Our broken awards system

This was was worth reading -

It gives some insight into the politics that go into valor awards. If true, a few of the suggested reasons for an award be knocked down are pretty infuriating.

This paragraph from the piece took me by surprise.

Another glaring disparity, Sterner said, is the lack of even a single Medal of Honor for any Air Force personnel dating to 9/11. The service's senior leaders have indicated there are at least two names who appear to meet the necessary criteria: Robert Gutierrez and Dustin Temple, both combat controllers recognized with Air Force Crosses for extraordinary lifesaving actions in Afghanistan.

The military's massive valor awards review will result in fewer than 100 upgrades

It gives some insight into the politics that go into valor awards. If true, a few of the suggested reasons for an award be knocked down are pretty infuriating.

Another glaring disparity, Sterner said, is the lack of even a single Medal of Honor for any Air Force personnel dating to 9/11. The service's senior leaders have indicated there are at least two names who appear to meet the necessary criteria: Robert Gutierrez and Dustin Temple, both combat controllers recognized with Air Force Crosses for extraordinary lifesaving actions in Afghanistan.

The military's massive valor awards review will result in fewer than 100 upgrades

John Chapman deserves an upgrade as well, IMHO. We had a thread, or it was discussed in a thread, on here awhile back. I'll see if I can find it.

Air Force Magazine

ETA: I found that thread.

The Battle of Takur Ghar

Half the dudes in my Combined Action Platoon should've gotten Bronze w/V but the Marines are stingy. I know an Army veteran, a former Public Information Pogue at Pleiku, who got a Bronze because he and his CO were both Buckeyes. Fuck it. It don't mean nothin. You know and your bros know what really happened. If it were up to me every goddam American who fought on Takur Ghar would've gotten a medal.

It doesn't surprise me to see a bunch of awards at NSW upgraded. They've already awarded more valor awards in the GWOT (and book deals) than their much bigger brother ARSOF....and the entire Marine Corps.

Interesting changes to military awards. I don't have any issue with these changes, although there need to be a lot more changes to the awards system, as has been discussed in this thread.

12 military awards now eligible for new 'C' and 'R' devices, and 2 no longer rate a 'V'

Interesting and probably for the good...but I was hoping to see the demise of the administrative Bronze Star. The name is so associated--at least in public perception--with action under fire, its use as an award for non-combat achievement seems confusing to the uninitiated and unfair to people who've had to hang their ass over the edge.

Interesting changes to military awards. I don't have any issue with these changes, although there need to be a lot more changes to the awards system, as has been discussed in this thread.

12 military awards now eligible for new 'C' and 'R' devices, and 2 no longer rate a 'V'

I don't think they should have stripped the achievement medals of the combat V. Let's be honest, the Marine Corps is the only service that did it because our awards system is super stingy. I got an achievement medal with v (and Purple Heart) for my deployment into Baghdad ISO 10th Mountain during the surge. My Army peers all got Bronze Stars. The different services administer awards differently. No reason to cut the V off an achievement medal.

This alphabet soup business seems excessively complicated and now you can earn a VCR on your commendation medal if you play your cards right.

Heh, not me...I'm retired 8-)

But you know how they like to retro stuff for GWOT

EDIT: missed where only retro to Jan 2016.

Last edited:
I don't think they should have stripped the achievement medals of the combat V. Let's be honest, the Marine Corps is the only service that did it because our awards system is super stingy. I got an achievement medal with v (and Purple Heart) for my deployment into Baghdad ISO 10th Mountain during the surge. My Army peers all got Bronze Stars. The different services administer awards differently. No reason to cut the V off an achievement medal.

This alphabet soup business seems excessively complicated and now you can earn a VCR on your commendation medal if you play your cards right.

No disrespect sir, but I couldn't help notice the correlation between Marine Corps award stinginess and your ratio of "likes" received to that of "likes" given out.:D

For the Army, the C device could eliminate the need for the CAB....

I don't think so. Isn't the CAB a badge to denote being in direct combat? The C device, as I understand it, indicates that the award was earned in a war zone but not necessarily in harms way. Your admin clerk could earn a comm with C but not meet the requirements for a CAB for example.

Anyway, aren't you guys adopting an expert version of the CAB to parallel the EIB?

I don't think so. Isn't the CAB a badge to denote being in direct combat? The C device, as I understand it, indicates that the award was earned in a war zone but not necessarily in harms way. Your admin clerk could earn a comm with C but not meet the requirements for a CAB for example.

Anyway, aren't you guys adopting an expert version of the CAB to parallel the EIB?

IDK, Sir. Reads to me like direct combat is the qualifier.

“C” device. Recognizes meritorious service or achievement under combat conditions, and authorized only if the service or achievement was performed while personnel were exposed to hostile action or significant risk:
  • While engaged in action against an enemy of the U.S.
  • While engaged in military operations involving conflict with a foreign force.
  • While serving with friendly forces engaged in armed conflict in which the U.S. is not a principal party.

IDK, Sir. Reads to me like direct combat is the qualifier.

“C” device. Recognizes meritorious service or achievement under combat conditions, and authorized only if the service or achievement was performed while personnel were exposed to hostile action or significant risk:
  • While engaged in action against an enemy of the U.S.
  • While engaged in military operations involving conflict with a foreign force.
  • While serving with friendly forces engaged in armed conflict in which the U.S. is not a principal party.
I.e. In receipt of imminent danger pay. Being on a FOB in Iraq exposes you to hostile action because you could get mortared.

Pretty close language...except for the hostile /imminent danger pay.

CAB criteria:
-May be awarded to any Soldier.
-Soldier must be performing assigned duties in an area where hostile fire pay or imminent danger pay is authorized.
-Soldier must be personally present and actively engaging or being engaged by the enemy, and performing satisfactorily in accordance with the prescribed rules of engagement.
-Soldier must NOT be assigned or attached to a unit that would qualify the Soldier for the Combat Infantry Badge (CIB/Combat Medical Badge (CMB). For example, an 11B assigned to Corps staff is eligible for award of the CAB. However, an 11B assigned to an infantry battalion is not eligible for award of the CAB.
-In addition to Army Soldiers, the CAB may also be awarded to members of other U.S. Armed Forces and foreign military personnel assigned to a U.S. Army unit, provided they meet the above criteria (for example, KATUSA’s in the 2d Infantry Division).

I think this part is the difference between the CAB and the "C", "Soldier must be personally present and actively engaging or being engaged by the enemy, and performing satisfactorily in accordance with the prescribed rules of engagement."

Back