PC Builds and Command Center setups

The new comp hauls. I changed the mobo and the graphics card to the 2080 TI before it shipped. Only did that because they were out of stock of my initial order parts. The PC hauls, very happy with it. My case decision in my mind is bad but only because I wanted better ventilation but it isn't terrible.

26426 2642726428

Below is my setup. I'm thinking of upgrading the board and processor soon though. To something like a LGA2066 chipset and i9, but probably gonna get another deployment in before I pick that up. I picked up two of the 970EVO NVMe M.2 drives last week while on sale. Put one in my desktop and about to put the other in my laptop.

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540
Motherboard: ASRock > Fatal1ty X99 Professional
Processor: Intel i7 8820K 3.30Gz 6-cores
Memory: 32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200mhz DDR4 4x8GB
CPU AIO: Corsair H150i Pro
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 FTW3
SSD: Samsung 970EVO 1TB NVMe M.2
SSD: M4-CT512GB
SSD: OCZ-Agelity3 512GB
HDD: Western Digital 1TB 7200rpm
HDD: Western Digital 1TB 7200rpm
Power Supply: Corsair RM850
Monitors: MSI Optix MAG27CQ x3

Network Attached Storage: QNAP 2bay with Western Digital Red 4TB x2

Oculus Rift VR setup

It that one of those adjustable desks? The setup looks good. I almost went with a 3 monitor setup, but I couldn't justify it. Also, I would recommend a UPS for that setup to protect from surges and such. Found a good deal on a few through Amazon.

Yeah. The desk is a 6 foot length powered adjustable sit/standing.

I have a CyberPower 1500VA/900W UPS

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out which monitors to pick up. ended up skipping out on the gsync for the 3 MSI curved.. Was looking for this experience and picked them up at the local Microcenter for cheaper than newegg and amazon.

Yeah. The desk is a 6 foot length powered adjustable sit/standing.

I have a CyberPower 1500VA/900W UPS

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out which monitors to pick up. ended up skipping out on the gsync for the 3 MSI curved.. Was looking for this experience and picked them up at the local Microcenter for cheaper than newegg and amazon.

View attachment 26440
awesome. I thought I noticed that desk. I almost went with a curved monitor but was scared to. I have never gotten to sit down in front of one, let along multiple. I hear great things about Microcenter, but we, unfortunately don't have any within 300 miles.

awesome. I thought I noticed that desk. I almost went with a curved monitor but was scared to. I have never gotten to sit down in front of one, let along multiple. I hear great things about Microcenter, but we, unfortunately don't have any within 300 miles.

I only just heard about them after moving to the DC area.. We didn't have them in Florida. They remind me a lot of Fry's out in California, or like what Comp USA used to be. The employees work of heavy off of commission, so they can get a little annoying.

Took only a day to get used to the curved monitors. Better than my previous setup. Two 28" 1920x1200 and a 28" 4k in the middle. Now I have 3x 2560x1440 and it just looks better. I might miss playing my games in 4k, but I think 2k is good enough for me.

When I was pricing out new monitors, I was also considering the ultrawides. In the end, I'd only be able to do a 34" at 1080 and didn't want to go down that low. It did look nice though. I've heard screen management is a bit of a pain without special software. People spend a lot of time getting their windows just right.

Don't have any pictures right and it's an awful mess at the moment. But below is the specs of my PC setup. Will try to get some pictures tonight when I get off work. I need to replace my monitor (or I "want" to replace it at least), but I play just about anything....mmorpg, fps, moba, again...just about anything that peaks mine and my friends' interest.

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Mid-Tower)
Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 3.5 Ghz (OC: 4.0 Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Dual-Radiator Closed Loop Liquid Cooling
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 1080 Ti
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw V Series 16GB (8GB x2)
HDD: 2TB Seagate Hybrid Drive
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
PSU: XFX 550W

Mouse: Logitech G703 (Wireless) w/ the mousepad for charging
Headset: Corsair Void Pro RBG
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Elite
Monitor: HP 25" LED (Need to replace)

So, I'm thinking of getting a desktop again. I haven't bought or upgraded since 2012 aside from swapping an HHD for and SSD.

Current Rig, a laptop.
INTEL CORE I7 2760QM 2.4GHZ 4 CORE 6MB
4x1GB Crucial 1333MHZ SODIM RAM
GTX 560M 1.5GB

Built by Falcon Northwest in April of 2012.

I'm mainly looking to do a media station and network for our new house, with the desktop as the hub.

A) I know they are pricey, but Falcon does excellent work. I run the system hard between gaming and media. Should I build or use Falcon again for this setup?

B) Suggestions on minimum requirements to last me the next 5-8 years? (I know it's hard to predict, but I'm not looking to play the latest FPS either.) I'm planning to use dual monitors, one being a 4KHD TV and the other a traditional monitor. Possibly a second traditional monitor.

C) Anyone able to give me insight on how to network the whole house for media retrieval? Brand new home, CAT6 throughout.

Working with this as our router: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M12RE4A/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_voDACb83CQMW3

Random note, I went with Falcon Northwest as they were and are the only truly independent high end, custom computer builder, and they do amazing paint work for the cases. I'll post a picture later.

Here's the upgrade. I suck at cable management and don't care. The free-running SATA cable goes to the DVD drive and was corrected later that day. It runs like a champ, the M.2 gives me a power on to logon screen time of 15 seconds. The old SATA drive was a horrific 18 seconds for the same benchmark.

Serious question: what do you guys use these for? Crypto-currency mining?

images

Serious question: what do you guys use these for? Crypto-currency mining?

Everything but, including smut perusal. Let's be honest, some of the first programs for computers included getting a dot matrix printer to shit out a set of tits for you.

Unless you've used a multi-monitor computer, you don't understand it's utility. Once you have used one even just for recreational use, let alone professionally, you'll feel hindered any time you're on a single monitor system UNLESS it's an ultra-wide monitor configuration.

Back