Pirates... Again!!

The only thing I hate more than Islamic militants is pirates. :mad: If any of you crazy ex-SOF types are starting up an anti-pirate PMC and you need a good intel guy (or an intel guy who knows how to use a .50), I'm going to be looking to join up after I get out...

The only thing I hate more than Islamic militants is pirates. :mad: If any of you crazy ex-SOF types are starting up an anti-pirate PMC and you need a good intel guy (or an intel guy who knows how to use a .50), I'm going to be looking to join up after I get out...
I do Oceanography too.

Biggest issue is bringing weapons into foreign ports, you have to do at sea crew swaps, and transfer weapons in international waters to avoid those issues also.

You might not even have to leave the U.S. The Coast Guard is being restricted from doing some of the jobs that Congress assigned. Over the rail ops, even on drug raids, are no longer our purview. Risk avoidance is getting ridiculous.

Surely you can't hate these pirates.

I do Oceanography too.

Biggest issue is bringing weapons into foreign ports, you have to do at sea crew swaps, and transfer weapons in international waters to avoid those issues also.

No you don't, with most countries as long as you leave the weapons in a bonded store that's usually sealed it's not an issue.

We just payed a ransom to free another ship.... (last week)...
Holy cow. No wonder they took another Italian ship. That's a lot of ransom money.
http://gcaptain.com/pirates-release-savina-caylyn/?35861
Pirates Release MV Savina Caylyn For Reported $11.5m
by GCAPTAIN STAFF on DECEMBER 21, 2011
image002.jpg
M/V Savina Caylyn. Photo: EU NAVFOR
By JD, Somalia Report
Somali pirates have just released the Italian-flagged oil tanker MV Savina Caylyn for a ransom of $11.5 million, according to pirate sources. The 22 crew members, composed of 17 Indians and five Italians, had spent 11 months in captivity.
The ransom was delivered in two installments, with the first payment of $8.5 million dropped on board the vessel by helicopter early Wednesday, and a second package of $3 million arriving at 12:30pm (0930 GMT).
At 2:00pm (1100 GMT), the pirates finally released the vessel.

For some reason they want this to continue. We could bring this to an end if anybody was serious about stopping this stupidity. I rode a Government Research vessel crewed by DOD civillians and weapons and foreign ports were anything but as clear as some here have said.
There are Lasers with a 1,250 yard effective range that fit in a 10X10cube and could be listed as a lot of things including cargo and would not be considered a weapon in port. Hit the engine and you have a row boat adrift. You could increase that range considerably and have a boat full of Stevie Wonders in a row boat. There is something keeping private security firms from ending this problem.

§ 70106. MARITIME SAFETY AND SECURITY TEAMS
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/usc_sec_46_00070106----000-.html

and

§ 70103. MARITIME TRANSPORTATION SECURITY PLANS
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode46/usc_sec_46_00070103----000-.html

versus

Federal agencies must fulfill border duties
Washington failures enable demagoguery on immigration.
Express-News staff writer Gary Martin reported from the Hearst Washington Bureau that congressional legislation passed in 2010 ordered the Coast Guard to conduct an analysis of how it could operate on the Rio Grande to reduce piracy, smuggling and violent crimes. The analysis was due last Jan. 15.
But Adm. Robert Papp informed a congressional committee this week that the Coast Guard missed the deadline. “My fault,” Papp was quoted as saying.

and
We’ve stopped training for hook-and-climb until somebody demonstrates to me that there is a need for us to do it, or that the capability to do it [does not reside] in other places in the government. SEALS, for instance, I know SEALS are capable of doing it. … Do we need to duplicate it in the Coast Guard? ~ Admiral Papp
  • Is it redundant if the USCG is the only domestic LE agency with the boats & ships to actually do the tactics on a national scale?
  • Is justifying the need really still an issue?
  • Who’s pushing the misinformation?

Back