PJ Prep

SARTECH2X1

Unverified
This is a question for any of you past or present PJs out there. Do you have any tips on how to prepare for PJ training/post training operations besides the physical fitness stuff?

Thanks,

Sartech

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your motivation to be a PJ. Now that that's out of the way, use the search option and become a sponge. Asking questions that have already been answered or such generic questions (like yours) that leave a guy like me confused on where to start, is not the way to get information.
Since you're not even a cone yet, you should be focus on the physical fitness stuff...go pt.

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your motivation to be a PJ. Now that that's out of the way, use the search option and become a sponge. Asking questions that have already been answered or such generic questions (like yours) that leave a guy like me confused on where to start, is not the way to get information.
Since you're not even a cone yet, you should be focus on the physical fitness stuff...go pt.

x2. I have ZERO idea how to even answer your vague question. You might have well have asked "What is the meaning of life?" or "What is the airspeed of an african swallow?"

Search, hide, watch, learn, come back with more specific questions. There are AT LEAST 5 books I can think of that detail Pararescue pretty well. Go find them and read them. Anything that isnt clear after that, feel free to ask one of us.

x2. I have ZERO idea how to even answer your vague question. You might have well have asked "What is the meaning of life?" or "What is the airspeed of an african swallow?"

Search, hide, watch, learn, come back with more specific questions. There are AT LEAST 5 books I can think of that detail Pararescue pretty well. Go find them and read them. Anything that isnt clear after that, feel free to ask one of us.

im assuming your asking about academic "stuff". the only thing i would venture to say for now is maybe anatomy and physiology. even with a&p i wouldnt delve into it to much. just go to barnes and nobles and get one of those color by number study guides. just like AM and JAJ said you arent even a student yet. you need to arrive at indoc as close to grad standards as possible. so thats what you need to be focusing on...PT and mental toughness. you will receive the training you need when you need it thats why theres a pipeline. the academics at indoc arent rocket science...theyre not easy but also not something i would worry about prior to.

heres some sites to help you out

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=pararescue

http://rescueathlete.com

http://rescueathlete.com/blog

im assuming your asking about academic "stuff". the only thing i would venture to say for now is maybe anatomy and physiology. even with a&p i wouldnt delve into it to much. just go to barnes and nobles and get one of those color by number study guides. just like AM and JAJ said you arent even a student yet. you need to arrive at indoc as close to grad standards as possible. so thats what you need to be focusing on...PT and mental toughness. you will receive the training you need when you need it thats why theres a pipeline. the academics at indoc arent rocket science...theyre not easy but also not something i would worry about prior to.

heres some sites to help you out

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=pararescue

http://rescueathlete.com

http://rescueathlete.com/blog

Holy CRAP that google thing was freaking funny. Well done bro, Funny times 2.

Thanks for the info. Looking back i realize that was an extremely vague question. But thank you. The message Im getting is "PT, PT, PT, and if you have energy left after the PT read for 5 minutes."

Hey-I am the mom of the PJ Wannabe at Grizzly Youth Academy. At Grizzly they get smoked at PT. He is working as hard as he can during this time to get fit-He said he didn't know how out of shape he was. I am sure he will be super fit at the end of those 22 months-He is seventeen, a wiry 5'8" tall and 135 lbs. Yes-You can be ripped at 135, just not big. He thinks he will need awhile to prepare physically once he gets home. I can't wait to see how much poundage he will have put on by the time these 22 months are over. But they only get fed 3 times a day and no snacks so that could be a problem. Since he is in a barracks style dorm, no place to bring food in either-It's not allowed anyway.

My son does not have pool access while at Grizzly.I talked to the local High School swim coach. He runs a swim school as well. He said that with a few sessions and a little practice he should be able to do the 400 meter in under 11.00 no problem.

Besides the pool access, I believe the kind of PT he is getting now is just the kind of training he needs to prepare physically for the PAST. I would think the sooner the better after he leaves Grizzly to take his New Accessions PAST

What about Air Force Basic Training and the second PAST? 20 some odd years ago, when it was six weeks long. I remember the super fit guys saying they got "Less Fit" during Basic Training. Is this still the case?

Obviously my son is a sinker, but he knows how to float and treads water regardless.

I did not know my son could get kicked out if he gets washed out at INDOC. He is supposed to choose an AFSC at MEPS get sworn in, then take his PAST.The recruiter (surprise) never mentioned this either. Is this only during INDOC? And is it Honorable? Could one perhaps join another branch of the military?

What about the skiing portion later on? Could a non skiier have enough time in PJ training get enough time to be profficient? Or should he wait to join until after ski season this year? He is a fiend on the quads!

Thanks,
Tracy

Hey-I am the mom of the PJ Wannabe at Grizzly Youth Academy. At Grizzly they get smoked at PT. He is working as hard as he can during this time to get fit-He said he didn't know how out of shape he was. I am sure he will be super fit at the end of those 22 months-He is seventeen, a wiry 5'8" tall and 135 lbs. Yes-You can be ripped at 135, just not big. He thinks he will need awhile to prepare physically once he gets home. I can't wait to see how much poundage he will have put on by the time these 22 months are over. But they only get fed 3 times a day and no snacks so that could be a problem. Since he is in a barracks style dorm, no place to bring food in either-It's not allowed anyway.

My son does not have pool access while at Grizzly.I talked to the local High School swim coach. He runs a swim school as well. He said that with a few sessions and a little practice he should be able to do the 400 meter in under 11.00 no problem.

im still pretty sure the recruiter is wrong. is grizzly youth acadamey in california? if so i'll PM you the email to the special tactics recruiter out there. he's a great dude and will have way more info for you and your son. they now have designated BMT flights for guranteed PJ/CCT recruits so they get have a little bit more specific PT for them...but its still not enough.

tell him to look into rescueathlete.com when he gets back and not to worry about skiing...you dont get that training until you are already a PJ.

Back