Our broken awards system

-Soldier must be personally present and actively engaging or being engaged by the enemy, and performing satisfactorily in accordance with the prescribed rules of engagement.

Similar to the CAR.

...the individual must have participated in a bona fide ground or surface combat fire fight or action during which he was under enemy fire and his performance while under fire was satisfactory.

Except...the former says "actively engaging OR being engaged..." which means, I guess, that technically, if your engaging the enemy but they're not shooting back, you're still eligible.

The CAR eligibility makes it clear you must be under enemy fire.

Last edited:
I think this part is the difference between the CAB and the "C", "Soldier must be personally present and actively engaging or being engaged by the enemy, and performing satisfactorily in accordance with the prescribed rules of engagement."

I agree Sir,...had to step back for a sec and look again at the wording of the criteria.

The CIB/CMB/CAB as they were intended to be awarded, were good ideas. The way many have been awarded them, takes away from the meaning IMHO. More than a few TOC bitches and FOBBIT's sticking their chests out with badges they didn't earn.

$.02

Hey if there is one thing I know about the Army is that you guys only add flair, you don't take it away.

bHJ7aqj.jpg

Y6uQihK.jpg

Qp3a5Ui.jpg

Back