Wing is very excited to return flying operations back to Will Rogers Air National Guard Base and join Air Force Special Operations Command," said Air Force Col. Devin R. Wooden, 137 ARW commander. "Our last eight years at Tinker Air Force Base and our partnership with the 507th Air Refueling Wing is an honored part of our great history. We proudly flew off of this ramp for 58 years before we left for Tinker and to be a part of the team to bring flying operations back is very satisfying. I feel like everyone is back home."

The MC-12 is a medium-to low-altitude, twin-engine turboprop aircraft. Its primary mission is to provide intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance support directly to ground forces serving overseas.

The partnership between AFSOC and the Air National Guard, and the ability of the ANG to retain members is another reason WRANGB was chosen to house the MC-12. Air National Guard members historically leave units at significantly lower rates than Active Duty units, which will allow Manned Airborne Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance expertise to be retained long-term and become more fully developed. The ANG unit will be able to retain critical expertise by recruiting and retaining those members who are planning to separate from active duty.

"I am personally very happy to be back at the base at which I began my military career," said Air Force Lt. Col. Justin Walker, 185th Air Refueling Squadron commander. "I am also very excited about the addition of new tactical Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance aircrew members to the squadron.

The basing of the MC-12 is a significant moment for the 137 ARW as they transition to an Air Force Special Operations Wing. As a part of AFSOC, the wing will provide highly-trained Air Commandos to execute global special operations missions.

As part of the first Air National Guard/Air Force Reserve partnership, the 137 ARW has been functioning as a geographically separated base with KC-135 Stratotanker flight operations at Tinker Air Force Base and support operations at WRANGB. This partnership was the result of the last major Base Relocation and Closure commission that threatened the 137th with permanent closure.

"The squadron, and ultimately the wing are poised for complete mission success due to the mix of current and new members," said Walker.

150714-Z-HL234-025.jpg

the MC-12 looks like a modified Beechcraft Baron III.
Nope, look at the round windows. A Baron has squarish ones. IIRC it's based off a King Air 350 (looks the same as the State Troopers one). It's one of the preferred medevac birds (the 200 anyway) in Alaska along with Lear 35's. There were a few based out of the FBO I worked at.

Nope, look at the round windows. A Baron has squarish ones. IIRC it's based off a King Air 350 (looks the same as the State Troopers one). It's one of the preferred medevac birds (the 200 anyway) in Alaska along with Lear 35's. There were a few based out of the FBO I worked at.

the Kings do have a slightly better STOL rating than the Baron III, makes sense.

They make an amazing civvie jump platform. This guy in Ohio had a t-tail 200 with a massive side door and a good 8 or 10 inch step on the outside. More like a ledge though because it ran from over the wing to past the door. The plane held 20 or 22 (the regular King's, the B90's, held 14 with a tiny 4-man door) and you could put most of the load outside and in the door without upsetting the CG.

A King Air is like a -130 because of the airframe's potential. By that I mean you can pack a bunch of mission profiles into the a/c.

I firmly believe the unsung heroes or contributors to the GWOT are the guys and gals flying various iterations of the -12. I don't think many in the military, forget the civilian world, know how much they did for those on the ground.

They make an amazing civvie jump platform. This guy in Ohio had a t-tail 200 with a massive side door and a good 8 or 10 inch step on the outside. More like a ledge though because it ran from over the wing to past the door. The plane held 20 or 22 (the regular King's, the B90's, held 14 with a tiny 4-man door) and you could put most of the load outside and in the door without upsetting the CG.

A King Air is like a -130 because of the airframe's potential. By that I mean you can pack a bunch of mission profiles into the a/c.

I firmly believe the unsung heroes or contributors to the GWOT are the guys and gals flying various iterations of the -12. I don't think many in the military, forget the civilian world, know how much they did for those on the ground.

My brother and his buddies flew some very rewarding missions, by his account. He said he loved working with/for the guys on the ground. I wish more people realized how much truth there is in the bold in your post.
Thank you, from the brother of an MC12 sensor operator.

Ive got about 40 jumps out of that type of airframe at this point. Pretty sweet.

Ive got about 40 jumps out of that type of airframe at this point. Pretty sweet.

Mike Mullins has a DZ near Memphis, and runs one of the fastest climbing KA's in the country. It is a B90 on steroids and the only "bad" thing is the door. The upside is he goes from takeoff to "Exit, exit, exit" in 6 minutes. That's 14,500 in 6 minutes. He used to (probably still does but with a different price point) run a "boogie-till-you-puke" for $99. All you can jump in two days for $99. I did 14 or 15 jumps in one weekend, packing and everything, and was spent by the last two jumps. Fatigue to the point of being a safety issue. The hardcore guys were logging 20 or so in a weekend.

Back